Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
NOV 15, 2016 Duke Research Blog
NOV 25, 2015 KCRW’s “Press Play with Madeline Brand”
FEB 18, 2014 The Christian Science Monitor
SEP 9, 2013 San Jose Mercury News
SEP 4, 2013
- ACCESS Arab American Research Initiative awarded by Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services 2016 - 2018
- Thriving after Surviving: Strategies for Improving Muslim Refugee Student Outcomes awarded by William T Grant Foundation 2018
- Caregiving and Flourishing Mental Health awarded by St. Louis University 2016 - 2018
- Challenges and Prospects for Disaggregating Health Data among Whites awarded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation 2016 - 2017
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Read, JNG, Ajrouch, KJ, and West, JS. "Disparities in functional disability among Arab Americans by nativity, immigrant arrival cohort, and country of birth(Accepted)." Ssm Population Health 7 (April 2019): 100325-100325. Full Text
- Read, JG, and Smith, PB. "Gender and national origin differences in healthcare utilization among U.S. Immigrants from Mexico, China, and India." Ethnicity & Health 23, no. 8 (November 2018): 867-883. Full Text
- Eagle, D, Keister, LA, and Read, JG. "Household Charitable Giving at the Intersection of Gender, Marital Status, and Religion." Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 47, no. 1 (February 1, 2018): 185-205. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Read, JG, Porter, JR, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and the Mental–Physical Health Connection Among U.S. Adults." Sociological Forum 31, no. 4 (December 1, 2016): 1104-1125. Full Text
- Reynolds, MM, Chernenko, A, and Read, JG. "Region of origin diversity in immigrant health: Moving beyond the Mexican case." Social Science & Medicine (1982) 166 (October 2016): 102-109. Full Text
- Hussain, S, and Read, JG. "Islamic schools in the United States and England: Implications for integration and social cohesion." Social Compass 62, no. 4 (December 1, 2015): 556-569. Full Text
- Varughese, S, Read, JG, Al-Khal, A, Abo Salah, S, El Deeb, Y, and Cameron, PA. "Effectiveness of the Middle East respiratory syndrome-coronavirus protocol in enhancing the function of an Emergency Department in Qatar." European journal of emergency medicine : official journal of the European Society for Emergency Medicine 22, no. 5 (October 2015): 316-320. Full Text
- Read, JG. "Gender, religious identity, and civic engagement among Arab muslims in the United States." Sociology of Religion: a Quarterly Review 76, no. 1 (January 1, 2015): 30-48. Full Text
- Read, JG, Varughese, S, and Cameron, PA. "Determinants of non-urgent Emergency Department attendance among females in Qatar." Qatar Medical Journal 2014, no. 2 (December 2014): 16-16. Full Text
- Read, JG. "In search of sociological congruence." Social Currents 1, no. 1 (January 1, 2014): 44-50. Full Text
- Read, JNG. "Measuring Ethnicity with U.S. Census Data: Implications for Mexicans and Arabs." Population Research and Policy Review 32, no. 4 (August 2013): 611-631. Full Text
- Read, JNG, and Reynolds, M. "Gender Differences in Immigrant Health: The Case of Mexican and Middle Eastern Immigrants." Journal of Health & Social Behavior 53 (2012): 99-123. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Eagle, DE. "Intersecting Identities as a Source of Religious Incongruence." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 50, no. 1 (March 1, 2011): 116-132. Full Text
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and health inequality." Annual Review of Sociology 36 (August 20, 2010): 371-386. Full Text
- Gorman, BK, Read, JNG, and Krueger, P. "Gender, Acculturation and Health among Mexican American Immigrants." Journal of Health & Social Behavior 51 (2010): 440-457. (Academic Article)
- Read, J. "Intersecting Identities as a Source of Religious Incongruence." American Sociological Association (2010).
- Read, J. "Healthy Migrants or Just Healthy Men?." Population Association of America (2010).
- Read, J. "The Changing Face of Americans: Gender and the Health Policy Implications of." American Sociological Association (2008).
