Subject Areas on Research
- "Dynamic Infrared Linear Dichroism Study of the Temperature-Dependent, Viscoelastic Behavior of a Poly(ester urethane)"
- (i, i + 4) Ion pairs stabilize helical peptides derived from smooth muscle caldesmon.
- 440-kD ankyrinB: structure of the major developmentally regulated domain and selective localization in unmyelinated axons.
- A carbon monoxide irreducible form of cytochrome c oxidase and other unusual properties of the "monomeric" shark enzyme.
- A carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) binding protein from ascites influences CEA uptake by macrophages.
- A molybdopterin-free form of xanthine oxidase.
- A mutation in TNNC1-encoded cardiac troponin C, TNNC1-A31S, predisposes to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and ventricular fibrillation.
- A stable dimer in the pH-induced equilibrium unfolding of the homo-hexameric enzyme 4-oxalocrotonate tautomerase (4-OT).
- A synthetic peptide inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus replication: correlation between solution structure and viral inhibition.
- Amphitrite ornata erythrocruorin. I. Structural properties and characterization of subunit interactions.
- Analysis of the structural properties of cAMP-responsive element-binding protein (CREB) and phosphorylated CREB.
- Antigenicity and immunogenicity of a trimeric envelope protein from an Indian clade C HIV-1 isolate.
- Apolipoprotein C-III/sphingomyelin recombinants: formation, isolation, and characterization.
- Asymmetric total synthesis of ent-(-)-roseophilin: assignment of absolute configuration.
- Betadoublet: de novo design, synthesis, and characterization of a beta-sandwich protein.
- Bioactive ent-isopimarane diterpenoids from Euphorbia neriifolia.
- Biochemical and structural studies of tenascin/hexabrachion proteins.
- Boron-containing oligodeoxyribonucleotide 14mer duplexes: enzymatic synthesis and melting studies.
- Both heptad repeats of human respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein are potent inhibitors of viral fusion.
- Calcium binding domains and calcium-induced conformational transition of SPARC/BM-40/osteonectin, an extracellular glycoprotein expressed in mineralized and nonmineralized tissues.
- Carolignans from the Aerial Parts of Euphorbia sikkimensis and Their Anti-HIV Activity.
- Chaperone-like activity of alpha-crystallin. The effect of NADPH on its interaction with zeta-crystallin.
- Characterization of the SarA virulence gene regulator of Staphylococcus aureus.
- Characterization of the adhesive plaque of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite: amyloid-like nanofibrils are a major component.
- Characterization of the ionizable groups interacting with anionic allosteric effectors of human hemoglobin.
- Chemical and structural modifications of alpha 2-macroglobulin: effects on receptor binding and endocytosis studied in an in vivo model.
- Chemical modification and fluorescence studies of chloroplast coupling factor.
- Chiral polyoxometalate-induced enantiomerically 3D architectures: a new route for synthesis of high-dimensional chiral compounds.
- Circular dichroic spectroscopy of non-human alpha-macroglobulins.
- Co-assembling peptides as defined matrices for endothelial cells.
- Comparative analysis of two different amide-to-ester bond mutations in the beta-sheet of 4-oxalocrotonate tautomerase.
- Comparative studies on the secondary structure of ovalbumin messenger RNA and its complementary DNA transcript.
- Computational de novo design and characterization of a protein that selectively binds a highly hyperpolarizable abiological chromophore.
- Computational design and elaboration of a de novo heterotetrameric alpha-helical protein that selectively binds an emissive abiological (porphinato)zinc chromophore.
- Conformational changes of beta-lactoglobulin induced by anionic phospholipid.
- Conformational dynamics of amyloid beta-protein assembly probed using intrinsic fluorescence.
- Conformational studies of dithymidine boranomonophosphate diastereoisomers.
- Conformational studies of the nucleic acid binding sites for Xenopus transcription factor IIIA.
- Conformational transition of DNA induced by cationic lipid vesicle in acidic solution: spectroscopy investigation.
- Construction of a family of Cys2His2 zinc binding sites in the hydrophobic core of thioredoxin by structure-based design.
- Construction of new ligand binding sites in proteins of known structure. II. Grafting of a buried transition metal binding site into Escherichia coli thioredoxin.
