The mammalian beta-adrenergic receptor: structural and functional characterization of the carbohydrate moiety.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

Mammalian beta-adrenergic receptors are glycoproteins consisting of a single polypeptide chain of Mr approximately 64,000. Treatment of purified [125I]-labeled hamster lung beta-adrenergic receptor with alpha-mannosidase reveals two discrete populations of receptor consistent with previous studies using membrane bound photoaffinity-labeled receptor. Treatment of the [125I]-labeled receptor with endoglycosidase F results initially in the formation of a Mr approximately 57,000 peptide which is further converted to Mr approximately 49,000 suggesting that there are two N-linked carbohydrate chains per receptor polypeptide. Exoglycosidase treatments and lectin chromatography of the [125I]-labeled receptor reveals the presence of two complex type carbohydrate chains (approximately 10% of which are fucosylated) on approximately 45% of the receptors. The remaining approximately 55% of the receptors appear to contain a mixture of carbohydrate chains (possibly high mannose, hybrid and complex type chains). Deglycosylation of the receptor by endoglycosidase F does not appear to alter the binding affinity of the receptor for a variety of beta-adrenergic agonists and antagonists. Moreover, the ability of control, alpha-mannosidase sensitive or insensitive (fractionated on immobilized wheat germ agglutinin) and neuraminidase, alpha-mannosidase or endoglycosidase F treated receptors to interact with the stimulatory guanine nucleotide regulatory protein in a reconstituted system were virtually identical. The deglycosylated receptor was also unaltered in its heat lability as well as its susceptibility to a variety of proteases. These findings demonstrate that the carbohydrate portion of the beta-receptor does not contribute to determining either its specificity of ligand binding or coupling to the adenylate cyclase system.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Benovic, JL; Staniszewski, C; Cerione, RA; Codina, J; Lefkowitz, RJ; Caron, MG

Published Date

  • 1987

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 7 / 1-4

Start / End Page

  • 257 - 281

PubMed ID

  • 2887651

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0197-5110

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.3109/10799898709054989


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States