- Read, JG, and Oselin, S. "Gender and the education-employment paradox in ethnic and religious contexts: The case of Arab Americans." American Sociological Review 73, no. 2 (January 1, 2008): 296-313. Full Text
- Read, JNG. "Being Arab: Ethnic and Religious Identity Among Second Generation Youth in Montreal by Paul Eid." American Journal of Sociology 114 (2008). (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "Faith, Fact, and Fiction: What Muslim Americans Really Mean for U.S. Democracy." Contexts 7 (2008): 39-43. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG. "More of a Bridge than a Gap: Gender Differences in Arab-American Political Engagement." Social Science Quarterly 88, no. 5 (December 2007): 1072-1091. Full Text
- Read, JG. "Introduction: The Politics of Veiling in Comparative Perspective*." Sociology of Religion 68, no. 3 (September 1, 2007): 231-236. Full Text
- Read, JG, and Cohen, PN. "One size fits all? Explaining U.S.-born and immigrant women's employment across 12 ethnic groups." Social Forces 85, no. 4 (June 1, 2007): 1713-1734. Full Text
- Gorman, BK, and Read, JG. "Why men die younger than women." Geriatrics and Aging 10, no. 3 (March 1, 2007): 179-181. (Review)
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Racial/ethnic differences in hypertension and depression among US adult women." Ethnicity & disease 17, no. 2 (January 2007): 389-396.
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Racial/Ethnic Differences in Hypertension and Depression among US Adult Women." Ethnicity & Disease 17 (2007): 383-390. (Academic Article)
- Gorman, BK, and Read, JNG. "Gender Disparities in Adult Health: An Examination of Three Measures of Morbidity." Journal of Health and Social Behavior 47 (July 2006): 95-110. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Gorman, BK. "Erratum to "Gender inequalities in US adult health: The interplay of race and ethnicity". [Social Science & Medicine 62 (2006) 1045-1065] (DOI:10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.07.009)." Social Science and Medicine 62, no. 12 (June 1, 2006): 3197-3198. Full Text
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender Inequalities in US Adult Health: The Interplay of Race and Ethnicity." Social Science & Medicine 62 (2006): 1045-1065. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG, and Emerson, MO. "Racial Context, Black Immigration and the U.S. Black/White Health Disparity." Social Forces 84, no. 1 (September 1, 2005): 181-199. Full Text
- Read, JNG, Emerson, MO, and Tarlov, A. "Implications of Black Immigrant Health for U.S. Racial Disparities in Health." Journal of Immigrant Health 7 (July 2005): 205-212. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG, Amick, B, and Donato, KM. "Arab Immigrants: A New Case for Ethnicity and Health?." Social Science & Medicine 61 (2005): 77-82. (Academic Article)
- Ghazal Read, J. "Family, religion, and work among Arab American women." Journal of Marriage and Family 66, no. 4 (November 2004): 1042-1050. Full Text
- Read, JG. "Cultural Influences on Immigrant Women's Labor Force Participation: The Arab-American Case." International Migration Review 38, no. 1 (March 2004): 52-77. Full Text
- Marshall, SE, and Ghazal Read, J. "Identity Politics Among Arab-American Women*." Social Science Quarterly 84, no. 4 (December 2003): 875-891. Full Text
- Bartkowski, JP, and Read, JNG. "Veiled Submission: Gender, Power, and Identity among Evangelical and Muslim Women in the U.S." Qualitative Sociology 26 (2003): 71-92. (Academic Article)
- Read, JNG. "The Sources of Gender Role Attitudes among Christian and Muslim Arab-American Women." Sociology of Religion 64 (2003): 207-222. (Academic Article)
- Read, JG. "Challenging myths of Muslim women: The influence of Islam on Arab-American Women's labor force activity." Muslim World 92, no. 1-2 (January 1, 2002): 19-37. Full Text
- Read, JNG. "Challenging Myths of Muslim Women: The Influence of Islam on Arab-American Women’s Labor Force Participation." Muslim World 96 (2002): 18-39. (Academic Article)
- READ, JGHAZAL, and BARTKOWSKI, JOHNP. "TO VEIL OR NOT TO VEIL?." Gender & Society 14, no. 3 (June 2000): 395-417. Full Text
- Rieker, PP, and Read, JG. "The Health Gender Gap: A Constrained Choice Explanation. A Constrained Choice Explanation." In The Psychology of Gender and Health: Conceptual and Applied Global Concerns, 85-118. January 4, 2017. Full Text
- Cainkar, L, and Read, JG. "Arab Americans and gender." In Biopsychosocial Perspectives on Arab Americans: Culture, Development, and Health, 89-105. November 1, 2014. Full Text
- Read, J, and Cainkar, L. "Gender, Culture, and Arab Health." In A Biopsychosocial Approach to Arab Americans: Perspectives on Culture, Development and Health, edited by S Nassar-McMillan, J Hakim-Larson, and K Ajrouch, 155-191. Springer, 2012.
- Read, JNG, and Eagle, D. "Intersecting Identities: Religion and Gender among Arab Americans." In Religion and Inequality, edited by L Keister and D Sherkat. Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Read, JNG, and Reynolds, M. "Gender and Health among U.S. Immigrants." In Health Care and Immigration: Understanding the Connections, edited by P Fernandez-Kelly and A Portes, 82-109. Routledge, 2012.
- Read, JG. "Religion, family, and women's employment among Muslim and Christian Arab Americans." In Religion, Families, and Health: Population-Based Research in the United States, 206-225. December 1, 2010.
- Read, JNG, and Gorman, BK. "Gender and Health Revisited." In The Handbook of the Sociology of Health, Illness, & Healing: Blueprint for the 21st Century. 2010.
- Read, JNG. "The Diversity of the New Immigrant Religious Populations." In Faith, Politics & Press in Our Perilous Times, edited by S Burgard, 101-117. Kendall/Hunt, 2010.
- Read, J. "The Effects of Post-9/11 Discrimination on Arab-American Racial Identity." In From Invisibility to Visibility: The Racialization of Arab Americans Before and After September 11th, edited by N Naber and A Jamal. Syracuse University Press, 2008.
- Read, J. "Religion and Women’s Employment Over Life Course: A Comparison of Christian and Muslim Arab Americans." In Religion, Families, and Health in the United States: New Directions for Population-Based Research, edited by R Hummer and CG Ellison. Rutgers University Press, 2008.
- Read, J. "Multiple Identities among Arabs in America: A Tale of Two Congregations." In At Home and Abroad: Being and Belonging among U.S. Immigrants from Muslim Countries After September 11, edited by S Platz. Russell Sage Foundation, 2008.
- Read, J. "To Veil or Not to Veil: A Case Study of Identity Negotiation among Muslim Women Living in Austin, Texas." In Gender Through the Prism of Difference, edited by MB Zinn, P Hondagneu-Sotelo, and M Messner. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Read, JNG. "North American Islam." In Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion, edited by R Wuthnow. CQ Press, 2008.
- Read, JNG. "The Gender Gap in Arab-American Political Engagement." In American Arabs and Political Participation, edited by P Strum. Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 2008.
- Read, J. "Muslims seen as outsiders." Philadelphia Inquirer (2009).
- Read, J. "Movement in the Right Direction." Social Science Research Council Immanent Frame (2009).
- Read, J. "Reason to Remain Hopeful." Social Science Research Council Immanent Frame (2009).
- Read, J. "Are U.S. Muslims Un-American." Raleigh News & Obsever, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Detroit Free Press, Des Moines (November 2008).
- Read, J. "U.S. Muslims could Swing the Vote." Philadelphia Inquirer, Raleigh News & Obsever, and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (October 2008).
- Read, J. "Gender and Middle Eastern Health: A New Immigrant Case." Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America. Detroit. 2009.
- Read, J. "Religion and Identity Politics among Blacks and Whites." annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. San Francisco. 2009.
- Read, J. "Reproducing Inequality? Female Education in Arab-American Families." annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Philadelphia. 2005.
- Read, J. "Bridge or Barrier? Religious Identity and the Civic Incorporation of Muslim and Christian Arab Americans." annual meetings of the Association for the Sociology of Religion. Philadelphia. 2005.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- GLHLTH 340: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2019
- GLHLTH 393: Research Independent Study in Global Health 2019
- RIGHTS 362: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2019
- SOCIOL 361: Social Determinants of U.S. Health Disparities 2019
- SOCIOL 880: Special Topics in Sociology 2019
- SOCIOL 255: Sociology of Immigration and Health 2018
- SOCIOL 765S: Proseminar: Topics in Social Stratification 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Islamic Schools: Help or Hindrance to Integration. December 6, 2010 2010
- Muslim Integration in the U.S. and Germany. December 6, 2010 2010
- Gender Differences in Middle Eastern Immigrant Health. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. December 15, 2009 2009
- Healthy Migrants or Just Healthy Men?. New York University. December 15, 2009 2009
- Middle Eastern Americans in Higher Education. National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education. May 26, 2008 2008
- The Values Voter. February 6, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.