A phase II study of estramustine, docetaxel, and carboplatin with granulocyte-colony-stimulating factor support in patients with hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma: Cancer and Leukemia Group B 99813.

Published

Journal Article

BACKGROUND: The authors determined the safety and efficacy of estramustine, docetaxel, and carboplatin with granulocyte-colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) support in patients with hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma. METHODS: In the current multicenter, cooperative group study, patients with advanced prostate carcinoma whose disease progressed despite androgen deprivation therapy were treated with a combination of oral estramustine(240 mg three times per day for 5 days), 70 mg/m2 of docetaxel, and carboplatin at a dose of (area under the curve) 5. G-CSF was used to minimize the neutropenia associated with this regimen. Each cycle was repeated every 21 days. RESULTS: Forty patients were treated with a median of 7 cycles of therapy. Of the 34 evaluable patients with elevated pretreatment prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels, 23 (68%) had a > or = 50% decline in PSA and 20 (59%) had a > or = 75% decline. Twenty-one patients had measurable disease, with 1 complete response (5%) and 10 partial responses (47%), for an overall measurable response rate of 52% (95% confidence interval [95% CI], 30-74%). The most common Grade 3 or Grade 4 toxicities (according to the National Cancer Institute Common Toxicity Criteria) included neutropenia in 23% of patients, thrombocytopenia in 13%, and fatigue in 13%. Febrile neutropenia occurred in 1 patient (3%). The overall median time to disease progression was 8.1 months (95% CI, 6-10 months) and the overall survival period was 19 months (95% CI, 13-26 months). CONCLUSIONS: The combination of estramustine, docetaxel, and carboplatin with G-CSF support was found to have significant clinical activity with an acceptable toxicity profile in patients with progressive hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Oh, WK; Halabi, S; Kelly, WK; Werner, C; Godley, PA; Vogelzang, NJ; Small, EJ; Cancer and Leukemia Group B 99813,

Published Date

  • December 15, 2003

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 98 / 12

Start / End Page

  • 2592 - 2598

PubMed ID

  • 14669278

Pubmed Central ID

  • 14669278

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0008-543X

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1002/cncr.11829

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States