Composite lymphoid neoplasm of B-cell and T-cell origins: a pathologic study of 14 cases.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

We retrospectively analyzed 14 composite lymphoma/lymphoid neoplasms (CL) of B-cell/T-cell origins. These consisted of a spectrum of T-cell neoplasms in combination with different B-cell lymphomas/leukemias, with peripheral T-cell lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma encountered most frequently for each respective neoplastic lineage. Histopathologic evaluation demonstrated 6 patterns of neoplastic distribution, including zone, inverted zone, diffuse mixed, regional/nodular mixed, compartmental, and segmental distributions. Four of 9 cases studied were positive for Epstein-Barr virus, all with a mixed pattern, suggesting that this pattern may predict an Epstein-Barr virus association. None of 14 cases was considered CL at the initial histologic evaluation. Only 6 (46.2%) of 13 cases had coexisting B-cell/T-cell neoplasms highlighted by immunohistochemistry, and the other 7 (53.8%) cases had 1 or both of the neoplastic components hidden. Flow cytometry detected both neoplastic lineages in 4 (44%) but failed to detect a clonal B-cell population in 4 (44%) and missed neoplastic T cells in 1 (11.1%) of 9 cases. Molecular testing detected clonal rearrangement of IGH/K gene in 11 (84.6%) of 13 cases, and clonal rearrangement of the TCRG/B gene in 13 (92.9%) of 14 cases, including 8 with identical amplicons detected in separate samples. CLs of B-cell/T-cell origin are heterogeneous in subtype combination and topographic pattern, often with one of the components histologically occult. A multidisciplinary approach is emphasized to establish a definitive diagnosis in these challenging cases.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Wang, E; Papavassiliou, P; Wang, AR; Louissaint, A; Wang, J; Hutchinson, CB; Huang, Q; Reddi, D; Wei, Q; Sebastian, S; Rehder, C; Brynes, R; Siddiqi, I

Published Date

  • April 2014

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 45 / 4

Start / End Page

  • 768 - 784

PubMed ID

  • 24565206

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1532-8392

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/j.humpath.2013.11.008


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States