Subject Areas on Research
- 1-Hydroxypyrene levels in coal-handling workers at a coke oven.
- A genome-wide trans-ethnic interaction study links the PIGR-FCAMR locus to coronary atherosclerosis via interactions between genetic variants and residential exposure to traffic.
- A longitudinal study of exposure to fine particulate matter during pregnancy, small-for-gestational age births, and birthweight percentile for gestational age in a statewide birth cohort.
- A systematic review of evidence for maternal preconception exposure to outdoor air pollution on Children's health.
- Acute change of lung function to short-term exposure to ambient air pollutants with and without physical activity: A real-world crossover study.
- Acute decreases in proteasome pathway activity after inhalation of fresh diesel exhaust or secondary organic aerosol.
- Acute pulmonary toxicity of particulate matter filter extracts in rats: coherence with epidemiologic studies in Utah Valley residents.
- Air Pollution and Health - A Science-Policy Initiative.
- Air Pollution and Pulmonary Tuberculosis: A Nested Case-Control Study among Members of a Northern California Health Plan.
- Air Pollution and the microvasculature: a cross-sectional assessment of in vivo retinal images in the population-based multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).
- Air Pollution in Patients With Heart Failure: Lessons From a Mechanistic Pilot Study of a Filter Intervention.
- Air Purifier Intervention to Remove Indoor PM2.5 in Urban China: A Cost-Effectiveness and Health Inequality Impact Study.
- Air impacts of increased natural gas acquisition, processing, and use: a critical review.
- Air pollution and China's ageing society.
- Air pollution and morbidity: a further analysis of the Los Angeles student nurses data.
- Air pollution and mortality in São Paulo, Brazil: Effects of multiple pollutants and analysis of susceptible populations.
- Air pollution and respiratory infections: the past, present, and future.
- Air pollution control strategies directly limiting national health damages in the US.
- Air pollution effects on ventilatory function of US schoolchildren. Results of studies in Cincinnati, Chattanooga, and New York.
- Air pollution in China, with Junfeng (Jim) Zhang by Ashley Ahearn.
- Air pollution, residential greenness, and metabolic dysfunction biomarkers: analyses in the Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey.
- Air pollution: clean up our skies.
- Air quality impacts and health-benefit valuation of a low-emission technology for rail yard locomotives in Atlanta Georgia.
- Airborne Fine Particles and Risk of Hospital Admissions for Understudied Populations: Effects by Urbanicity and Short-Term Cumulative Exposures in 708 U.S. Counties.
- All-cause mortality risk associated with long-term exposure to ambient PM2·5 in China: a cohort study.
- Ambient particulate matter and lung function growth in Chinese children.
- An evaluation of the effectiveness of a recirculating laboratory hood.
- Analysis of a workplace air particulate sample by synchronous luminescence and room-temperature phosphorescence.
- Analysis of alternative pathways for reducing nitrogen oxide emissions.
- Are environmental pollution and biodiversity levels associated to the spread and mortality of COVID-19? A four-month global analysis.
- Assessing exposure metrics for PM and birth weight models.
- Assessing the effects of ultraviolet radiation, residential greenness and air pollution on vitamin D levels: A longitudinal cohort study in China.
- Assessment of human exposure to ambient particulate matter.
- Association between changes in air pollution levels during the Beijing Olympics and biomarkers of inflammation and thrombosis in healthy young adults.
- Association between exposure to fine particulate matter and obesity in children: A national representative cross-sectional study in China.
- Association of Air Pollution Exposure in Childhood and Adolescence With Psychopathology at the Transition to Adulthood.
- Association of Ozone Exposure With Cardiorespiratory Pathophysiologic Mechanisms in Healthy Adults.
- Association of air pollution sources and aldehydes with biomarkers of blood coagulation, pulmonary inflammation, and systemic oxidative stress.
- Association of physical activity and air pollution exposure with the risk of type 2 diabetes: a large population-based prospective cohort study.
- Associations Between Long-Term Air Pollutant Exposure and 30-Day All-Cause Hospital Readmissions in US Patients With Stroke.
- Associations among plasma metabolite levels and short-term exposure to PM2.5 and ozone in a cardiac catheterization cohort.
- Associations between Environmental Quality and Mortality in the Contiguous United States, 2000-2005.
- Associations between time-weighted personal air pollution exposure and amino acid metabolism in healthy adults.
- Associations of county-level cumulative environmental quality with mortality of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and mortality of tracheal, bronchus and lung cancers.
- Associations of environmental factors with elderly health and mortality in China.
- Associations of ozone exposure with urinary metabolites of arachidonic acid.
