MGMT immunoexpression in silent subtype 3 pituitary adenomas: possible therapeutic implications.

Published

Journal Article

The objective of the study was to assess O(6)-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) immunoreactivity in pituitary adenomas of silent subtype 3 as a potential indicator of temozolomide susceptibility. The Mayo Clinic Anatomic Pathology Database was searched for all cases of silent subtype 3 pituitary adenoma. Each of the 23 cases identified had been confirmed on the basis of histology, immunohistochemical staining for pituitary hormones, as well as on diagnostic ultrastructural criteria. Unstained microscopic sections were immunostained for MGMT and were semiquantitatively assessed. Of the 23 tumors examined, 18 (78%) showed no MGMT immunoreactivity. The remaining five (22%) showed immunoreactivity in < or =50% of tumor cells. Among eight of the most clinically aggressive tumors in this study, six (75%) lacked MGMT immunoreactivity. The observed lack of or low-level expression of MGMT by this distinctive, clinically aggressive form of pituitary adenoma suggests potential efficacy of treatment with the alkylating agent temozolomide.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Fealey, ME; Scheithauer, BW; Horvath, E; Erickson, D; Kovacs, K; McLendon, R; Lloyd, RV

Published Date

  • September 2010

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 21 / 3

Start / End Page

  • 161 - 165

PubMed ID

  • 20480258

Pubmed Central ID

  • 20480258

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1559-0097

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1007/s12022-010-9120-0

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States