A randomized trial of recombinant human interleukin-11 following autologous bone marrow transplantation with peripheral blood progenitor cell support in patients with breast cancer.

Published

Journal Article

This study assessed the safety and efficacy of recombinant human interleukin (rhIL)-11 in decreasing platelet transfusion requirements in patients with breast cancer who were undergoing autologous bone marrow transplantation (ABMT) with peripheral blood progenitor cell (PBPC) support. After high-dose therapy with cyclophosphamide, cisplatin, and carmustine, 80 patients were randomized to one of three treatment groups: placebo (26), 25 microg/kg of rhIL-11 (28), and 50 microg/kg of rhIL-11 (26). Of those randomized, 75 (94%) received at least one dose of the masked study drug and the remaining 5 (6%) withdrew consent before study drug administration. In the placebo group, each patient received an average 12.4 (+/-10.2) platelet transfusions vs. 9.2 (+/-5.0) in the 25-microg/kg rhIL-11 group (p = 0.17) and 9.9 (+/-3.5) in the 50-microg/kg rhIL-11 group (p = 0.34). There was no statistically significant difference between the rhIL-11 groups and the placebo group in the median number of days to platelet recovery. Neutrophil and red blood cell recovery were similar for all treatment groups. The imbalance in the number of patients already alloimmunized at study entry in the rhIL-11 groups (12) and in the placebo group (1) may have confounded the primary efficacy assessment. Most adverse events were related to the high-dose chemotherapy. Generally mild edema and minor conjunctival bleeding (grades 1 or 2) were statistically associated with rhIL-11 administration (p < 0.04). There was no association between rhIL-11 and the occurrence of atrial arrhythmias, although there was a suggestion of an association with rhIL-11, 5 of 50 cases vs. 1 of 25 in the placebo group. Two cardiovascular events, tachycardia and hypotension (grade 1 or 2), occurred in the 50-microg/kg rhIL-11 group. The number of patients who discontinued study drug dosing because of an adverse event was distributed across all treatment groups. In summary, rhIL-11 was safe and well tolerated in this study. The results did not demonstrate that rhIL-11 treatment significantly decreased platelet transfusion requirements after high-dose chemotherapy with ABMT and PBPC support.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Vredenburgh, JJ; Hussein, A; Fisher, D; Hoffman, M; Elkordy, M; Rubin, P; Gilbert, C; Kaye, JA; Dykstra, K; Loewy, J; Peters, WP

Published Date

  • January 1, 1998

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 4 / 3

Start / End Page

  • 134 - 141

PubMed ID

  • 9923411

Pubmed Central ID

  • 9923411

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 1083-8791

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1053/bbmt.1998.v4.pm9923411

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States