The effect of povidone-iodine solutions used as surgical preparations on the bacterial flora of the skin.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

One hundred fifty hospitalized patients undergoing elective surgery were enrolled in an open study designed to assess the bactericidal and clinical efficacy of a preoperative skin preparation procedure--application of 7.5% povidone-iodine surgical scrub followed by 10% povidone-iodine antiseptic solution. Of 99 patients with bacterial colonization of the skin prior to surgery, 84 patients (85%) had no detectable levels of bacteria at completion of surgery; bacterial flora persisted after surgery in the remaining 15 patients (15%). The difference between pre- and post-surgical bacterial colonization was statistically significant (p = 0.004). Clinically, none of the 146 patients evaluable for analysis of efficacy developed infections at the incision or suture site and there were no incidents of skin irritation at the surgical site during the postoperative observation period. Thus, preoperative cleansing with povidone-iodine surgical scrub followed by povidone-iodine antiseptic solution is an effective, non-irritating bactericidal regimen for use at surgical incision sites.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Georgiade, GS; Georgiade, NG; Grandy, RP; Goldenheim, PD

Published Date

  • January 1990

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 7 / 1

Start / End Page

  • 1 - 8

PubMed ID

  • 10149181

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0741-238X


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States