Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
OCT 4, 2015
OCT 1, 2013
JUL 22, 2013 Times of India
APR 24, 2013
Awards & Honors
- Richard K. Lublin Distinguished Teaching Award. Duke University. April 2013
- Visiting Artist Grant. Council of the Arts, Ofice of the Provost, Duke University. September 2010
- Major Faculty Collaborative Fund Grant. Provost, Duke University. January 2009
- Mary Duke Biddle Fellowship. Mary Duke Biddle Foundation. September 2008
- Arts and Science Fellowship. Duke University. June 2008
- Joshua Charles Trent Foundation Grant. Trent Foundation. June 2008
- Dance MD Biddle 2017 Proposal awarded by Mary Duke Biddle Foundation 2017
- The Garba Dance and Goddess Worship in Gujarat, India awarded by Mary Duke Biddle Foundation 2007 - 2009
- The Garba Dance and Goddess Worship in Gujarat, India awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 2007 - 2009
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Shah, P. Bhakti Andolana Prerita Natya ane Nrtya Prakaromam Bhaktirasa ane Madhuryabhava = The Concept of Bhaktirasa and Madhurabhava in the Bhakti Genre of Indian Dance-Theatre. B. J. Institue of Learning and Research, 2010.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of World Dance: South Asia and South-east Asia. Edited by P Shah. Routledge, 2006. (Edited Book)
- Shah, P. Bhaktirasa and Physio-spiritual Transcendence in the Devotional Practice of Indian Dance-Theatre (manuscript in progress) (In preparation). .
- Shah, P. Garba Dance: Survival of Ritual Traditions in a Globalized World (In preparation). .
- Shah, P. "“Dance: 1200-1900 CE” Cultural Sociology of West, Central and South Asia." In Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa Encyclopedia. Sage Reference. 2012.
- Shah, P. "Randala Ritual: Women’s Heritage and Identity in Gujarat, India." In Ritual, Heritage and Identity: The Politics of Culture and Performance in a Globalized World, edited by C Brosius and K Polit. New Delhi: Routledge, 2011.
- Shah, P. "Contemporary Indian Dance: New Choreographies in India and the Diaspora by Ketu Katrak. Palgrave, 2011." Theatre Journal 65, no. 3 (October 2013): 444-445. (Review)
- Shah, P. "Performing Migration: the Journeys of Indian Dance in America." Attendance: the Dance Annual of India 15 (2013): 54-61.
- Shah, P. "Physio-Spiritual Transcendence through the Practice of Devotional Dance-Theatre in India." Repertorio: Teatro & Danca, University of Bahia 15, no. 18 (2012): 43-48.
- Shah, P. "Innovative Approaches in Contemporary Kathak Dance: a Choreographic Appreciation." Nartanam, a Quarterly Journal of Indian Dance XI, no. 3 (September 2011): 66-77.
- Shah, P. "Some Issues on Gender Politics in the Bhakti Genre of Dance-Theatre Performance." Samipya Journal of Indology XXV, no. 3-4 (October 2009): 1-33.
- Shah, P. "Negotiating Gender in Contemporary Kathak Dance Choreography." Samipya Journal of Indology XXV, no. 1-2 (April 2008): 1-15.
- Shah, P. "2004 Barbara Stoler Miller Conference." Dance Research Journal 36, no. 2 (December 1, 2004): 119-119. Full Text
- Shah, P. "Barbara Stoler Miller Conference, Columbia University: A Critical Appraisal of Contemporary Indian Dance Scholarship." Dance Research Journal, Special Issue on South Asian dance 36, no. 2 (December 2004): 119-134.
- Shah, P. "State Sponsorship of the Arts in India: the Appropriation of the National and Regional." Dance Chronicle 25, no. 1 (2002): 125-142.
- Shah, P. "State patronage in India: Appropriation of the "regional" and "national"." DANCE CHRONICLE 25, no. 1 (2002): 125-141. Full Text Link to Item
- Shah, P. "Transcending Gender in the Performance of Kathak." Dance Research Journal 30, no. 2 (October 1998): 2-17.
- Shah, P. "Farmayishi Poetics of Kathak: Significance of Reception." UCLA Journal of Dance Ethnology 18 (1994): 1-7.
- Shah, P. "Contesting Pasts, Performing Futures." Edited by S Chowdhry. Southern Asian Institute Newsletter, Columbia University 28: 2-23. (Academic Article)
- Shah, P. "Colonial implications on the abolition of the Devadasi system in South India (In preparation)." Samipya: Journal of Indology .
- Shah, P. "Presentation of Thumri in Kathak Dance (In preparation)." Journal of Ethnomusicology .
