An outbreak of anthrax meningoencephalitis.

Published

Journal Article

We report a common-source outbreak of anthrax meningoencephalitis in Chittoor district in Andhra Pradesh, southern India, in October 1990. The source of infection was the carcass of a sheep. Of 5 persons who skinned and cut up its meat for human consumption, 4 developed anthrax meningoencephalitis and one a malignant pustule. Another person who wrapped the meat in a cloth and carried it home on his head developed a malignant pustule on his forehead and also meningoencephalitis. All subjects with anthrax meningoencephalitis died, but the one with only a malignant pustule recovered. A large number of people who cooked or ate the cooked meat of the dead sheep remained well. The medical, public health and veterinary authorities were alerted and sheep, goats and cattle in the locality were immunized with anthrax vaccine. Although rules against consumption of meat of dead animals exist, their violation shows a lack of public awareness. Health education should be undertaken to correct this situation.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • George, S; Mathai, D; Balraj, V; Lalitha, MK; John, TJ

Published Date

  • March 1994

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 88 / 2

Start / End Page

  • 206 - 207

PubMed ID

  • 8036676

Pubmed Central ID

  • 8036676

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0035-9203

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/0035-9203(94)90298-4

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • England