Subject Areas on Research
- "Pain is Subjective": A Mixed-Methods Study of Provider Attitudes and Practices Regarding Pain Management in Sickle Cell Disease Across Three Countries.
- Letter to the Editor: Differences in Rate of Stimulant Medication Use for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder by Western and Non-Western Origins.
- A Non-Inferiority, Individually Randomized Trial of Intermittent Screening and Treatment versus Intermittent Preventive Treatment in the Control of Malaria in Pregnancy.
- A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of the Prevalence of Community-Onset Bloodstream Infections among Hospitalized Patients in Africa and Asia.
- A comparative analysis of temporomandibular joint morphology in the African apes.
- A pilot study of PTSD symptoms among Kalahari Bushmen.
- Access to care solutions in healthcare for obstetric care in Africa: A systematic review.
- Access to lifesaving medical resources for African countries: COVID-19 testing and response, ethics, and politics.
- Addressing the Know-Do Gap in Adolescent HIV: Framing and Measuring Implementation Determinants, Outcomes, and Strategies in the AHISA Network.
- Adherence to cancer prevention guidelines in 18 African countries.
- Africa and AIDS: still much work to be done.
- Africa's visionary editor.
- Africa: sequence 100,000 species to safeguard biodiversity.
- Africa: still the "dark continent".
- African elephants and contraception.
- African heads of state promise action against malaria.
- African origin of the malaria parasite Plasmodium vivax.
- Alkaloids of some African, Asian, Polynesian and Australian species of Erythrina.
- Antiretroviral therapy enrollment characteristics and outcomes among HIV-infected adolescents and young adults compared with older adults--seven African countries, 2004-2013.
- Apes in Africa: The cultured chimpanzees.
- Aridity weakens population-level effects of multiple species interactions on Hibiscus meyeri .
- Assessing priorities for combination HIV prevention research for men who have sex with men (MSM) in Africa.
- Assessment of cardiovascular reactivity: a methodological overview.
- Association between angiographic complications and clinical outcomes among patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: an EARLY ACS (Early Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa Inhibition in Non-ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome) angiographic substudy.
- Asynchronous carbon sink saturation in African and Amazonian tropical forests.
- Atractiella rhizophila, sp. nov., an endorrhizal fungus isolated from the Populus root microbiome.
- Burden of HIV among female sex workers in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Burden, pathology, and costs of malaria in pregnancy: new developments for an old problem.
- CCL3L1 and HIV/AIDS susceptibility.
- Cancer registration needs assessment at a tertiary medical centre in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
- Cataract surgery programmes in Africa.
- Changes in Malaria Epidemiology in Africa and New Challenges for Elimination.
- Characteristics, management, and outcomes of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in Africa: a multicountry observational study from the Africa Liver Cancer Consortium.
- Chinese People's Liberation Army on Action of Fighting against Ebola in Africa: Implications and Challenges.
- Chinese medical teams in Africa: a flagship program facing formidable challenges.
- Climate change, disease range shifts, and the future of the Africa lion.
- Clinical practice patterns on the use of magnesium sulphate for treatment of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia: a multi-country survey.
- Co-evolution of a broadly neutralizing HIV-1 antibody and founder virus.
- Cohort-specific rural-urban migration in Africa.
- Commentary: Sir Arthur Mitchell--pioneer of psychiatric epidemiology and of community care.
- Commentary: economic crisis or structural adjustment--which is worse for child health in African countries?
- Comments on the adaptive strategy of the first African anthropoids.
- Comparative analysis of the genome sequences and replication profiles of chikungunya virus isolates within the East, Central and South African (ECSA) lineage.
- Comparison of real-time PCR and microscopy for malaria parasite detection in Malawian pregnant women.
- Competition influences tree growth, but not mortality, across environmental gradients in Amazonia and tropical Africa.
- Constrained Total Energy Expenditure and Metabolic Adaptation to Physical Activity in Adult Humans.
- Convergent adaptation of human lactase persistence in Africa and Europe.
- Cryptococcus gattii Species Complex as an Opportunistic Pathogen: Underlying Medical Conditions Associated with the Infection.
- Daily rifapentine for treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. A randomized, dose-ranging trial.
- Differences between HIV-Infected men and women in antiretroviral therapy outcomes - six African countries, 2004-2012.
- Discovery and fine-mapping of height loci via high-density imputation of GWASs in individuals of African ancestry.
- Disparities in cardiovascular research output and citations from 52 African countries: a time-trend, bibliometric analysis (1999-2008).
- Distribution of transferrin saturations in the African-American population.
- Diversity and carbon storage across the tropical forest biome.
- Effect of Plasmodium falciparum sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance on the effectiveness of intermittent preventive therapy for malaria in pregnancy in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Effect of community-based voluntary counselling and testing on HIV incidence and social and behavioural outcomes (NIMH Project Accept; HPTN 043): a cluster-randomised trial.
- Elevated risk for HIV infection among men who have sex with men in low- and middle-income countries 2000-2006: a systematic review.
- Engaging men in prevention and care for HIV/AIDS in Africa.
