Etoposide, ifosfamide and cisplatin (VIP) plus concurrent radiation therapy for previously untreated limited small cell lung cancer (SCLC): a Hoosier Oncology Group (HOG) phase II study.

Journal Article (Clinical Trial;Journal Article)

Results of a previous Hoosier Oncology Group (HOG) study revealed a small survival advantage for VIP versus etoposide and cisplatin (EP) for patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer (SCLC). This phase II study evaluated VIP with concurrent thoracic radiotherapy in patients with limited stage SCLC. Eligible patients had a Karnofsky Performance Score > or = 50, no prior chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and adequate end organ function. Fifty-three patients were entered. Radiotherapy was given as a daily fraction of 1.8 Gy, five fractions per week for 5 weeks for a total dose of 45 Gy, beginning on day 1 of VIP. The first 13 patients received etoposide 75 mg/m(2), cisplatin 20 mg/m(2), and ifosfamide 1.2 g/m(2) on days 1-4 with Mesna every 3 weeks for four cycles unless the patient demonstrated disease progression or undue toxicity. Excessive toxicity was seen in the first 13 patients; therefore, VIP was modified by deleting the 4th day for all subsequent patients. The major toxicity in this trial was myelosuppression. Grade 3/4 anemia, granulocytopenia, and thrombocytopenia occurred in 38, 75, and 34% of patients, respectively. There were four treatment-related deaths [three patients (23%) on the 4-day regimen and one patient (2.5%) on the 3-day regimen]. Twenty-five patients (47.2%) achieved a CR and 11 patients (20.8%) had a PR for an overall response rate of 68%. Minimum follow up for all patients is 5 years. Overall, 46 of 53 patients have died. Median, 1, 2 and 5 year overall survival for the entire group is 15.1 months, 69.8, 35.9, and 13.2, respectively. The results of this phase II trial of VIP with concurrent early thoracic radiotherapy failed to demonstrate a superior response rate over other series utilizing EP. In addition, treatment-related morbidity and mortality appears to be unacceptably high with the VIP regimen.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Hanna, N; Ansari, R; Fisher, W; Shen, J; Jung, SH; Sandler, A

Published Date

  • March 2002

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 35 / 3

Start / End Page

  • 293 - 297

PubMed ID

  • 11844604

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0169-5002

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/s0169-5002(01)00429-9


  • eng

Conference Location

  • Ireland