Culprit-only or multivessel revascularization in patients with acute coronary syndromes: an American College of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Database Registry report.

Journal Article (Journal Article;Multicenter Study)

BACKGROUND: Multivessel (MV) coronary artery disease (CAD) frequently exists in patients presenting with non-ST-elevation (NSTE) acute coronary syndromes (ACSs). Although an early invasive strategy improves outcome in these patients, there are limited data on culprit-only, single-vessel (SV) percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) or MV PCI in the NSTE ACS setting. METHODS: To identify the predictors of SV versus MV PCI in patients with ACS and compare their outcomes up to hospital discharge, we analyzed the records of 105,866 patients undergoing PCI with ACS and MV CAD from 402 centers reported to the American College of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Database Registry between 2000 and 2004. Demographic, clinical, and angiographic characteristics of the patients were used to create a propensity score for SV versus MV PCI. RESULTS: Single-vessel PCI was performed in 68% (72,048 patients), whereas the remaining 32% (33,818 patients) had MV PCI. Factors independently associated with the performance of SV versus MV PCI were presentation with NSTE infarction (vs unstable angina), adjusted odds ratio (OR) of 1.29 (95% CI 1.24-1.34); being older, adjusted OR of 1.09 (95% CI 1.08-1.11) per decade; and presence of total occlusion, adjusted OR of 1.25 (95% CI 1.16-1.36). The c-statistic for the model was 0.70. Procedural success was achieved in 91% of SV PCI and 88% of MV PCI (P < .001). Inhospital mortality was 1.3% and 1.2%, respectively (P = .09; adjusted OR 1.11 [95% CI 0.97-1.27], P = .13). Rates of morbidity, such as bleeding, development of renal failure, or nonfatal cardiogenic shock, were similar for both groups. CONCLUSIONS: In patients with MV CAD, presenting with ACS and selected for PCI, performance of MV PCI appears to be associated with at least as successful an inhospital outcome as SV PCI.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Brener, SJ; Milford-Beland, S; Roe, MT; Bhatt, DL; Weintraub, WS; Brindis, RG; American College of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Database Registry,

Published Date

  • January 2008

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 155 / 1

Start / End Page

  • 140 - 146

PubMed ID

  • 18082505

Pubmed Central ID

  • 18082505

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1097-6744

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/j.ahj.2007.09.007


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States