Fibroblast growth factor 23 in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis.

Journal Article (Journal Article;Multicenter Study)

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) is an independent risk factor for mortality in patients with ESRD. Before FGF23 testing can be integrated into clinical practice of ESRD, further understanding of its determinants is needed. DESIGN, SETTING, PARTICIPANTS, & MEASUREMENTS: In a study of 67 adults undergoing peritoneal dialysis, we tested the hypothesis that longer dialysis vintage and lower residual renal function and renal phosphate clearance are associated with higher FGF23. We also compared the monthly variability of FGF23 versus parathyroid hormone (PTH) and serum phosphate. RESULTS: In unadjusted analyses, FGF23 correlated with serum phosphate (r = 0.66, P < 0.001), residual renal function (r = -0.37, P = 0.002), dialysis vintage (r = 0.31, P = 0.01), and renal phosphate clearance (r = -0.38, P = 0.008). In adjusted analyses, absence of residual renal function and greater dialysis vintage associated with higher FGF23, independent of demographics, laboratory values, peritoneal dialysis modality and adequacy, and treatment with vitamin D analogs and phosphate binders. Urinary and dialysate FGF23 clearances were minimal. In three serial monthly measurements, within-subject variability accounted for only 10% of total FGF23 variability compared with 50% for PTH and 60% for serum phosphate. CONCLUSIONS: Increased serum phosphate, loss of residual renal function, longer dialysis vintage, and lower renal phosphate clearance are associated with elevated FGF23 levels in ESRD patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis. FGF23 may be a more stable marker of phosphate metabolism in ESRD than PTH or serum phosphate.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Isakova, T; Xie, H; Barchi-Chung, A; Vargas, G; Sowden, N; Houston, J; Wahl, P; Lundquist, A; Epstein, M; Smith, K; Contreras, G; Ortega, L; Lenz, O; Briones, P; Egbert, P; Ikizler, TA; Jueppner, H; Wolf, M

Published Date

  • November 2011

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 6 / 11

Start / End Page

  • 2688 - 2695

PubMed ID

  • 21903990

Pubmed Central ID

  • PMC3206004

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1555-905X

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.2215/CJN.04290511


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States