Subject Areas on Research
- A Lin28 homologue reprograms differentiated cells to stem cells in the moss Physcomitrella patens.
- A bacterial kinase phosphorylates OSK1 to suppress stomatal immunity in rice.
- A bacterial virulence protein suppresses host innate immunity to cause plant disease.
- A comparison of the community diversity of foliar fungal endophytes between seedling and adult loblolly pines (Pinus taeda).
- A critical role of STAYGREEN/Mendel's I locus in controlling disease symptom development during Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato infection of Arabidopsis.
- A dynamic leaf gas-exchange strategy is conserved in woody plants under changing ambient CO2 : evidence from carbon isotope discrimination in paleo and CO2 enrichment studies.
- A dynamic yet vulnerable pipeline: Integration and coordination of hydraulic traits across whole plants.
- A gain-of-function polymorphism controlling complex traits and fitness in nature.
- A plant genetic network for preventing dysbiosis in the phyllosphere.
- A reversible color polyphenism in American peppered moth (Biston betularia cognataria) caterpillars.
- A stomatal optimization theory to describe the effects of atmospheric CO2 on leaf photosynthesis and transpiration.
- Aboveground sink strength in forests controls the allocation of carbon below ground and its [CO2]-induced enhancement.
- Acclimation of leaf hydraulic conductance and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated CO(2) (free-air CO(2) enrichment) and N-fertilization.
- Accumulation of phenolics and growth of dioecious Populus tremula (L.) seedlings over three growing seasons under elevated temperature and UVB radiation.
- Adjustments in hydraulic architecture of Pinus palustris maintain similar stomatal conductance in xeric and mesic habitats.
- Age- and position-related changes in hydraulic versus mechanical dysfunction of xylem: inferring the design criteria for Douglas-fir wood structure.
- Alteration of the alkaloid profile in genetically modified tobacco reveals a role of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase in nicotine N-demethylation.
- Amazon forests capture high levels of atmospheric mercury pollution from artisanal gold mining.
- Analysis of the sensitivity of absorbed light and incident light profile to various canopy architecture and stand conditions
- Anatomical changes with needle length are correlated with leaf structural and physiological traits across five Pinus species.
- Antagonistic selection and pleiotropy constrain the evolution of plant chemical defenses.
- Antinociceptive activity of Syzygium jambos leaves extract on rats.
- Aquaporins, and not changes in root structure, provide new insights into physiological responses to drought, flooding, and salinity.
- Arabidopsis Small Rubber Particle Protein Homolog SRPs Play Dual Roles as Positive Factors for Tissue Growth and Development and in Drought Stress Responses.
- AtDSEL, an Arabidopsis cytosolic DAD1-like acylhydrolase, is involved in negative regulation of storage oil mobilization during seedling establishment.
- Bacteria establish an aqueous living space in plants crucial for virulence.
- Canopy leaf area constrains [CO2]-induced enhancement of productivity and partitioning among aboveground carbon pools.
- Canopy nitrogen, carbon assimilation, and albedo in temperate and boreal forests: Functional relations and potential climate feedbacks
- Catastrophic hydraulic failure and tipping points in plants.
- Chemistry of surface water, precipitation, throughfall, leaves, sediment, soil, and air near a gold mining region in Peru.
- Climate and seasonality drive the richness and composition of tropical fungal endophytes at a landscape scale.
- Co-occurring woody species have diverse hydraulic strategies and mortality rates during an extreme drought.
- Combining expression and comparative evolutionary analysis. The COBRA gene family.
- Community analysis reveals close affinities between endophytic and endolichenic fungi in mosses and lichens
- Comparative proteomic analysis of differentially expressed proteins in β-aminobutyric acid enhanced Arabidopsis thaliana tolerance to simulated acid rain.
- Comparative proteomic analysis of proteins in response to simulated acid rain in Arabidopsis.
- Comparative quantitative trait loci mapping of aliphatic, indolic and benzylic glucosinolate production in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves and seeds.
- Comprehensive mapping of abiotic stress inputs into the soybean circadian clock.
- Constitutive disease resistance requires EDS1 in the Arabidopsis mutants cpr1 and cpr6 and is partially EDS1-dependent in cpr5.
- Constraints on physiological function associated with branch architecture and wood density in tropical forest trees.
- Contingency in ecosystem but not plant community response to multiple global change factors
- Contribution of various carbon sources toward isoprene biosynthesis in poplar leaves mediated by altered atmospheric CO2 concentrations.
- Conversion of compatible plant-pathogen interactions into incompatible interactions by expression of the Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae 61 hrmA gene in transgenic tobacco plants.
- Cooperation and functional diversification of two closely related galactolipase genes for jasmonate biosynthesis.
- Coupling of ecosystem-scale plant water storage and leaf phenology observed by satellite.
- Decoupling the influence of leaf and root hydraulic conductances on stomatal conductance and its sensitivity to vapour pressure deficit as soil dries in a drained loblolly pine plantation.
- Detecting forest response to droughts with global observations of vegetation water content.
- Differential responses to changes in growth temperature between trees from different functional groups and biomes: a review and synthesis of data.
- Disarming the mustard oil bomb.
- Disentangling the visual cues used by a jumping spider to locate its microhabitat.
- Diurnal and seasonal variation in root xylem embolism in neotropical savanna woody species: impact on stomatal control of plant water status.
- Diverse mechanisms of resistance to Pseudomonas syringae in a thousand natural accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Diversity and host range of foliar fungal endophytes: are tropical leaves biodiversity hotspots?
- Diversity and phylogenetic affinities of foliar fungal endophytes in loblolly pine inferred by culturing and environmental PCR.
- Do the energy fluxes and surface conductance of boreal coniferous forests in Europe scale with leaf area?
- Does homeostasis or disturbance of homeostasis in minimum leaf water potential explain the isohydric versus anisohydric behavior of Vitis vinifera L. cultivars?
- Dual transcriptomic analysis reveals metabolic changes associated with differential persistence of human pathogenic bacteria in leaves of Arabidopsis and lettuce.
- Dynamics of soil CO2 efflux under varying atmospheric CO2 concentrations reveal dominance of slow processes.
- Ecological factors influence balancing selection on leaf chemical profiles of a wildflower.
- Ecophysiological impacts of Esca, a devastating grapevine trunk disease, on Vitis vinifera L.
- Effects of acid precipitation and aluminum on carbohydrate metabolism in mycorrhizae of Pinus massioniana.
- Effects of calcium on seed germination, seedling growth and photosynthesis of six forest tree species under simulated acid rain.
- Effects of hydraulic architecture and spatial variation in light on mean stomatal conductance of tree branches and crowns.
- Effects of long-term UV-exposure and plant sex on the leaf phenoloxidase activities and phenolic concentrations of Salix myrsinifolia (Salisb.).
- Effects of potassium and sodium supply on drought-adaptive mechanisms in Eucalyptus grandis plantations.
- Elevated CO₂ enhances leaf senescence during extreme drought in a temperate forest.
- Elevated growth temperatures alter hydraulic characteristics in trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides) seedlings: implications for tree drought tolerance.
- Emissions of nitric oxide from 79 plant species in response to simulated nitrogen deposition.
- Environmental variation mediates the deleterious effects of Coleosporium ipomoeae on Ipomoea purpurea.
- Estimation of light interception properties of conifer shoots by an improved photographic method and a 3D model of shoot structure.
- Evapotranspiration and water yield of a pine-broadleaf forest are not altered by long-term atmospheric [CO2 ] enrichment under native or enhanced soil fertility.
- Evidence for Hydraulic Vulnerability Segmentation and Lack of Xylem Refilling under Tension.
- Evolution of leaf form in marsileaceous ferns: evidence for heterochrony
- Experimental habitat fragmentation increases linkage disequilibrium but does not affect genetic diversity or population structure in the Amazonian liverwort Radula flaccida.
- Expression, subcellular localization, and enzyme activity of a recombinant human extra-cellular superoxide dismutase in tobacco (Nicotiana benthamiana L.).
- Falling palm fronds structure amazonian rainforest sapling communities.
- Feeding strategy shapes gut metagenomic enrichment and functional specialization in captive lemurs.
- Fertilization has little effect on light-interception efficiency of Picea abies shoots.
- Fitness benefits of systemic acquired resistance during Hyaloperonospora parasitica infection in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Five anthocyanin polymorphisms are associated with an R2R3-MYB cluster in Mimulus guttatus (Phrymaceae).
- Forest response to elevated CO2 is conserved across a broad range of productivity.
- Functional coordination between leaf gas exchange and vulnerability to xylem cavitation in temperate forest trees.
- Functional traits of the understory plant community of a pyrogenic longleaf pine forest across environmental gradients.
- Genetic and physiological basis of adaptive salt tolerance divergence between coastal and inland Mimulus guttatus.
- Genetic architecture of quantitative flower and leaf traits in a pair of sympatric sister species of Primulina.
- Genetic control of natural variation in Arabidopsis glucosinolate accumulation.
- Genetic evidence for hybridization in red oaks (Quercus sect. Lobatae, Fagaceae).
- Genetic variation in horizontally transmitted fungal endophytes of pine needles reveals population structure in cryptic species.
- Geographic Variation of Plant Circadian Clock Function in Natural and Agricultural Settings.
- Gold nanoparticle biodissolution by a freshwater macrophyte and its associated microbiome.
- Guiding the design space for nanotechnology to advance sustainable crop production.
- Hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae) infestation affects water and carbon relations of eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) and Carolina hemlock (Tsuga caroliniana).
- Heterogeneity of competition at decameter scale: patches of high canopy leaf area in a shade-intolerant larch stand transpire less yet are more sensitive to drought.
- Heterologous expression, and biochemical and cellular characterization of CaPLA1 encoding a hot pepper phospholipase A1 homolog.
- Host genotype and age shape the leaf and root microbiomes of a wild perennial plant
- How well do growing season dynamics of photosynthetic capacity correlate with leaf biochemistry and climate fluctuations?
- Hydraulic redistribution of soil water by roots affects whole-stand evapotranspiration and net ecosystem carbon exchange.
- Hydraulic time constants for transpiration of loblolly pine at a free-air carbon dioxide enrichment site
- Hydrogen sulphide enhances photosynthesis through promoting chloroplast biogenesis, photosynthetic enzyme expression, and thiol redox modification in Spinacia oleracea seedlings.
- Identification of wounding and topping responsive small RNAs in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum).
- Immunogold labeling of Hrp pili of Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato assembled in minimal medium and in planta.
- Impaired Chloroplast Biogenesis in Immutans, an Arabidopsis Variegation Mutant, Modifies Developmental Programming, Cell Wall Composition and Resistance to Pseudomonas syringae.
- Increased hydraulic constraints in Eucalyptus plantations fertilized with potassium.
- Increasing atmospheric CO2 reduces metabolic and physiological differences between isoprene- and non-isoprene-emitting poplars.
- Increasing water use efficiency along the C3 to C4 evolutionary pathway: a stomatal optimization perspective.
- Intake, digestibility, and passage of a commercially designed diet by two Propithecus species
- Interactive effects of supplemental UV-B and temperature in European aspen seedlings: Implications for growth, leaf traits, phenolic defense and associated organisms.
- Interclonal variation, coordination, and trade-offs between hydraulic conductance and gas exchange in Pinus radiata: consequences on plant growth and wood density.
- Intraspecific trait variability shapes leaf trait response to altered fire regimes.
- Invasive species' leaf traits and dissimilarity from natives shape their impact on nitrogen cycling: a meta-analysis.
- Is the ABA concentration in the sap collected by pressurizing leaves relevant for analysing drought effects on stomata? Evidence from ABA-fed leaves of transgenic plants with modified capacities to synthesize ABA.
- Is there foul play in the leaf pocket? The metagenome of floating fern Azolla reveals endophytes that do not fix N2 but may denitrify
- Isolation of Cryptococcus gattii and Cryptococcus neoformans var. grubii from the flowers and bark of Eucalyptus trees in India.
- Leaf chlorosis in Arabidopsis thaliana hybrids is associated with transgenerational decline and imbalanced ribosome number.
- Leaf nutrients, not specific leaf area, are consistent indicators of elevated nutrient inputs.
- Leaf shape evolution has a similar genetic architecture in three edaphic specialists within the Mimulus guttatus species complex.
- Leaf-induced gibberellin signaling is essential for internode elongation, cambial activity, and fiber differentiation in tobacco stems.
- Leaf-level gas-exchange uniformity and photosynthetic capacity among loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) genotypes of contrasting inherent genetic variation.
- Local adaptation across a climatic gradient despite small effective population size in the rare sapphire rockcress.
- Localization of DIR1 at the tissue, cellular and subcellular levels during Systemic Acquired Resistance in Arabidopsis using DIR1:GUS and DIR1:EGFP reporters.
- Long-term declines in nutritional quality of tropical leaves.
- Maple and hickory leaf litter fungal communities reflect pre-senescent leaf communities.
- Mapping of ionomic traits in Mimulus guttatus reveals Mo and Cd QTLs that colocalize with MOT1 homologues.
- Maximizing leaf carbon gain in varying saline conditions: An optimization model with dynamic mesophyll conductance.
- Mechanical defenses in leaves eaten by Costa Rican howling monkeys (Alouatta palliata).
- Mechanisms for minimizing height-related stomatal conductance declines in tall vines.
- Molecular analysis of SCARECROW function reveals a radial patterning mechanism common to root and shoot.
- Molecular biology: microRNA is here to stay.
- N. plumbaginifolia zeaxanthin epoxidase transgenic lines have unaltered baseline ABA accumulations in roots and xylem sap, but contrasting sensitivities of ABA accumulation to water deficit.
- Native root xylem embolism and stomatal closure in stands of Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine: mitigation by hydraulic redistribution.
- Natural selection on a leaf-shape polymorphism in the ivyleaf morning glory (Ipomoea hederacea).
- Natural variation in MAM within and between populations of Arabidopsis lyrata determines glucosinolate phenotype.
- Nitric oxide enhances salt secretion and Na+ sequestration in a mangrove plant, Avicennia marina, through increasing the expression of H+-ATPase and Na+/H+ antiporter under high salinity
- Nitrogen-addition effects on leaf traits and photosynthetic carbon gain of boreal forest understory shrubs.
- Nonlinear dynamics of the CAM circadian rhythm in response to environmental forcing.
- On the complementary relationship between marginal nitrogen and water-use efficiencies among Pinus taeda leaves grown under ambient and CO2-enriched environments.
- Overexpression of CaDSR6 increases tolerance to drought and salt stresses in transgenic Arabidopsis plants.
- Overexpression of a Brassica rapa NGATHA gene in Arabidopsis thaliana negatively affects cell proliferation during lateral organ and root growth.
- Paravertebral catheter study leaves questions unanswered.
- Patterns of gut bacterial colonization in three primate species.
- Photoperiodic regulation of the seasonal pattern of photosynthetic capacity and the implications for carbon cycling.
- Phylogenetic relationships of the liverworts (Hepaticae), a basal embryophyte lineage, inferred from nucleotide sequence data of the chloroplast gene rbcL.
- Physiological responses of Norway spruce (Picea abies) seedlings to drought stress.
- PhytoBeta imager: a positron imager for plant biology.
- Plant community change mediates the response of foliar δ(15)N to CO 2 enrichment in mesic grasslands.
- Plant stomata function in innate immunity against bacterial invasion.
- Plasmonic Nanoprobes for in Vivo Multimodal Sensing and Bioimaging of MicroRNA within Plants.
- Potassium supply modulates Eucalyptus leaf water-status under PEG-induced osmotic stress: integrating leaf gas exchange, carbon and nitrogen isotopic composition and plant growth.
- Pseudomonas syringae Effector Avirulence Protein E Localizes to the Host Plasma Membrane and Down-Regulates the Expression of the NONRACE-SPECIFIC DISEASE RESISTANCE1/HARPIN-INDUCED1-LIKE13 Gene Required for Antibacterial Immunity in Arabidopsis.
- Pseudomonas syringae infection assays in Arabidopsis.
- Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 HopPtoM (CEL ORF3) is important for lesion formation but not growth in tomato and is secreted and translocated by the Hrp type III secretion system in a chaperone-dependent manner.
- Putting plant resistance traits on the map: a test of the idea that plants are better defended at lower latitudes.
- Quantitative in situ assay of salicylic acid in tobacco leaves using a genetically modified biosensor strain of Acinetobacter sp. ADP1.
- Regulation of growth-defense balance by the JASMONATE ZIM-DOMAIN (JAZ)-MYC transcriptional module.
- Responses of tropical native and invader C4 grasses to water stress, clipping and increased atmospheric CO2 concentration.
- Role of aquaporins in determining transpiration and photosynthesis in water-stressed plants: crop water-use efficiency, growth and yield.
- Role of farnesyltransferase in ABA regulation of guard cell anion channels and plant water loss.
- Role of plant stomata in bacterial invasion.
- Selection for character displacement is constrained by the genetic architecture of floral traits in the ivyleaf morning glory.
- Sex-related differences in growth and carbon allocation to defence in Populus tremula as explained by current plant defence theories.
- Shared in planta population and transcriptomic features of nonpathogenic members of endophytic phyllosphere microbiota.
- Shoot structure and photosynthetic efficiency along the light gradient in a Scots pine canopy.
- Short-term effects of fertilization on photosynthesis and leaf morphology of field-grown loblolly pine following long-term exposure to elevated CO(2) concentration.
- Spatial and temporal regulation of biosynthesis of the plant immune signal salicylic acid.
- Spatiotemporal variation of crown-scale stomatal conductance in an arid Vitis vinifera L. cv. Merlot vineyard: direct effects of hydraulic properties and indirect effects of canopy leaf area.
- St. John's wort in generalized anxiety disorder: three case reports.
- Stomatal sensitivity to vapor pressure deficit and its relationship to hydraulic conductance in Pinus palustris.
- Structural adjustments in resprouting trees drive differences in post-fire transpiration.
- Subcellular localization and functional analysis of the Arabidopsis GTPase RabE.
- Suppression of the microRNA pathway by bacterial effector proteins.
- Sustained effects of atmospheric [CO2] and nitrogen availability on forest soil CO2 efflux.
- Testing the optimal defense hypothesis in nature: Variation for glucosinolate profiles within plants.
- The B cell death function of obinutuzumab-HDEL produced in plant (Nicotiana benthamiana L.) is equivalent to obinutuzumab produced in CHO cells.
- The Erwinia amylovora avrRpt2EA gene contributes to virulence on pear and AvrRpt2EA is recognized by Arabidopsis RPS2 when expressed in pseudomonas syringae.
- The Populus holobiont: dissecting the effects of plant niches and genotype on the microbiome.
- The effect of hydraulic lift on organic matter decomposition, soil nitrogen cycling, and nitrogen acquisition by a grass species.
- The effects of elevated CO2 and nitrogen fertilization on stomatal conductance estimated from 11 years of scaled sap flux measurements at Duke FACE
- The effects of leaf area density variation on the particle collection efficiency in the size range of ultrafine particles (UFP).
- The epidemiology of tea consumption and colorectal cancer incidence.
- The role of diversification in community assembly of the oaks (Quercus L.) across the continental U.S.
- The role of water in plant-microbe interactions.
- The space-time continuum: the effects of elevated CO2 and temperature on trees and the importance of scaling.
- Trait-based variation in host contribution to pathogen transmission across species and resource supplies.
- Transcription factors and hormones: new insights into plant cell differentiation.
- Transient floral change and rapid global warming at the Paleocene-Eocene boundary.
- Two new endophytic Atractiellomycetes, Atractidochium hillariae and Proceropycnis hameedii.
- Unifying constructal theory of tree roots, canopies and forests.
- Using δ13C and δ18O to analyze loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) response to experimental drought and fertilization.
- Variability in net ecosystem exchange from hourly to inter-annual time scales at adjacent pine and hardwood forests: a wavelet analysis
- Variability of sun-induced chlorophyll fluorescence according to stand age-related processes in a managed loblolly pine forest.
- Variation and fitness costs for tolerance to different types of herbivore damage in Boechera stricta genotypes with contrasting glucosinolate structures.
- Variation in Plant Response to Herbivory Underscored by Functional Traits.
- Variations in leaf water status and drought tolerance of dominant tree species growing in multi-aged tropical forests in Thailand.
- Weak tradeoff between xylem safety and xylem-specific hydraulic efficiency across the world's woody plant species.
- Xylem-phloem hydraulic coupling explains multiple osmoregulatory responses to salt stress.