- Epidemiology of Coxiella burnetii infection in Africa: a OneHealth systematic review.
- Epidemiology of Leptospirosis in Africa: A Systematic Review of a Neglected Zoonosis and a Paradigm for 'One Health' in Africa.
- Estimating Chinese bilateral aid for health: an analysis of AidData's Global Chinese Official Finance Dataset Version 2.0.
- Evolution of Pleopsidium (lichenized Ascomycota) S943 group I introns and the phylogeography of an intron-encoded putative homing endonuclease.
- Expression and trans-specific polymorphism of self-incompatibility RNases in coffea (Rubiaceae).
- Factors affecting compliance with clinical practice guidelines for pap smear screening among healthcare providers in africa: systematic review and meta-summary of 2045 individuals.
- Female and male life tables for seven wild primate species.
- Female genital schistosomiasis.
- Fulfilling the specialist neurosurgical workforce needs in Africa: a systematic review and projection toward 2030.
- Gender Differences in Radiation Dose From Nuclear Cardiology Studies Across the World: Findings From the INCAPS Registry.
- Genetic structure of typical and atypical populations of Candida albicans from Africa.
- Genetic variants in novel pathways influence blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk.
- Genetic variation in yellow fever virus: duplication in the 3' noncoding region of strains from Africa.
- Genome-wide association analysis of blood-pressure traits in African-ancestry individuals reveals common associated genes in African and non-African populations.
- Global Estimates on the Number of People Blind or Visually Impaired by Diabetic Retinopathy: A Meta-analysis From 1990 to 2010.
- Great ape genetic diversity and population history.
- HIV attitudes, awareness and testing among older adults in Africa.
- HIV testing and engagement with the HIV treatment cascade among men who have sex with men in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Hemoglobinopathies: slicing the Gordian knot of Plasmodium falciparum malaria pathogenesis.
- IAEA survey of paediatric computed tomography practice in 40 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa: procedures and protocols.
- IAEA survey of pediatric CT practice in 40 countries in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Africa: Part 1, frequency and appropriateness.
- INternational ORthopaedic MUlticentre Study (INORMUS) in Fracture Care: Protocol for a Large Prospective Observational Study.
- Image quality and dose in mammography in 17 countries in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe: results from IAEA projects.
- Implementation of Tuberculosis Intensive Case Finding, Isoniazid Preventive Therapy, and Infection Control ("Three I's") and HIV-Tuberculosis Service Integration in Lower Income Countries.
- Implementation science research for the scale-up of evidence-based interventions for sickle cell disease in africa: a commentary.
- Implications of Black Immigrant Health for U.S. Racial Disparities in Health
- Increased mortality and AIDS-like immunopathology in wild chimpanzees infected with SIVcpz.
- Inherited causes of clonal haematopoiesis in 97,691 whole genomes.
- LGBT Africa: a social justice movement emerges in the era of HIV.
- Leave no one behind: response to new evidence and guidelines for the management of cryptococcal meningitis in low-income and middle-income countries.
- Leprosy: biblical opprobrium?
- Lethal aggression in Pan is better explained by adaptive strategies than human impacts.
- Letter: Allometry and early hominids.
- Lopinavir/Ritonavir Monotherapy as Second-line Antiretroviral Treatment in Resource-Limited Settings: Week 104 Analysis of AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) A5230.
- Lopinavir/ritonavir monotherapy after virologic failure of first-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings.
- Lower Levels of Antiretroviral Therapy Enrollment Among Men with HIV Compared with Women - 12 Countries, 2002-2013.
- Many globally isolated AD hybrid strains of Cryptococcus neoformans originated in Africa.
- Masticatory form and function in the African apes.
- Mechanics of heel-strike plantigrady in African apes.
- Miner and Doctor: A Topography of Injustice.
- Multidisciplinary care results in similar maternal and perinatal mortality rates for women with and without SCD in a low-resource setting.
- Mutualism or parasitism? Using a phylogenetic approach to characterize the oxpecker-ungulate relationship.
- NIMH Project Accept (HPTN 043): results from in-depth interviews with a longitudinal cohort of community members.
- Nativity and cigarette smoking among lower income blacks: results from the Healthy Directions Study.
- Nuclear cardiology practices and radiation exposure in Africa: results from the IAEA Nuclear Cardiology Protocols Study (INCAPS).
- Overcoming biological, behavioral, and structural vulnerabilities: new directions in research to decrease HIV transmission in men who have sex with men.
- Paediatric CT examinations in 19 developing countries: frequency and radiation dose.
- Pathogen-specific burdens of community diarrhoea in developing countries: a multisite birth cohort study (MAL-ED).
- Patient doses in radiographic examinations in 12 countries in Asia, Africa, and Eastern Europe: initial results from IAEA projects.
- Patterns of mandibular variation in Pan and Gorilla and implications for African ape taxonomy.
- Population frequencies of the Triallelic 5HTTLPR in six Ethnicially diverse samples from North America, Southeast Asia, and Africa.
- Population genetic analyses reveal the African origin and strain variation of Cryptococcus neoformans var. grubii.
