Otologic surgery following ear trauma.

Published

Journal Article

OBJECTIVES: To investigate common presentations and expected outcomes in patients with traumatically induced otologic dysfunction. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective case review of patients who underwent otologic surgery for sequelae of otologic trauma over a 28-year period. Patients were stratified into major and minor trauma cohorts. Major trauma was designated as closed head injury with or without temporal bone fracture; lower-energy insults comprised the minor trauma group. Preoperative and postoperative audiograms were obtained and correlated with extent of injury. SETTING: Tertiary referral center. RESULTS: Major trauma accounted for 44.9 percent of all patients. The remaining 55.1 percent suffered minor trauma, of which simple traumatic tympanic membrane perforation was the most common insult (33.6%). Two hundred twenty-seven cases were performed on 214 patients. Pure tone averages improved a significant 20.8 dB to essentially normal levels postoperatively. CONCLUSION: Regardless of injury extent, surgical rehabilitation of conductive losses attains excellent hearing results that surpass those historically reported for the chronic ear population.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Conoyer, JM; Kaylie, DM; Jackson, CG

Published Date

  • November 2007

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 137 / 5

Start / End Page

  • 757 - 761

PubMed ID

  • 17967641

Pubmed Central ID

  • 17967641

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0194-5998

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/j.otohns.2007.07.017

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • England