Subject Areas on Research
- A Brain to Spine Interface for Transferring Artificial Sensory Information.
- A Closed Loop Brain-machine Interface for Epilepsy Control Using Dorsal Column Electrical Stimulation.
- A brain-to-brain interface for real-time sharing of sensorimotor information.
- A calcium-responsive transcription factor, CaRF, that regulates neuronal activity-dependent expression of BDNF.
- A controlled high-fat diet induces an obese syndrome in rats.
- A distinctive subpopulation of medial septal slow-firing neurons promote hippocampal activation and theta oscillations.
- A multi-channel whisker stimulator for producing spatiotemporally complex tactile stimuli.
- Absolute measurements of water content using magnetic resonance imaging: preliminary findings in an in vivo focal ischemic rat model.
- Acquiring local field potential information from amperometric neurochemical recordings.
- Age- and gender-related differences in sensitivity to chlorpyrifos in the rat reflect developmental profiles of esterase activities.
- Age-independent and dose-response effects of ethanol on spatial memory in rats.
- An NMDA antagonist in the MPOA impairs copulation and stimulus sensitization in male rats.
- An absolute measurement of brain water content using magnetic resonance imaging in two focal cerebral ischemic rat models.
- Apolipoprotein A-IV interacts synergistically with melanocortins to reduce food intake.
- Appetitive changes during salt deprivation are paralleled by widespread neuronal adaptations in nucleus accumbens, lateral hypothalamus, and central amygdala.
- Automated measurement of acetylcholinesterase activity in rat peripheral tissues.
- Basal forebrain dynamics during a tactile discrimination task.
- Behavioral and neural responses to gustatory stimuli delivered non-contingently through intra-oral cannulas.
- Behavioral detection of tactile stimuli during 7-12 Hz cortical oscillations in awake rats.
- Behavioral modulation of tactile responses in the rat somatosensory system.
- Behavioral properties of the trigeminal somatosensory system in rats performing whisker-dependent tactile discriminations.
- Beta Frequency Oscillations in the Subthalamic Nucleus Are Not Sufficient for the Development of Symptoms of Parkinsonian Bradykinesia/Akinesia in Rats.
- Bilateral integration of whisker information in the primary somatosensory cortex of rats.
- Blockade of NMDA receptors in the dorsomedial striatum prevents action-outcome learning in instrumental conditioning.
- Building an organic computing device with multiple interconnected brains.
- Bypassing the duodenum does not improve insulin resistance associated with diet-induced obesity in rodents.
- CNS glucagon-like peptide-1 receptors mediate endocrine and anxiety responses to interoceptive and psychogenic stressors.
- COG1410, an apolipoprotein E-based peptide, improves cognitive performance and reduces cortical loss following moderate fluid percussion injury in the rat.
- Cell survival promoted by the Ras-MAPK signaling pathway by transcription-dependent and -independent mechanisms.
- Cell type-specific changes in retinal ganglion cell function induced by rod death and cone reorganization in rats.
- Central Nervous System GLP-1 Receptors Regulate Islet Hormone Secretion and Glucose Homeostasis in Male Rats.
- Central infusion of glucagon-like peptide-1-(7-36) amide (GLP-1) receptor antagonist attenuates lithium chloride-induced c-Fos induction in rat brainstem.
- Characterizing effects of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation on methamphetamine-induced circling behavior in hemi-Parkinsonian rats.
- Chronic spinal cord electrical stimulation protects against 6-hydroxydopamine lesions.
- Comparison of acute neurobehavioral and cholinesterase inhibitory effects of N-methylcarbamates in rat.
- Consumption of a high-fat diet induces central insulin resistance independent of adiposity.
- Contributions of striatal subregions to place and response learning.
- Coordination of Brain-Wide Activity Dynamics by Dopaminergic Neurons.
- Cortical Neuroprosthesis Merges Visible and Invisible Light Without Impairing Native Sensory Function.
- Cortical and thalamic contributions to response dynamics across layers of the primary somatosensory cortex during tactile discrimination.
- Deconstructing 5-HT6 receptor effects on striatal circuit function.
- Deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus reestablishes neuronal information transmission in the 6-OHDA rat model of parkinsonism.
- Developmental changes in seizure susceptibility during ethanol withdrawal.
- Dietary galactose inhibits GDF-9 mediated follicular development in the rat ovary.