- Associations of personal exposure to air pollutants with airway mechanics in children with asthma.
- Biofiltration of high loads of ethyl acetate in the presence of toluene.
- Biogas Stoves Reduce Firewood Use, Household Air Pollution, and Hospital Visits in Odisha, India.
- Boiler Briquette Coal versus Raw Coal: Part II-Energy, Greenhouse Gas, and Air Quality Implications.
- Boiler briquette coal versus raw coal: Part I--Stack gas emissions.
- Boundary layer model for air pollutant concentrations due to highway traffic.
- Cardiopulmonary Impact of Particulate Air Pollution in High-Risk Populations: JACC State-of-the-Art Review.
- Cardiorespiratory biomarker responses in healthy young adults to drastic air quality changes surrounding the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- Cardiovascular effects of traffic-related air pollution: A multi-omics analysis from a randomized, crossover trial.
- Cardiovascular outcomes and the physical and chemical properties of metal ions found in particulate matter air pollution: a QICAR study.
- Case study of the effects of atmospheric aerosols and regional haze on agriculture: an opportunity to enhance crop yields in China through emission controls?
- Changes of plasma vWF level in response to the improvement of air quality: an observation of 114 healthy young adults.
- Characterization of Spatial Air Pollution Patterns Near a Large Railyard Area in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Chemical constituents of ambient fine particulate matter and obesity among school-aged children: A representative national study in China.
- Childhood exposure to ambient air pollution and predicting individual risk of depression onset in UK adolescents.
- Childhood respiratory symptoms, hospital admissions, and long-term exposure to airborne particulate matter.
- Children's microenvironmental exposure to PM2.5 and ozone and the impact of indoor air filtration.
- Chronic exposure to air pollution particles increases the risk of obesity and metabolic syndrome: findings from a natural experiment in Beijing.
- Climate and air-quality benefits of a realistic phase-out of fossil fuels.
- Comparing Effects of FOXO3 and Residing in Urban Areas on Longevity: A Gene-Environment Interaction Study.
- Comparison of different packing materials for the biofiltration of air toxics.
- Comparison of gene expression profiles induced by coarse, fine, and ultrafine particulate matter.
- Composition of fine particulate matter and risk of preterm birth: A nationwide birth cohort study in 336 Chinese cities.
- Concentrations and source characteristics of airborne carbonyl compounds measured outside urban residences.
- Concentrations of urinary 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine and 8-isoprostane in women exposed to woodsmoke in a cookstove intervention study in San Marcos, Peru.
- Construction and economics of a pilot/full-scale biological trickling filter reactor for the removal of volatile organic compounds from polluted air.
- Controlled human exposures to ambient pollutant particles in susceptible populations.
- County-level cumulative environmental quality associated with cancer incidence.
- Cross influences of ozone and sulfate precursor emissions changes on air quality and climate.
- Curbing the U.S. carbon deficit.
- Current approaches used in epidemiologic studies to examine short-term multipollutant air pollution exposures.
- Data quality from a longitudinal study of adolescent health at schools near industrial livestock facilities.
- Deaths Attributable to Indoor PM2.5 in Urban China When Outdoor Air Meets 2021 WHO Air Quality Guidelines.
- Determination of elemental baseline using peltigeralean lichens from Northeastern Canada (Québec): Initial data collection for long term monitoring of the impact of global climate change on boreal and subarctic area in Canada.
- Development of the Low Emissions Analysis Platform - Integrated Benefits Calculator (LEAP-IBC) tool to assess air quality and climate co-benefits: Application for Bangladesh.
- Differences in Birth Weight Associated with the 2008 Beijing Olympics Air Pollution Reduction: Results from a Natural Experiment.
- Diffuse alveolar damage after exposure to an oil fly ash.
- Discovery and ramifications of incidental Magnéli phase generation and release from industrial coal-burning.
- Disparities in air quality downscaler model uncertainty across socioeconomic and demographic indicators in North Carolina.
- Dramatic increase in autism prevalence parallels explosion of research into its biology and causes.
- Dynamic molecular choreography induced by traffic exposure: A randomized, crossover trial using multi-omics profiling.
- Early Life Exposure to Air Pollution and Autism Spectrum Disorder: Findings from a Multisite Case-Control Study.
- Economic evaluation of the benefits of reducing acute cardiorespiratory morbidity associated with air pollution.
- Effect of FOXO3 and Air Pollution on Cognitive Function: A Longitudinal Cohort Study of Older Adults in China From 2000 to 2014.
- Effect of starvation on the performance and re-acclimation of biotrickling filters for air pollution control.
- Effects of a Cookstove Intervention on Cardiac Structure, Cardiac Function, and Blood Pressure in Western Kenya.
- Effects of air pollution on children's respiratory health in three Chinese cities.
- Effects of air pollution on respiratory health of adults in three Chinese cities.
- Effects of ambient ozone concentrations with different averaging times on asthma exacerbations: A meta-analysis.
- Effects of personal air pollutant exposure on oxidative stress: Potential confounding by natural variation in melatonin levels.
- Effects of well spacing on geological storage site distribution costs and surface footprint.
- Electricity from fossil fuels without CO2 emissions: assessing the costs of carbon dioxide capture and sequestration in U.S. electricity markets.
- Endogenous melatonin mediation of systemic inflammatory responses to ozone exposure in healthy adults.
- Environmental factors in cancer: focus on air pollution.
- Environmental health in China: progress towards clean air and safe water.
- Epigenetically mediated electrocardiographic manifestations of sub-chronic exposures to ambient particulate matter air pollution in the Women's Health Initiative and Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.
- Epigenome-wide analysis of long-term air pollution exposure and DNA methylation in monocytes: results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.
- Estimating personal exposures from ambient air pollution measures: using meta-analysis to assess measurement error.
- Estimations of historical atmospheric mercury concentrations from mercury refining and present-day soil concentrations of total mercury in Huancavelica, Peru.
- Evaluating Environmental Governance along Cross-Border Electricity Supply Chains with Policy-Informed Life Cycle Assessment: The California-Mexico Energy Exchange.
- Evaluation of associations between asthma exacerbations and distance to roadways using geocoded electronic health records data.
- Evolution of the United States Energy System and Related Emissions under Varying Social and Technological Development Paradigms: Plausible Scenarios for Use in Robust Decision Making.
- Exploration of NO2 and PM2.5 air pollution and mental health problems using high-resolution data in London-based children from a UK longitudinal cohort study.
- Exposure to concentrated ambient particles (CAPs): a review.
- Exposure to low-dose ambient fine particulate matter PM2.5 and Alzheimer's disease, non-Alzheimer's dementia, and Parkinson's disease in North Carolina.
- Exposure to traffic pollution, acute inflammation and autonomic response in a panel of car commuters.
- Exposures to low-levels of fine particulate matter are associated with acute changes in heart rate variability, cardiac repolarization, and circulating blood lipids in coronary artery disease patients.
- Fields on fire: Alternatives to crop residue burning in India.
- Fine Particulate Matter and Poor Cognitive Function among Chinese Older Adults: Evidence from a Community-Based, 12-Year Prospective Cohort Study.
- Fine particulate matter air pollution and under-5 children mortality in China: A national time-stratified case-crossover study.
- Gaseous air pollutants and DNA methylation in a methylome-wide association study of an ethnically and environmentally diverse population of U.S. adults.
- Genetic Variants in the Bone Morphogenic Protein Gene Family Modify the Association between Residential Exposure to Traffic and Peripheral Arterial Disease.
- Global air quality and health co-benefits of mitigating near-term climate change through methane and black carbon emission controls.
- Global perspectives of emerging occupational and environmental lung diseases.
- Guidelines for Modeling and Reporting Health Effects of Climate Change Mitigation Actions.
- Health and the Megacity: Urban Congestion, Air Pollution, and Birth Outcomes in Brazil.
- Hormesis, Hotspots and Emissions Trading
- Hotter and sicker: External energy expenditure and the tangled evolutionary roots of anthropogenic climate change and chronic disease.
- Hourly Air Pollutants and Acute Coronary Syndrome Onset in 1.29 Million Patients.
- Human exposure assessment in air pollution systems.
- Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) and the Clean Air Act.
- Identifying the threshold of outdoor PM2.5 reversing the beneficial association between physical activity and lung function: A national longitudinal study in China.
- Impact of the 2008 Beijing Olympics on the risk of pregnancy complications.
- Impacts of implementing Healthy Building guidelines for daily PM2.5 limit on premature deaths and economic losses in urban China: A population-based modeling study.
- Implications of shale gas development for climate change
- In vitro metabolism of the brominated flame retardants 2-ethylhexyl-2,3,4,5-tetrabromobenzoate (TBB) and bis(2-ethylhexyl) 2,3,4,5-tetrabromophthalate (TBPH) in human and rat tissues.
- Increasing forest carbon sequestration through cooperation and shared strategies between China and the United States.
- Inflammatory and oxidative stress responses of healthy adults to changes in personal air pollutant exposure.
