Novel Criteria for the Observe-Zone of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT Algorithm.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

BACKGROUND: The non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) guidelines of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) recommend a 3h cardiac troponin determination in patients triaged to the observe-zone of the ESC 0/1h-algorithm; however, no specific cutoff for further triage is endorsed. Recently, a specific cutoff for 0/3h high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T (hs-cTnT) change (7 ng/L) was proposed, warranting external validation. METHODS: Patients presenting with acute chest discomfort to the emergency department were prospectively enrolled into an international multicenter diagnostic study. Final diagnoses were centrally adjudicated by 2 independent cardiologists applying the fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction, on the basis of complete cardiac workup, cardiac imaging, and serial hs-cTnT. Hs-cTnT concentrations were measured at presentation, after 1 hour, and after 3 hours. The objective was to externally validate the proposed cutoff, and if necessary, derive and internally as well as externally validate novel 0/3h-criteria for the observe-zone of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT-algorithm in an independent multicenter cohort. RESULTS: Among 2076 eligible patients, application of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT-algorithm triaged 1512 patients (72.8%) to either rule out or rule in NSTEMI, leaving 564 patients (27.2%) in the observe-zone (adjudicated NSTEMI prevalence, 120/564 patients, 21.3%). The suggested 0/3h-hs-cTnT-change of <7 ng/L triaged 517 patients (91.7%) toward rule-out, resulting in a sensitivity of 33.3% (95% CI, 25.5-42.2), missing 80 patients with NSTEMI, and ≥7 ng/L triaged 47 patients toward rule-in (8.3%), resulting in a specificity of 98.4% (95% CI, 96.8-99.2). Novel derived 0/3h-criteria for the observe-zone patients ruled out NSTEMI with a 3h hs-cTnT concentration <15 ng/L and a 0/3h-hs-cTnT absolute change <4 ng/L, triaging 138 patients (25%) toward rule-out, resulting in a sensitivity of 99.2% (95% CI, 96.0-99.9), missing 1 patient with NSTEMI. A 0/3h-hs-cTnT absolute change ≥6 ng/L triaged 63 patients (11.2%) toward rule-in, resulting in a specificity of 98% (95% CI, 96.2-98.9) Thereby, the novel 0/3h-criteria reduced the number of patients in the observe zone by 36%s and the number of type 1 myocardial infarction by 50%. Findings were confirmed in both internal and external validation. CONCLUSIONS: A combination of a 3h-hs-cTnT concentration (<15 ng/L) and a 0/3h absolute change (<4 ng/L) is necessary to safely rule out NSTEMI in patients remaining in the observe-zone of the ESC 0/1h-hs-cTnT-algorithm. Registration: URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov; Unique identifier: NCT00470587.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Lopez-Ayala, P; Nestelberger, T; Boeddinghaus, J; Koechlin, L; Ratmann, PD; Strebel, I; Gehrke, J; Meier, S; Walter, J; Rubini Gimenez, M; Mutschler, E; Miró, Ò; López-Barbeito, B; Martín-Sánchez, FJ; Rodríguez-Adrada, E; Keller, DI; Newby, LK; Twerenbold, R; Giannitsis, E; Lindahl, B; Mueller, C; APACE and TRAPID-AMI Investigators†,

Published Date

  • September 7, 2021

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 144 / 10

Start / End Page

  • 773 - 787

PubMed ID

  • 34376064

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1524-4539

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.052982

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States