Internal hernia after gastrectomy for cancer with Roux-Y reconstruction.

Published

Journal Article

BACKGROUND: The incidence of internal hernia (IH) after gastrectomy for cancer with Roux-Y reconstruction has not been well-defined. This study aimed to define the true incidence of IH after gastrectomy for cancer with Roux-Y reconstruction; to describe the presentation, timing, and management of this complication; and to identify factors associated with IH. METHODS: Clinical and follow-up information were reviewed for all patients who underwent open or laparoscopic gastrectomy with Roux-Y reconstruction for cancer at a single institution from January 2005 through April 2012. RESULTS: A total of 298 patients underwent gastrectomy for cancer with Roux-Y reconstruction. At a median follow-up of 22.4 months, we identified 16 patients (5%) who underwent subsequent reoperation for IH. No patient who had closure of mesenteric defects developed IH. IH occurred in 1 of 99 patients after open subtotal gastrectomy (1%), 10 of 165 after open total gastrectomy (6%), 1 of 16 after laparoscopic subtotal gastrectomy (6%), and 4 of 18 after laparoscopic total gastrectomy (22%; P < .03). On univariate analysis, younger age, lower body mass index, no previous abdominal surgery, laparoscopic approach, and total gastrectomy were associated with IH. IH tended to occur early after laparoscopic gastrectomy (median, 7 months) and late after open gastrectomy (median, 24 months). CONCLUSION: IH after gastrectomy with Roux-Y reconstruction is likely underreported. A high degree of suspicion for IH should be maintained in patients presenting with emesis or abdominal pain after gastrectomy with Roux-Y reconstruction, especially after laparoscopic or total gastrectomy. Closure of mesenteric defects after laparoscopic and total gastrectomy should be considered when technically feasible.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Kelly, KJ; Allen, PJ; Brennan, MF; Gollub, MJ; Coit, DG; Strong, VE

Published Date

  • August 2013

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 154 / 2

Start / End Page

  • 305 - 311

PubMed ID

  • 23889956

Pubmed Central ID

  • 23889956

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1532-7361

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/j.surg.2013.04.027

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States