Preoperative Imaging Findings and Cost in Adults With Postlingual Deafness Prior to Cochlear Implant.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

OBJECTIVE: To assess the imaging findings of computed topography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in adults with postlingual deafness and otherwise normal clinical history and physical exam. Additionally, determine the influence and implications of these findings with respect to surgical outcomes and cost. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective case review. SETTING: Tertiary referral hospital. PATIENTS: Adults with postlingual deafness with no history of prior ear surgery, chronic ear disease, meningitis, otosclerosis, or head trauma. INTERVENTIONS: Cochlear implantation of 1 or both ears, with preoperative CT, MRI, or both. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Imaging results were classified as normal, abnormal affecting surgery, incidental requiring follow-up, or incidental not requiring follow-up. Average cost of each imaging modality was determined. RESULTS: A total of 128 patients met the inclusion criteria. Of these, 82 (64.1%) had both CT and MRI performed, 33 (25.8%) had CT, and 13 (10.2%) had MRI prior to cochlear implant (CI). Scans were normal in 125 (97.7%) of cases. Of the remaining 3 (2.3%) patients, there were incidental findings requiring follow-up. All implants were placed successfully, and in no instance did the results of the scan influence the surgery. The average cost of imaging per patient was $4707. CONCLUSION: In adults with postlingual deafness with an otherwise benign clinical history, CT and MRI are unlikely to affect or preclude surgery. With new MRI safe cochlear implants, imaging can be performed safely postoperatively if needed.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Brown, CS; Choi, KJ; Kaylie, DM

Published Date

  • April 2018

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 127 / 4

Start / End Page

  • 270 - 274

PubMed ID

  • 29478327

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1943-572X

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1177/0003489418759114


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States