Subject Areas on Research
- Alkaline mine drainage drives stream sediment microbial community structure and function.
- Assessing different mechanisms of toxicity in mountaintop removal/valley fill coal mining-affected watershed samples using Caenorhabditis elegans.
- Bacterial community responses to a gradient of alkaline mountaintop mine drainage in Central Appalachian streams.
- Bioaccumulation and speciation of selenium in fish and insects collected from a mountaintop removal coal mining-impacted stream in West Virginia.
- Consistent declines in aquatic biodiversity across diverse domains of life in rivers impacted by surface coal mining.
- Contaminant Subsidies to Riparian Food Webs in Appalachian Streams Impacted by Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining.
- Creating a More Perennial Problem? Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining Enhances and Sustains Saline Baseflows of Appalachian Watersheds.
- Cumulative impacts of mountaintop mining on an Appalachian watershed.
- Deep Impact: Effects of Mountaintop Mining on Surface Topography, Bedrock Structure, and Downstream Waters.
- Ecosystem modification and network position impact insect-mediated contaminant fluxes from a mountaintop mining-impacted river network.
- How many mountains can we mine? Assessing the regional degradation of Central Appalachian rivers by surface coal mining.
- Mapping the yearly extent of surface coal mining in Central Appalachia using Landsat and Google Earth Engine.
- Microchemical analysis of selenium in otoliths of two West Virginia fishes captured near mountaintop removal coal mining operations.
- Rates and costs of respiratory illness in coal mining: a cross-industry comparative analysis.
- The environmental costs of mountaintop mining valley fill operations for aquatic ecosystems of the Central Appalachians.
- The environmental price tag on a ton of mountaintop removal coal.