Exhibitions, Screenings, & Performances
- Purmina Shah: Performances, 2001 - 2010 | November Dances at Reynolds Theatre, Duke University 2010
- Purmina Shah: Performances, 2001 - 2010 | November Dances at Duke University 2003
- Dashavatar | at Duke University 2003
- Purmina Shah: Performances, 2001 - 2010 | December Dances at Reynolds Theatre, Duke University. 2001
- Purmina Shah: Performances, 2001 - 2010 | at niversity of California, Riverside 2001
- Kathak dance | Asian Indian Culture Show at University of California, Riverside 2001
Artistic Works & Non-Print Media
- Teaching & Mentoring
- DANCE 316S: Postmodernism in Dance, 1950-2000 2018
- DANCE 487S: Capstone Seminar: Research Methods in Dance Studies and Choreographic Performance 2017
- DANCE 490S: Special Topics in Dance 2017
- DANCE 499S: Capstone Seminar: Distinction Project 2017
- AAAS 222: Dance and Religion in Asia and Africa 2016
- DANCE 367: Dance and Religion in Asia and Africa 2016
- ICS 214: Dance and Religion in Asia and Africa 2016
- RELIGION 244: Dance and Religion in Asia and Africa 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Concepts of Shaivism and Vaishnavism in Indian dance and theatre. August 22, 2010 2010
- Bhakti Genre of Dance Theatre. July 1, 2010 2010
- Folk dance forms in Gujarat. January 1, 2010 2010
- Notions of Femininity in the role of the Onnagata in Kabuki Dance Theatre. November 13, 2009 2009
- Notes on fieldwork research. August 22, 2009 2009
- Devadasi Traditions in India and the impact of Colonization. July 16, 2009 2009
- Research Methods in Dance. December 8, 2008 2008
- Fieldwork for Garba Dance Book Project. September 11, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
- External Reviewer for Tenure and Promotion, York University. November 27, 2013 2013
- Reviewer : Czech Society for Science Research funding. November 27, 2013 2013
- Reviewer Theatre Journal. November 27, 2013 2013
- unknown. Paper, "Social Transformation of Garba Dances of Gujarat.”. June 11, 2013 2013
- Chair : Selma Jean Cohen Award Committee, Society of Dance History Scholars. June 1, 2013 2013
- unknown. Panelist, "The Future of Kathak Dance in a Global Context.". April 13, 2013 2013
- unknown. Panel Chair, “ Social Transformation: The Legacy of Pauli Murray.”. March 2, 2013 2013
- unknown. Panel Chair, “Arts as a Means of Social Transformation.”. March 2, 2013 2013
- unknown. Paper, “Dancing with the Goddess: Survival of Traditions.”. March 1, 2013 2013
- Planning Committee, Call for papers and Conference Program Co-coordinator : Across the Threshold: Creativity, Being, Healing. February 28, 2013 - March 3, 2013 2013
- Arms length evaluation : External Evaluation for Tenure and Promotion of faculty, York University. August 24, 2012 2012
- unknown. Keynote address, Contemporary Choreography in Indian Dance. Kalanidhi Dance Festival and Conference.. March 17, 2011 2011
- Reviewer : Asian Women. 2011 2011
- unknown. Odissi Dance Repertory. August 30, 2010 - December 10, 2010 2010
- unknown. Interviewer, Dr. Richard Schechner (New York University). Erasing Borders: Festival of Indian Dance, Indo-American Arts Council and Asia Society,. June 5, 2010 2010
- unknown. Discussant, "Moving Traditions in Indian Dance". June 4, 2010 2010
- Planning Committee, Across the Threshold: Creativity, Being, Healing Symposium. April 3, 2010 2010
- unknown. Planning Committee, Across the Threshold: Creativity, Being and Healing Symposium. April 3, 2010 2010
- unknown. Paper presentation, "Kathak Dance: Practice, Philosophy and Identity". October 23, 2009 - October 25, 2009 2009
- unknown. Moderator, The State of Contemporary Dance in India and the Diaspora. September 27, 2009 2009
- unknown. Panelist, Digital Asia: Video Documentary. March 26, 2009 2009
- unknown. Panel Chair, Actor/Performer as Shaman.. March 19, 2009 2009
- Planning Committee, Call for Papers and Conference Program Co-coordinator : Across the Threshold: Creativity, Being, Healing Conference. March 1, 2009 2009
- Planning Committee : Across the Threshold: Creativity, Being, Healing Symposium. December 30, 2008 2008
- Chair, Nominations Committee : Society of Dance History Scholars. November 27, 2008 2008
- unknown. Panel Chair, Ethnographic Issues in Dance.. June 23, 2008 2008
- unknown. Moderator, Across the Threshold: Exploring Transformative Paths to Creativity and Healing. February 23, 2008 2008
- Institutional Membership : Association for Asian Studies. 2008 2008
- Reviewer : American Ethnologist. 2008 2008
- Reviewer : Dance Chronicle. 2008 2008
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.