- Differences in the central anorectic effects of glucagon-like peptide-1 and exendin-4 in rats.
- Differential LRRK2 expression in the cortex, striatum, and substantia nigra in transgenic and nontransgenic rodents.
- Differential effects of modulation of docosahexaenoic acid content during development in specific regions of rat brain.
- Disinhibition in rat superior colliculus mediated by GABAc receptors.
- Dissociable roles for the basolateral amygdala and orbitofrontal cortex in decision-making under risk of punishment.
- Distinct neural ensembles in the rat gustatory cortex encode salt and water tastes.
- Distribution of glucagon-like peptide-1 immunoreactivity in the hypothalamic paraventricular and supraoptic nuclei.
- Dopamine D1 receptors and phosphorylation of dopamine- and cyclic AMP-regulated phosphoprotein-32 in the medial preoptic area are involved in experience-induced enhancement of male sexual behavior in rats.
- Dose-sensitive excitation and inhibition of spontaneous amygdala activity by propranolol.
- Dynamic and multimodal responses of gustatory cortical neurons in awake rats.
- Effect of sub-chronic intermittent ethanol exposure on spatial learning and ethanol sensitivity in adolescent and adult rats.
- Effect of the isoflavone genistein against galactose-induced cataracts in rats.
- Effect of vertical sleeve gastrectomy on food selection and satiation in rats.
- Effective deep brain stimulation suppresses low-frequency network oscillations in the basal ganglia by regularizing neural firing patterns.
- Effects of a fixed meal pattern on ghrelin secretion: evidence for a learned response independent of nutrient status.
- Effects of acute normovolemic hemodilution on T2*-weighted images of rat brain.
- Effects of genistein or soy milk during late gestation and lactation on adult uterine organization in the rat.
- Embedding a Panoramic Representation of Infrared Light in the Adult Rat Somatosensory Cortex through a Sensory Neuroprosthesis.
- Encoding of tactile stimulus location by somatosensory thalamocortical ensembles.
- Enhanced retention in the passive-avoidance task by 5-HT(1A) receptor blockade is not associated with increased activity of the central nucleus of the amygdala.
- Esterase detoxication of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors using human liver samples in vitro.
- Esterase metabolism of cholinesterase inhibitors using rat liver in vitro.
- Ethanol inhibits spontaneous activity of central nucleus of the amygdala neurons but does not impair retention in the passive-avoidance task.
- Failure to suppress low-frequency neuronal oscillatory activity underlies the reduced effectiveness of random patterns of deep brain stimulation.
- Food intake-independent effects of CB1 antagonism on glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Frequency-dependent, transient effects of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation on methamphetamine-induced circling and neuronal activity in the hemiparkinsonian rat.
- Functional electrical stimulation helps replenish progenitor cells in the injured spinal cord of adult rats.
- Further assessment of an in vitro screen that may help identify organophosphorus pesticides that are more acutely toxic to the young.
- GLP-1R agonism enhances adjustable gastric banding in diet-induced obese rats.
- GLP-1R responsiveness predicts individual gastric bypass efficacy on glucose tolerance in rats.
- Gastric acid and particulate aspiration injury inhibits pulmonary bacterial clearance.
- Genetic background influences LRRK2-mediated Rab phosphorylation in the rat brain.
- Gestational exposure to chlorpyrifos: apparent protection of the fetus?
- Gestational exposure to chlorpyrifos: comparative distribution of trichloropyridinol in the fetus and dam.
- Gestational exposure to chlorpyrifos: dose response profiles for cholinesterase and carboxylesterase activity.
- Ghrelin enhances olfactory sensitivity and exploratory sniffing in rodents and humans.
- Global forebrain dynamics predict rat behavioral states and their transitions.
- Heterogeneous integration of bilateral whisker signals by neurons in primary somatosensory cortex of awake rats.
- High-fat diet changes the temporal profile of GLP-1 receptor-mediated hypophagia in rats.
- Hyperphagia and increased fat accumulation in two models of chronic CNS glucagon-like peptide-1 loss of function.
- Ignoring correlated activity causes a failure of retinal population codes.
- Immediate thalamic sensory plasticity depends on corticothalamic feedback.
- Impact of chemical proportions on the acute neurotoxicity of a mixture of seven carbamates in preweanling and adult rats.