- Information entropy tradeoffs for efficient uncertainty reduction in estimates of air pollution mortality.
- Interaction between residential greenness and air pollution mortality: analysis of the Chinese Longitudinal Healthy Longevity Survey.
- Interaction of Sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) candidate longevity gene and particulate matter (PM2.5) on all-cause mortality: a longitudinal cohort study in China.
- Interventions to Reduce Personal Exposures to Air Pollution: A Primer for Health Care Providers.
- Lead Exposure as a Confounding Factor in the Association of Air Pollution Exposure and Psychotic Experiences-Reply.
- Leukocyte Traits and Exposure to Ambient Particulate Matter Air Pollution in the Women's Health Initiative and Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.
- Long-term exposure to PM2.5 and incidence of disability in activities of daily living among oldest old.
- Long-term exposure to ambient PM2.5 increase obesity risk in Chinese adults: A cross-sectional study based on a nationwide survey in China.
- Long-term exposure to ambient fine particulate matter and fasting blood glucose level in a Chinese elderly cohort.
- Long-term outdoor air pollution and DNA methylation in circulating monocytes: results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
- Los Angeles student nurse study. Daily symptom reporting and photochemical oxidants.
- Low-Level Air Pollution Associated With Death: Policy and Clinical Implications.
- Making the Environmental Justice Grade: The Relative Burden of Air Pollution Exposure in the United States
- Malondialdehyde in Nasal Fluid: A Biomarker for Monitoring Asthma Control in Relation to Air Pollution Exposure.
- Mapping Air Pollution with Google Street View Cars: Efficient Approaches with Mobile Monitoring and Land Use Regression.
- Mapping urban pipeline leaks: methane leaks across Boston.
- Marginal abatement cost curve for nitrogen oxides incorporating controls, renewable electricity, energy efficiency, and fuel switching.
- Maternal exposure to particulate matter increases postnatal ozone-induced airway hyperreactivity in juvenile mice.
- Measurement of inflammation and oxidative stress following drastic changes in air pollution during the Beijing Olympics: a panel study approach.
- Measuring environmental change in forest ecosystems by repeated soil sampling: a north american perspective.
- Meeting report: Estimating the benefits of reducing hazardous air pollutants--summary of 2009 workshop and future considerations.
- Modeling of a foamed emulsion bioreactor: I. Model development and experimental validation.
- Modeling study of air pollution due to the manufacture of export goods in China's Pearl River Delta.
- NO2 and PM2.5 air pollution co-exposure and temperature effect modification on pre-mature mortality in advanced age: a longitudinal cohort study in China.
- Narrowing feedstock exemptions under the Montreal Protocol has multiple environmental benefits.
- Near-roadway air pollution exposure and altered fatty acid oxidation among adolescents and young adults - The interplay with obesity.
- Negative ions offset cardiorespiratory benefits of PM2.5 reduction from residential use of negative ion air purifiers.
- New Orleans asthma. II. Relationship of climatologic and seasonal factors to outbreaks.
- Oral cavity response to air pollutant exposure and association with pulmonary inflammation and symptoms in asthmatic children.
- Outdoor air pollution and respiratory health in Asia.
- Outdoor air pollution: a global perspective.
- Outdoor air pollution: overview and historical perspective.
- Ozone Pollution: A Major Health Hazard Worldwide.
- Ozone trends in Atlanta, Georgia: have emission controls been effective?
- PM2.5 constituents and oxidative DNA damage in humans.
- Peak expiratory flow, breath rate and blood pressure in adults with changes in particulate matter air pollution during the Beijing Olympics: a panel study.
- People, place and pollution: Investigating relationships between air quality perceptions, health concerns, exposure, and individual- and area-level characteristics.
- Perspectives on air quality policy issues in Europe and North America.
- Physical activity attenuated the associations between ambient air pollutants and metabolic syndrome (MetS): A nationwide study across 28 provinces.
- Pollutant particles produce vasoconstriction and enhance MAPK signaling via angiotensin type I receptor.
- Population Exposure to Ambient PM2.5 at the Subdistrict Level in China.
- Population ageing and deaths attributable to ambient PM2·5 pollution: a global analysis of economic cost.
- Prenatal air pollution exposure induces sexually dimorphic fetal programming of metabolic and neuroinflammatory outcomes in adult offspring.
- Protecting the environment can boost the economy.
- Quantification of 1-aminopyrene in human urine after a controlled exposure to diesel exhaust.
- Racial isolation and exposure to airborne particulate matter and ozone in understudied US populations: Environmental justice applications of downscaled numerical model output.
