Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
NOV 15, 2016 Duke Research Blog
NOV 25, 2015 KCRW’s “Press Play with Madeline Brand”
FEB 18, 2014 The Christian Science Monitor
SEP 9, 2013 San Jose Mercury News
SEP 4, 2013
- ACCESS Arab American Research Initiative awarded by Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services 2016 - 2018
- Thriving after Surviving: Strategies for Improving Muslim Refugee Student Outcomes awarded by William T Grant Foundation 2018
- Caregiving and Flourishing Mental Health awarded by St. Louis University 2016 - 2018
- Challenges and Prospects for Disaggregating Health Data among Whites awarded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation 2016 - 2017
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Rieker, PP, and Read, JG. "The Health Gender Gap: A Constrained Choice Explanation. A Constrained Choice Explanation." In The Psychology of Gender and Health: Conceptual and Applied Global Concerns, 85-118. January 4, 2017. Full Text
- Cainkar, L, and Read, JG. "Arab Americans and gender." In Biopsychosocial Perspectives on Arab Americans: Culture, Development, and Health, 89-105. November 1, 2014. Full Text
- Read, J, and Cainkar, L. "Gender, Culture, and Arab Health." In A Biopsychosocial Approach to Arab Americans: Perspectives on Culture, Development and Health, edited by S Nassar-McMillan, J Hakim-Larson, and K Ajrouch, 155-191. Springer, 2012.
- Read, JNG, and Eagle, D. "Intersecting Identities: Religion and Gender among Arab Americans." In Religion and Inequality, edited by L Keister and D Sherkat. Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Read, JNG, and Reynolds, M. "Gender and Health among U.S. Immigrants." In Health Care and Immigration: Understanding the Connections, edited by P Fernandez-Kelly and A Portes, 82-109. Routledge, 2012.
- Read, JG. "Religion, family, and women's employment among Muslim and Christian Arab Americans." In Religion, Families, and Health: Population-Based Research in the United States, 206-225. December 1, 2010.
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and Health Revisited." In The Handbook of the Sociology of Health, Illness, & Healing: Blueprint for the 21st Century. 2010.
- Read, JNG. "The Diversity of the New Immigrant Religious Populations." In Faith, Politics & Press in Our Perilous Times, edited by S Burgard, 101-117. Kendall/Hunt, 2010.
- Read, J. "The Effects of Post-9/11 Discrimination on Arab-American Racial Identity." In From Invisibility to Visibility: The Racialization of Arab Americans Before and After September 11th, edited by N Naber and A Jamal. Syracuse University Press, 2008.
- Read, J. "Religion and Women’s Employment Over Life Course: A Comparison of Christian and Muslim Arab Americans." In Religion, Families, and Health in the United States: New Directions for Population-Based Research, edited by R Hummer and CG Ellison. Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Read, J. "Multiple Identities among Arabs in America: A Tale of Two Congregations." In At Home and Abroad: Being and Belonging among U.S. Immigrants from Muslim Countries After September 11, edited by S Platz. Russell Sage Foundation, 2008.
- Read, J. "To Veil or Not to Veil: A Case Study of Identity Negotiation among Muslim Women Living in Austin, Texas." In Gender Through the Prism of Difference, edited by MB Zinn, P Hondagneu-Sotelo, and M Messner. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Read, JNG. "North American Islam." In Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion, edited by R Wuthnow. CQ Press, 2008.
- Read, JNG. "The Gender Gap in Arab-American Political Engagement." In American Arabs and Political Participation, edited by P Strum. Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 2008.
- Read, J. "Gender and Middle Eastern Health: A New Immigrant Case." Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America. Detroit. 2009.
- Read, J. "Religion and Identity Politics among Blacks and Whites." annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. San Francisco. 2009.
- Read, J. "Reproducing Inequality? Female Education in Arab-American Families." annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Philadelphia. 2005.
- Read, J. "Bridge or Barrier? Religious Identity and the Civic Incorporation of Muslim and Christian Arab Americans." annual meetings of the Association for the Sociology of Religion. Philadelphia. 2005.