- Impact of intestinal electrical stimulation on nutrient-induced GLP-1 secretion in vivo.
- In vitro properties of neurons in the rat pretectal nucleus of the optic tract.
- Inactivation of dorsolateral striatum enhances sensitivity to changes in the action-outcome contingency in instrumental conditioning.
- Increased dietary fat attenuates the anorexic effects of intracerebroventricular injections of MTII.
- Increased expression of 5-HT₆ receptors in dorsolateral striatum decreases habitual lever pressing, but does not affect learning acquisition of simple operant tasks in rats.
- Increased expression of the 5-HT6 receptor by viral mediated gene transfer into posterior but not anterior dorsomedial striatum interferes with acquisition of a discrete action-outcome task.
- Inhibition of central amylin signaling increases food intake and body adiposity in rats.
- Insulin increases central apolipoprotein E levels as revealed by an improved technique for collection of cerebrospinal fluid from rats.
- Integration of bilateral whisker stimuli in rats: role of the whisker barrel cortices.
- Inter-mosaic coordination of retinal receptive fields.
- Intestinal adaptation after ileal interposition surgery increases bile acid recycling and protects against obesity-related comorbidities.
- Intravascular food reward.
- Layer-specific somatosensory cortical activation during active tactile discrimination.
- Lesions of dorsolateral striatum preserve outcome expectancy but disrupt habit formation in instrumental learning.
- Licking-induced synchrony in the taste-reward circuit improves cue discrimination during learning.
- Long-lasting novelty-induced neuronal reverberation during slow-wave sleep in multiple forebrain areas.
- Loop diuretics have anxiolytic effects in rat models of conditioned anxiety.
- Lysophosphatidic acid receptor signaling in mammalian retinal pigment epithelial cells.
- Massive light-driven translocation of transducin between the two major compartments of rod cells: a novel mechanism of light adaptation.
- Meal feeding improves oral glucose tolerance in male rats and causes adaptations in postprandial islet hormone secretion that are independent of plasma incretins or glycemia.
- Meal-anticipatory glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion in rats.
- Mechanisms of oleoylethanolamide-induced changes in feeding behavior and motor activity.
- Metabolic effects of dietary lactose in adult female rats.
- Model-based deconstruction of cortical evoked potentials generated by subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation.
- Neural ensemble coding of satiety states.
- Neurobehavioral effects of chronic dietary and repeated high-level spike exposure to chlorpyrifos in rats.
- Neurochemical effects of chronic dietary and repeated high-level acute exposure to chlorpyrifos in rats.
- Neuronal activity in the primary somatosensory thalamocortical loop is modulated by reward contingency during tactile discrimination.
- Neuronal ensemble bursting in the basal forebrain encodes salience irrespective of valence.
- Obesity induced by a high-fat diet downregulates apolipoprotein A-IV gene expression in rat hypothalamus.
- Ocular melanoma in a Long Evans rat.
- Optimized temporal pattern of brain stimulation designed by computational evolution.
- Orbitofrontal ensemble activity monitors licking and distinguishes among natural rewards.
- Ovarian effects of a high lactose diet in the female rat.
- Parallel Inhibitory and Excitatory Trigemino-Facial Feedback Circuitry for Reflexive Vibrissa Movement.
- Pathway-Specific Asymmetries between ON and OFF Visual Signals.
- Patterned low-frequency deep brain stimulation induces motor deficits and modulates cortex-basal ganglia neural activity in healthy rats.
- Perceiving invisible light through a somatosensory cortical prosthesis.
- Polycystic kidney disease as a result of loss of the tuberous sclerosis 2 tumor suppressor gene during development.
- Potential role of PTEN phosphatase in ethanol-impaired survival signaling in the liver.
- Principal component analysis of neuronal ensemble activity reveals multidimensional somatosensory representations.
- Processing of tactile information by the hippocampus.
- Promotion by sodium barbital induces early development but does not increase the multiplicity of hereditary renal tumors in Eker rats.
- Proteomic profiling of a layered tissue reveals unique glycolytic specializations of photoreceptor cells.
- Quantifying lipofuscin in retinal pigment epithelium in vivo by visible-light optical coherence tomography-based multimodal imaging.
- Quantitative magnetic resonance imaging in experimental hypercapnia: improvement in the relation between changes in brain R2 and the oxygen saturation of venous blood after correction for changes in cerebral blood volume.
- Rapid hepatic metabolism blunts the endocrine action of portally infused GLP-1 in male rats.
- Rapid taste responses in the gustatory cortex during licking.
- Real-time control of a robot arm using simultaneously recorded neurons in the motor cortex.
- Reduction of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure activity in awake rats by seizure-triggered trigeminal nerve stimulation.
- Regulation of gastric emptying rate and its role in nutrient-induced GLP-1 secretion in rats after vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
- Reinforcer devaluation abolishes conditioned cue preference: evidence for stimulus-stimulus associations.
- Relationship between brain and plasma carbaryl levels and cholinesterase inhibition.
- Rescue of Methyl-CpG Binding Protein 2 Dysfunction-induced Defects in Newborn Neurons by Pentobarbital.
- Restricted expression of WT1 messenger ribonucleic acid in immature ovarian follicles: uniformity in mammalian and avian species and maintenance during reproductive senescence.
- Reversal of diet-induced obesity increases insulin transport into cerebrospinal fluid and restores sensitivity to the anorexic action of central insulin in male rats.
- Role of cortical feedback in the receptive field structure and nonlinear response properties of somatosensory thalamic neurons.
- Schizophrenia-like GABAergic gene expression deficits in cerebellar Golgi cells from rats chronically exposed to low-dose phencyclidine.
- Similar effects of roux-en-Y gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy on glucose regulation in rats.
- Simultaneous reorganization in thalamocortical ensembles evolves over several hours after perioral capsaicin injections.
- Simultaneous top-down modulation of the primary somatosensory cortex and thalamic nuclei during active tactile discrimination.
- Spatiotemporal coupling between hippocampal acetylcholine release and theta oscillations in vivo.
- Spatiotemporal properties of layer V neurons of the rat primary somatosensory cortex.
- Spike avalanches exhibit universal dynamics across the sleep-wake cycle.
- Suppression of food intake by glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists: relative potencies and role of dipeptidyl peptidase-4.
- Survival of adult rat retinal ganglion cells with regrown axons in peripheral nerve grafts: a comparison of graft attachment with suture of fibrin glue.
- Sustained functional improvement by hepatocyte growth factor-like small molecule BB3 after focal cerebral ischemia in rats and mice.
- Taste-guided decisions differentially engage neuronal ensembles across gustatory cortices.
- Taste-specific neuronal ensembles in the gustatory cortex of awake rats.
- The Role of Elevated Branched-Chain Amino Acids in the Effects of Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy to Reduce Weight and Improve Glucose Regulation.
- The anorectic effect of GLP-1 in rats is nutrient dependent.
- The diverse roles of specific GLP-1 receptors in the control of food intake and the response to visceral illness.
- The effects of GLP-1 infusion in the hepatic portal region on food intake.
- The role of CNS glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36) amide receptors in mediating the visceral illness effects of lithium chloride.
- The role of pedunculopontine nucleus in choice behavior under risk.
- The role of the dorsomedial striatum in instrumental conditioning.
- The role of ΔfosB in the medial preoptic area: Differential effects of mating and cocaine history.
- Time course of cholinesterase inhibition in adult rats treated acutely with carbaryl, carbofuran, formetanate, methomyl, methiocarb, oxamyl or propoxur.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation induces current pulses in transcranial direct current stimulation electrodes.
- Transducin translocation in rods is triggered by saturation of the GTPase-activating complex.
- Upstream stimulatory factors are mediators of Ca2+-responsive transcription in neurons.
- Uterine leiomyoma in the Eker rat: a unique model for important diseases of women.
- Voluntary consumption of ethyl oleate reduces food intake and body weight in rats.
- Weight loss through ileal transposition is accompanied by increased ileal hormone secretion and synthesis in rats.
- Weight-independent changes in blood glucose homeostasis after gastric bypass or vertical sleeve gastrectomy in rats.
- siRNA inhibition of aspartyl-asparaginyl β-hydroxylase expression impairs cell motility, Notch signaling, and fetal growth.
- ΔN-TRPV1: A Molecular Co-detector of Body Temperature and Osmotic Stress.
Keywords of People
- Nicolelis, Miguel Angelo L., Duke School of Medicine Distinguished Professor in Neuroscience, Neurobiology