- Converting a maltose receptor into a nascent binuclear copper oxygenase by computational design.
- Coordination chemistry of siderophores: thermodynamics and kinetics of iron chelation and release.
- Crystal structures of apocalmodulin and an apocalmodulin/SK potassium channel gating domain complex.
- De novo design and molecular assembly of a transmembrane diporphyrin-binding protein complex.
- De novo design of a single-chain diphenylporphyrin metalloprotein.
- Determining absolute configuration in flexible molecules: a case study.
- Direct visualization of asymmetric adenine-nucleotide-induced conformational changes in MutL alpha.
- Disruption of the toxic conformation of the expanded polyglutamine stretch leads to suppression of aggregate formation and cytotoxicity.
- Domain interactions in oxidized and reduced forms of rat liver sulfite oxidase.
- Downregulation of microglial activation by apolipoprotein E and apoE-mimetic peptides.
- Effect of acid predissolution on fibril size and fibril flexibility of synthetic beta-amyloid peptide.
- Effect of colloidal gold size on the conformational changes of adsorbed cytochrome c: probing by circular dichroism, UV-visible, and infrared spectroscopy.
- Effect of detergents on the thermal behavior of elastin-like polypeptides.
- Effect of electrode surface microstructure on electron transfer induced conformation changes in cytochrome c monitored by in situ UV and CD spectroelectrochemistry.
- Effect of temperature, pH, and metals on the stability and activity of phenylalanine hydroxylase from Chromobacterium violaceum.
- Electrochemistry and spectroscopy study on the interaction of microperoxidase-11 with lipid membrane.
- Electron microscopy of MAP 2 (microtubule-associated protein 2).
- Escherichia coli purine repressor: key residues for the allosteric transition between active and inactive conformations and for interdomain signaling.
- Evaluation of the DNA binding tendencies of the transition state regulator AbrB.
- Evidence against formation of A23187 dimers and oligomers in solution: photo-induced degradation of Ionophore A23187.
- Evidence of Fe3+ interaction with the plug domain of the outer membrane transferrin receptor protein of Neisseria gonorrhoeae: implications for Fe transport.
- Expression and site-directed mutagenesis of the phosphatidylcholine-preferring phospholipase C of Bacillus cereus: probing the role of the active site Glu146.
- Facile chemical synthesis and equilibrium unfolding properties of CopG.
- Fluorescence energy transfer measurements in rabbit muscle phosphofructokinase.
- Folding dynamics of phenylalanine hydroxylase depends on the enzyme's metallation state: the native metal, iron, protects against aggregate intermediates.
- Folding kinetics of a fluorescent variant of monomeric lambda repressor.
- Folding mechanism of a multiple independently-folding domain protein: double B domain of protein A.
- Functionally active targeting domain of the beta-adrenergic receptor kinase: an inhibitor of G beta gamma-mediated stimulation of type II adenylyl cyclase.
- G4 resolvase 1 tightly binds and unwinds unimolecular G4-DNA.
- Genetic organization, length conservation, and evolution of RNA polymerase II carboxyl-terminal domain.
- Gibberellin-induced DELLA recognition by the gibberellin receptor GID1.
- Guanidine-induced equilibrium unfolding of a homo-hexameric enzyme 4-oxalocrotonate tautomerase (4-OT).
- Heat and cold denatured states of monomeric lambda repressor are thermodynamically and conformationally equivalent.
- Hormonal control of oviduct growth and differentiation.
- How can a single second sphere amino acid substitution cause reduction midpoint potential changes of hundreds of millivolts?
- Hydrogen bonding of beta-turn structure is stabilized in D(2)O.
- Immunoglobulin-like PapD chaperone caps and uncaps interactive surfaces of nascently translocated pilus subunits.
- Incorporation of CC steps into Z-DNA: interplay between B-Z junction and Z-DNA helical formation.
- Incorporation of designed extended chromophores into amphiphilic 4-helix bundle peptides for nonlinear optical biomolecular materials.
- Interaction of gold nanoparticles with common human blood proteins.
- Interaction of synthetic HA2 influenza fusion peptide analog with model membranes.
- Interaction of the Shiga-like toxin type 1 B-subunit with its carbohydrate receptor.