- Read, JG, and Smith, PB. "Gender and national origin differences in healthcare utilization among U.S. Immigrants from Mexico, China, and India.(Accepted)" Ethnicity & Health 23, no. 8 (November 2018): 867-883. Full Text
- Eagle, D, Keister, LA, and Read, JG. "Household Charitable Giving at the Intersection of Gender, Marital Status, and Religion." Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (October 12, 2017): 089976401773465-089976401773465. Full Text
- Read, JG, Porter, JR, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and the Mental-Physical Health Connection Among U.S. Adults." Sociological Forum 31, no. 4 (December 2016): 1104-1125. Full Text
- Reynolds, MM, Chernenko, A, and Read, JG. "Region of origin diversity in immigrant health: Moving beyond the Mexican case." Social Science & Medicine (1982) 166 (October 2016): 102-109. Full Text
- Hussain, S, and Read, JG. "Islamic schools in the United States and England: Implications for integration and social cohesion." Social Compass 62, no. 4 (December 2015): 556-569. Full Text
- Varughese, S, Read, JG, Al-Khal, A, Abo Salah, S, El Deeb, Y, and Cameron, PA. "Effectiveness of the Middle East respiratory syndrome-coronavirus protocol in enhancing the function of an Emergency Department in Qatar." European journal of emergency medicine : official journal of the European Society for Emergency Medicine 22, no. 5 (October 2015): 316-320. Full Text
- Read, JG. "Gender, Religious Identity, and Civic Engagement among Arab Muslims in the United States." Sociology of Religion 76, no. 1 (January 1, 2015): 30-48. Full Text
- Read, JG, Varughese, S, and Cameron, PA. "Determinants of non-urgent Emergency Department attendance among females in Qatar." Qatar Medical Journal 2014, no. 2 (December 2014): 16-16. Full Text
- Read, JG. "In Search of Sociological Congruence." Social Currents 1, no. 1 (February 2014): 44-50. Full Text
- Read, JG. "Measuring Ethnicity with U.S. Census Data: Implications for Mexicans and Arabs." Population Research and Policy Review 32, no. 4 (August 1, 2013): 611-631. Full Text
- Read, JNG, and Reynolds, M. "Gender Differences in Immigrant Health: The Case of Mexican and Middle Eastern Immigrants." Journal of Health & Social Behavior 53 (2012): 99-123. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and Health Inequality." Annual Review of Sociology 36, no. 1 (June 2010): 371-386. Full Text
- Gorman, BK, Read, JNG, and Krueger, P. "Gender, Acculturation and Health among Mexican American Immigrants." Journal of Health & Social Behavior 51 (2010): 440-457. (Academic Article)
- Read, J. "Intersecting Identities as a Source of Religious Incongruence." American Sociological Association (2010).
- Read, J. "Healthy Migrants or Just Healthy Men?." Population Association of America (2010).
- Read, JNG, and Eagle, D. "Intersecting Identities as a Source of Religious Incongruence." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion (2010). (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, and Oselin, S. "Gender and the Education-Employment Paradox in Ethnic and Religious Contexts: The Case of Arab Americans." American Sociological Review 73 (April 2008): 296-313. (Academic Article)
- Read, J. "The Changing Face of Americans: Gender and the Health Policy Implications of." American Sociological Association (2008).
- Read, JNG. "Being Arab: Ethnic and Religious Identity Among Second Generation Youth in Montreal by Paul Eid." American Journal of Sociology 114 (2008). (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "Faith, Fact, and Fiction: What Muslim Americans Really Mean for U.S. Democracy." Contexts 7 (2008): 39-43. (Academic Article)
- Gorman, BK, and Read, JNG. "Why Men Die Younger than Women." Geriatrics & Aging 10 (March 2007): 179-182. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Racial/ethnic differences in hypertension and depression among US adult women." Ethnicity & disease 17, no. 2 (January 2007): 389-396.
- Read, JNG, and Cohen, PN. "One Size Fits All? Explaining U.S.-born and Immigrant Women’s Employment across 12 Ethnic Groups." Social Forces 85 (2007): 1713-1734. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Racial/Ethnic Differences in Hypertension and Depression among US Adult Women." Ethnicity & Disease 17 (2007): 383-390. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "More of a Bridge than a Gap: Gender Differences in Arab-American Political Engagement." Social Science Quarterly (Blackwell Publishing Limited) 88 (2007): p1072-1091. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "Introduction: The Politics of Veiling in Comparative Perspective." Sociology of Religion 68 (2007): p231-236. (Academic Article)
- Gorman, BK, and Read, JNG. "Gender Disparities in Adult Health: An Examination of Three Measures of Morbidity." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 47 (July 2006): 95-110. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Erratum to "Gender inequalities in US adult health: The interplay of race and ethnicity". [Social Science & Medicine 62 (2006) 1045-1065] (DOI:10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.07.009)." Social Science and Medicine 62, no. 12 (June 1, 2006): 3197-3198. Full Text
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender Inequalities in US Adult Health: The Interplay of Race and Ethnicity." Social Science & Medicine 62 (2006): 1045-1065. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, Emerson, MO, and Tarlov, A. "Implications of Black Immigrant Health for U.S. Racial Disparities in Health." Journal of Immigrant Health 7 (July 2005): 205-212. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, Amick, B, and Donato, KM. "Arab Immigrants: A New Case for Ethnicity and Health?." Social Science & Medicine 61 (2005): 77-82. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, and Emerson, MO. "Racial Context, Black Immigration and the U.S. Black/White Health Disparity." Social Forces 84 (2005): p181-199. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "Cultural Influences on Immigrant Women’s Labor Force Participation: The Case of Arab Americans." International Migration Review 38 (2004): 52-77. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "Family, Religion, and Work Among Arab-American Women." Journal of Marriage and Family 66 (2004): 1042-1050. (Academic Article)
- Bartkowski, JP, and Read, JNG. "Veiled Submission: Gender, Power, and Identity among Evangelical and Muslim Women in the U.S." Qualitative Sociology 26 (2003): 71-92. (Academic Article)
- Marshall, SE, and Read, JNG. "“Identity Politics among Arab-American Women." Social Science Quarterly 84 (2003): 875-891. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "The Sources of Gender Role Attitudes among Christian and Muslim Arab-American Women." Sociology of Religion 64 (2003): 207-222. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG. "Challenging Myths of Muslim Women: The Influence of Islam On Arab-Arnerican Women's Labor Force Activity." The Muslim World 92, no. 1-2 (March 2002): 19-37. Full Text
- Read, JNG. "Challenging Myths of Muslim Women: The Influence of Islam on Arab-American Women’s Labor Force Participation." Muslim World 96 (2002): 18-39. (Academic Article)
- READ, JG, and BARTKOWSKI, JP. "TO VEIL OR NOT TO VEIL?." Gender & Society 14, no. 3 (June 2000): 395-417. Full Text
- Read, J. "Muslims seen as outsiders." Philadelphia Inquirer (2009).
- Read, J. "Movement in the Right Direction." Social Science Research Council Immanent Frame (2009).
- Read, J. "Reason to Remain Hopeful." Social Science Research Council Immanent Frame (2009).
- Read, J. "Are U.S. Muslims Un-American." Raleigh News & Obsever, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Detroit Free Press, Des Moines (November 2008).
- Read, J. "U.S. Muslims could Swing the Vote." Philadelphia Inquirer, Raleigh News & Obsever, and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (October 2008).
- Teaching & Mentoring
- GLHLTH 340: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2018
- GLHLTH 393: Research Independent Study in Global Health 2018
- RIGHTS 362: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2018
- SOCIOL 255: Sociology of Immigration and Health 2018
- SOCIOL 361: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2018
- SOCIOL 880: Special Topics in Sociology 2018
- SOCIOL 765S: Proseminar: Topics in Social Stratification 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Islamic Schools: Help or Hindrance to Integration. December 6, 2010 2010
- Muslim Integration in the U.S. and Germany. December 6, 2010 2010
- Gender Differences in Middle Eastern Immigrant Health. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. December 15, 2009 2009
- Healthy Migrants or Just Healthy Men?. New York University. December 15, 2009 2009
- Middle Eastern Americans in Higher Education. National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education. May 26, 2008 2008
- The Values Voter. February 6, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.