- Predicting CD4 lymphocyte count <200 cells/mm(3) in an HIV type 1-infected African population.
- Prevalence and Etiology of Community-acquired Pneumonia in Immunocompromised Patients.
- Prevalence and Incidence of Traumatic Experiences Among Orphans in Institutional and Family-Based Settings in 5 Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Longitudinal Study.
- Productivity is a poor predictor of plant species richness
- Psychological health of orphan bonobos and chimpanzees in African sanctuaries.
- QTL Mapping in Three Rice Populations Uncovers Major Genomic Regions Associated with African Rice Gall Midge Resistance.
- Racial inequity of access to carotid imaging.
- Radiation exposure to patients during interventional procedures in 20 countries: initial IAEA project results.
- Radiology Education in Africa: Analysis of Results From 13 African Countries.
- Rapid changes in the gut microbiome during human evolution.
- Reduced adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected Tanzanians seeking cure from the Loliondo healer.
- Relationships among Common Illness Symptoms and the Protective Effect of Breastfeeding in Early Childhood in MAL-ED: An Eight-Country Cohort Study.
- Report on the 6th African Society of Human Genetics (AfSHG) Meeting, March 12-15, 2009, Yaounde, Cameroon.
- Research capacity. Enabling the genomic revolution in Africa.
- Responses of tropical native and invader C4 grasses to water stress, clipping and increased atmospheric CO2 concentration.
- Results of radiation therapy in gastric cancer.
- Retention in HIV Care During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period in the Option B+ Era: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Studies in Africa.
- Role of autophagy genetic variants for the risk of Candida infections.
- Roles of seed and establishment limitation in determining patterns of afrotropical tree recruitment.
- Safety and efficacy of the HIV-1 attachment inhibitor prodrug BMS-663068 in treatment-experienced individuals: 24 week results of AI438011, a phase 2b, randomised controlled trial.
- Science in Africa: The view from the front line.
- Science in Africa: The wheat stalker.
- Sickle cell disease and H3Africa: enhancing genomic research on cardiovascular diseases in African patients.
- Single origin of Malagasy Carnivora from an African ancestor.
- Subordinate Effect of -21M HLA-B Dimorphism on NK Cell Repertoire Diversity and Function in HIV-1 Infected Individuals of African Origin.
- Success hinges on support for treatment.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and HIV infection: a whimsical relationship. Reports of two cases and review of the literature.
- The 1984 Hunter Oration.
- The AIDS epidemic: lessons learned?
- The ASOS Surgical Risk Calculator: development and validation of a tool for identifying African surgical patients at risk of severe postoperative complications.
- The Boserup theory of agricultural growth: a model for anthropological economics.
- The Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology (CHAVI) multi-site quality assurance program for cryopreserved human peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
- The Household Registration System: computer software for the rapid dissemination of demographic surveillance systems.
- The Impacts of Oil Palm on Recent Deforestation and Biodiversity Loss.
- The Three Cs of a Scientific Autobiography: Curiosity, Circumstance, and Colleagues.
- The effects of Cenozoic global change on squirrel phylogeny.
- The heterosexual human immunodeficiency virus type 1 epidemic in Thailand is caused by an intersubtype (A/E) recombinant of African origin.
- The impact of large terrestrial carnivores on Pleistocene ecosystems
- Time for a "Third Wave" of malaria activism to tackle the drug stock-out crisis.
- Timing the ancestor of the HIV-1 pandemic strains.
- Towards Equity in Service Provision for Gay Men and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men in Repressive Contexts.
- Trends in Prevalence of Advanced HIV Disease at Antiretroviral Therapy Enrollment - 10 Countries, 2004-2015.
- Tropical heterothermy is "cool": The expression of daily torpor and hibernation in primates.
- Tuberculosis Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome in children initiating Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV infection: A systematic literature review.
- Twenty years of AIDS, and no end in sight. A BMJ theme issue will refocus attention on this catastrophic epidemic.
- Use of "entertainment" chimpanzees in commercials distorts public perception regarding their conservation status.
- Vaccine coverage and adherence to EPI schedules in eight resource poor settings in the MAL-ED cohort study.
- Variation in stochastic demography between and within central and peripheral regions in a widespread short-lived herb.
- WHO urges Africa to use more effective malaria medicines.
- Zoonotic infections: an emerging threat to human health.
- [Genetic structure of geographically different populations of candida albicans].
Keywords of People
- Ferrari, Guido, Professor in Surgery, Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Pimm, Stuart L., Doris Duke Distinguished Professor of Conservation Ecology in the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Duke Science & Society
- Poulsen, John, Associate Professor of Tropical Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Pusey, Anne, James B. Duke Distinguished Professor Emerita of Evolutionary Anthropology, Evolutionary Anthropology
- Roth, V. Louise, Professor of Biology, Evolutionary Anthropology
- Ukachukwu, Alvan, Research Scholar, Neurosurgery
- Whetten, Kathryn, Professor in the Sanford School of Public Policy, School of Nursing
- Zafar, Syed Yousuf, Adjunct Professor in the Department of Medicine, Duke Science & Society