Subject Areas on Research
- Accounting for landscape heterogeneity improves spatial predictions of tree vulnerability to drought.
- Age at maturity in wild baboons: genetic, environmental and demographic influences.
- Averting biodiversity collapse in tropical forest protected areas.
- Bacterial contamination associated with estuarine shoreline development
- Climatic controls of decomposition drive the global biogeography of forest-tree symbioses.
- Combined effects of short term rainfall patterns and soil texture on soil nitrogen cycling - a modeling analysis.
- Comparative hydraulic architecture of tropical tree species representing a range of successional stages and wood density.
- Contamination of rural surface and ground water by endosulfan in farming areas of the Western Cape, South Africa.
- Continental-level population differentiation and environmental adaptation in the mushroom Suillus brevipes.
- Drained coastal peatlands: A potential nitrogen source to marine ecosystems under prolonged drought and heavy storm events-A microcosm experiment.
- Driving forces of global wildfires over the past millennium and the forthcoming century.
- Emergence of Epidemic Dengue-1 Virus in the Southern Province of Sri Lanka.
- Environmental aridity is associated with cytotype segregation and polyploidy occurrence in Brachypodium distachyon (Poaceae).
- Evaluating theories of drought-induced vegetation mortality using a multimodel-experiment framework.
- Farmer's lung is now in decline.
- Geographical and interannual variability in biomass partitioning in grassland ecosystems: a synthesis of field data.
- How Bees Deter Elephants: Beehive Trials with Forest Elephants (Loxodonta africana cyclotis) in Gabon.
- Hydraulic redistribution of soil water by roots affects whole-stand evapotranspiration and net ecosystem carbon exchange.
- Increasing atmospheric humidity and CO2 concentration alleviate forest mortality risk.
- Interactive effects of nocturnal transpiration and climate change on the root hydraulic redistribution and carbon and water budgets of southern United States pine plantations.
- Interannual variation in UV-B and temperature effects on bud phenology and growth in Populus tremula.
- Magnitude of urban heat islands largely explained by climate and population.
- Mammals and rainfall: paleoecology of the middle Miocene at La Venta (Colombia, South America).
- Measuring canopy loss and climatic thresholds from an extreme drought along a fivefold precipitation gradient across Texas.
- Mechanical defenses in leaves eaten by Costa Rican howling monkeys (Alouatta palliata).
- Mobility of Four Common Mercury Species in Model and Natural Unsaturated Soils.
- Modifying the ‘pulse-reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water and plant responses
- Observed change of the standardized precipitation index, its potential cause and implications to future climate change in the Amazon region
- Paleoclimate. Trans-Atlantic climate connections.
- Pattern and process in Amazon tree turnover, 1976-2001.
- Plant responses to precipitation in desert ecosystems: integrating functional types, pulses, thresholds, and delays
- Predicting soil erosion for alternative land uses.
- Re-assessment of plant carbon dynamics at the Duke free-air CO(2) enrichment site: interactions of atmospheric [CO(2)] with nitrogen and water availability over stand development.
- Sex-specific fitness effects of unpredictable early life conditions are associated with DNA methylation in the avian glucocorticoid receptor.
- Site-scale Urban Water Mass Balance Assessment (SUWMBA) to quantify water performance of urban design-technology-environment configurations.
- Soil C and N changes with afforestation of grasslands across gradients of precipitation and plantation age.
- Temperature and Precipitation Associate With Ischemic Stroke Outcomes in the United States.
- The geography of demography: long-term demographic studies and species distribution models reveal a species border limited by adaptation.
- The history of South American tropical precipitation for the past 25,000 years.
- Toxicity of stormwater runoff after dormant spray application of diazinon and esfenvalerate (Asana) in a French prune orchard, Glenn county, California, USA.
- Transient floral change and rapid global warming at the Paleocene-Eocene boundary.
- Understanding urban water performance at the city-region scale using an urban water metabolism evaluation framework.
- Water quality risks of 'improved' water sources: evidence from Cambodia.
- Weather fluctuations affect the impact of consumers on vegetation recovery following a catastrophic die-off.
- White monkey syndrome and presumptive copper deficiency in wild savannah baboons.
Keywords of People
- Alberts, Susan C., Robert F. Durden Distinguished Professor of Biology, Duke Science & Society
- Poulsen, John, Associate Professor of Tropical Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Shindell, Drew Todd, Nicholas Distinguished Professor of Earth Science, Duke Science & Society