- Intrinsically disordered proteins access a range of hysteretic phase separation behaviors.
- Investigation of the influence on conformational transition of DNA induced by cationic lipid vesicles.
- Isolation and characterization of the major apolipoprotein from chicken high density lipoproteins.
- Kar3 interaction with Cik1 alters motor structure and function.
- Left-handed DNA helices, supercoiling, and the B-Z junction.
- Linked folding and anion binding of the Bacillus subtilis ribonuclease P protein.
- Liposome-mediated conformation transition of DNA detected by molecular probe: methyl green.
- Mapping Tertiary Interactions in Protein Folding Reactions: A Novel Mass Spectrometry- and Chemical Synthesis-Based Approach
- Mapping the binding sites of human erythrocyte ankyrin for the anion exchanger and spectrin.
- Mechanistic studies of human molybdopterin synthase reaction and characterization of mutants identified in group B patients of molybdenum cofactor deficiency.
- Metal-Organic Framework Encapsulation Preserves the Bioactivity of Protein Therapeutics.
- Methionine oxidation of monomeric lambda repressor: the denatured state ensemble under nondenaturing conditions.
- Modulating the mechanical properties of self-assembled peptide hydrogels via native chemical ligation.
- Multiple structural elements define the specificity of recombinant human inhibitor-1 as a protein phosphatase-1 inhibitor.
- Mutational Dissection of Telomeric DNA Binding Requirements of G4 Resolvase 1 Shows that G4-Structure and Certain 3'-Tail Sequences Are Sufficient for Tight and Complete Binding.
- Mutational analysis of active site residues in the Staphylococcus aureus transpeptidase SrtA.
- Mutational analysis of potential zinc-binding residues in the active site of the enterococcal D-Ala-D-Ala dipeptidase VanX.
- Mutations that destabilize the gp41 core are determinants for stabilizing the simian immunodeficiency virus-CPmac envelope glycoprotein complex.
- Novel disulfide engineering in human carbonic anhydrase II using the PAIRWISE side-chain geometry database.
- Optical signatures of molecular dissymmetry: combining theory with experiments to address stereochemical puzzles.
- Optimized production and analysis of the staphylococcal multidrug efflux protein QacA.
- Osmolyte-induced folding of an intrinsically disordered protein: folding mechanism in the absence of ligand.
- Oxygenated norethindrone derivatives from incubation with beagle liver. Structure, synthesis, and biological activity.
- Pathogenic Mutations Induce Partial Structural Changes in the Native β-Sheet Structure of Transthyretin and Accelerate Aggregation.
- Peptide binding proclivities of calcium loaded calbindin-D28k.
- Phosphorylation of RNA polymerase II CTD fragments results in tight binding to the WW domain from the yeast prolyl isomerase Ess1.
- Phosphorylation-dependent metal binding by alpha-synuclein peptide fragments.
- Physical properties of human alpha 2-macroglobulin following reaction with methylamine and trypsin.
- Physicochemical properties of rat testis Ca2+-dependent regulator protein of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase. Relationship of Ca2+-binding, conformational changes, and phosphodiesterase activity.
- Portable UV-visible spectrometer for measuring absorbance and dichroism of Langmuir monolayers at air-water interfaces.
- Prediction of secondary structure for Eco RI endonuclease.
- Preorganized secondary structure as an important determinant of fast protein folding.
- Probing the oligomeric structure of an enzyme by electrospray ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry.
- Propensity for a leucine zipper-like domain of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp41 to form oligomers correlates with a role in virus-induced fusion rather than assembly of the glycoprotein complex.
- Protein design and folding: template trapping of self-assembled helical bundles.
- Purification and characterization of a "half-molecule" alpha 2-macroglobulin from the southern grass frog: absence of binding to the mammalian alpha 2-macroglobulin receptor.
- Purification and characterization of frog alpha-macroglobulin: receptor recognition of an amphibian glycoprotein.
- R73A and H144Q mutants of the yeast mitochondrial cyclophilin Cpr3 exhibit a low prolyl isomerase activity in both peptide and protein-folding assays.
- Rational design of a calcium-binding protein.
