A computerized bibliographic service for the blind and physically handicapped

Published

Journal Article (Academic article)

In 1897, as a special service to the blind, the Library of Congress established a small reading room stocked with approximately 500 books and music items in raised type. In 1974, a comprehensive internal study was begun by the Library of Congress Division for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (DBPH) in preparation for the automation of a library program that circulated approximately 12 million tapes, records, machines, and brailled books in that year. This paper is the description of a three-year plan and a system study designed to produce a computerized union catalogue and an in-process file for both DBPH and a network of almost 200 libraries throughout the nation

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Friedman, MH

Published Date

  • 1975

Published In

  • J. Libr. Autom. (Usa)

Volume / Issue

  • 8 / 4

Start / End Page

  • 322 - 335