- Reduce short-lived climate pollutants for multiple benefits.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting agricultural management for climate change in developing countries: providing the basis for action.
- Reducing the energy penalty costs of postcombustion CCS systems with amine-storage.
- Regulating the ultimate sink: managing the risks of geologic CO2 storage.
- Removal of ammonia from contaminated air in a biotrickling filter - denitrifying bioreactor combination system.
- Respiratory and cardiovascular responses to walking down a traffic-polluted road compared with walking in a traffic-free area in participants aged 60 years and older with chronic lung or heart disease and age-matched healthy controls: a randomised, crossover study.
- Respiratory effects of exposure to diesel traffic in persons with asthma.
- Responses of serum chemokines to dramatic changes of air pollution levels, a panel study.
- Retrofitting existing chemical scrubbers to biotrickling filters for H2S emission control.
- Role of future scenarios in understanding deep uncertainty in long-term air quality management.
- SO2 levels and perturbations in mortality. A study in the New York-New Jersey metropolis.
- Scale-up and cost evaluation of a foamed emulsion bioreactor.
- Seeking natural capital projects: Forest fires, haze, and early-life exposure in Indonesia.
- Short-term effects of air temperature on plasma metabolite concentrations in patients undergoing cardiac catheterization.
- Should a coal-fired power plant be replaced or retrofitted?
- Simultaneously mitigating near-term climate change and improving human health and food security.
- Single-source impact analysis using three-dimensional air quality models.
- Sources of volatile organic compounds in suburban homes in Shanghai, China, and the impact of air filtration on compound concentrations
- Space-time data fusion under error in computer model output: an application to modeling air quality.
- Spatial-temporal modeling of the association between air pollution exposure and preterm birth: identifying critical windows of exposure.
- Spatially refined aerosol direct radiative forcing efficiencies.
- Synthesis of environmental evidence: nitrogen dioxide epidemiology studies.
- Temporal and spatial distribution of health, labor, and crop benefits of climate change mitigation in the United States.
- The Clean Air Act: science, policy, and politics.
- The Health Impacts of Environmental Policy: The North Carolina Clean Smokestacks Act.
- The IMO 2020 sulphur cap: a step forward for planetary health?
- The WHO Air Quality Guidelines 2021 promote great challenge for indoor air.
- The complexities of air pollution regulation: the need for an integrated research and regulatory perspective.
- The control of mercury vapor using biotrickling filters.
- The discoloration of the Taj Mahal due to particulate carbon and dust deposition.
- The effect of China's Clean Air Act on cognitive function in older adults: a population-based, quasi-experimental study.
- The effects of household management practices on the global warming potential of urban lawns.
- The global atmospheric environment for the next generation.
- The impact of temperature on mortality in a subtropical city: effects of cold, heat, and heat waves in São Paulo, Brazil.
- The outdoor air pollution and brain health workshop.
- The quest for improved air quality may push China to continue its CO2 reduction beyond the Paris Commitment.
- The removal of H2S from process air by diffusion into activated sludge.
- The role of air quality management programs in improving public health: a brief synopsis.
- The triggering of myocardial infarction by fine particles is enhanced when particles are enriched in secondary species.
- Thermophilic biotrickling filtration of ethanol vapors.
- Toll-like Receptor 4 Pathway Polymorphisms Interact with Pollution to Influence Asthma Diagnosis and Severity.
- Toxicant exposure and the developing brain: A systematic review of the structural and functional MRI literature.
- Traffic-related air pollution induces non-allergic eosinophilic airway inflammation and cough hypersensitivity in guinea-pigs.
- Treatment of mixtures of toluene and n-propanol vapours in a compost-woodchip-based biofilter.
- U.S. air quality management: local, regional and global approaches.
- Uncertainty, imprecision, and the precautionary principle in climate change assessment.
- Using low-cost sensor technologies and advanced computational methods to improve dose estimations in health panel studies: results of the AIRLESS project.
- Where Is Air Quality Improving, and Who Benefits? A Study of PM2.5 and Ozone Over 15 Years.
Keywords of People
- Deshusses, Marc, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nicholas Institute-Energy Initiative
- Holliday, Katelyn Marie, Assistant Professor in Family Medicine and Community Health, Family Medicine and Community Health
- Hsu-Kim, Heileen, Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Huang, Yuh-Chin Tony, Professor of Medicine, Medicine, Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine
- Shindell, Drew Todd, Nicholas Distinguished Professor of Earth Science, Duke Science & Society
- Winner, William E., Professor of Environmental Science at Duke Kunshan University, DKU Faculty