- Recognition of lysine-rich peptide ligands by murine cortactin SH3 domain: CD, ITC, and NMR studies.
- Remote oxidation of steroids by photolysis of attached benzophenone groups.
- Removal of the pro-domain does not affect the conformation of the procaspase-3 dimer.
- Robust IR-based detection of stable and fractionally populated G-C+ and A-T Hoogsteen base pairs in duplex DNA.
- Rod mutations associated with MYH9-related disorders disrupt nonmuscle myosin-IIA assembly.
- Selection of immunoglobulin elbow region mutations impacts interdomain conformational flexibility in HIV-1 broadly neutralizing antibodies.
- Sequence- or position-specific mutations in the carboxyl-terminal FL motif of the kidney sodium bicarbonate cotransporter (NBC1) disrupt its basolateral targeting and alpha-helical structure.
- Sequence-specific B-DNA flexibility modulates Z-DNA formation.
- Single-handed helical wrapping of single-walled carbon nanotubes by chiral, ionic, semiconducting polymers.
- Six-helix bundle assembly and characterization of heptad repeat regions from the F protein of Newcastle disease virus.
- Solvent dependence of intramolecular electron transfer in a helical oligoproline assembly.
- Specific 33-residue repeat(s) of erythrocyte ankyrin associate with the anion exchanger.
- Stability studies on a lipase from Bacillus subtilis in guanidinium chloride.
- Stable docking of neutralizing human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp41 membrane-proximal external region monoclonal antibodies 2F5 and 4E10 is dependent on the membrane immersion depth of their epitope regions.
- Stable dry powder formulation for nasal delivery of anthrax vaccine.
- Structural adaptations that modulate monosaccharide, disaccharide, and trisaccharide specificities in periplasmic maltose-binding proteins.
- Structural analysis of the purine repressor, an Escherichia coli DNA-binding protein.
- Structural analysis of the unmutated ancestor of the HIV-1 envelope V2 region antibody CH58 isolated from an RV144 vaccine efficacy trial vaccinee.
- Structural basis for the remarkable stability of Bacillus subtilis lipase (Lip A) at low pH.
- Structural mechanism of the simultaneous binding of two drugs to a multidrug-binding protein.
- Structural organization of the human insulin receptor ectodomain.
- Structural studies of the heme domain of sulfite oxidase: CNBr fragments.
- Structure and stability of monomeric lambda repressor: NMR evidence for two-state folding.
- Structure of macromolecular aggregates. II. Construction of model membranes from phospholipids and polypeptides.
- Systematic assignment of the configuration of flexible natural products by spectroscopic and computational methods: the bistramide C analysis.
- The basic helix-loop-helix domain of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear transporter (ARNT) can oligomerize and bind E-box DNA specifically.
- The domains of rat liver sulfite oxidase. Proteolytic separation and characterization.
- The effect of a single boranophosphate substitution with defined configuration on the thermal stability and conformation of a DNA duplex.
- The effects of lipid composition on the binding of lasalocid A to small unilamellar vesicles.
- The human ACC2 CT-domain C-terminus is required for full functionality and has a novel twist.
- The hydrophobic core of Escherichia coli thioredoxin shows a high tolerance to nonconservative single amino acid substitutions.
- The membrane-binding domain of ankyrin contains four independently folded subdomains, each comprised of six ankyrin repeats.
- The site of the redox-linked proton pump in eukaryotic cytochrome c oxidases.
- Thermodynamic characterization of the osmolyte- and ligand-folded states of Bacillus subtilis ribonuclease P protein.
- Thermodynamics of RNA melting, one base pair at a time.
- Using alpha-helical coiled-coils to design nanostructured metalloporphyrin arrays.
- VSV transmembrane domain (TMD) peptide promotes PEG-mediated fusion of liposomes in a conformationally sensitive fashion.
- Yin Yang 1 contains G-quadruplex structures in its promoter and 5'-UTR and its expression is modulated by G4 resolvase 1.
- pH-dependent conformational changes of ferricytochrome c induced by electrode surface microstructure.
Keywords of People
- Bennett, Vann, George Barth Geller Distinguished Professor of Molecular Biology, Duke Cancer Institute
- Oas, Terrence Gilbert, Professor of Biochemistry, Biochemistry