Ovarian granulosa cell tumors with bizarre nuclei: An immunhistochemical analysis


Journal Article

Granulosa cell tumors with bizarre nuclei (GCT-BN) are rare lesions with a prognosis apparently similar to that of conventional granulosa cell tumors (GCT-OS). The immunohistochemical features of GCT-BN have not been described, and the exact nature of the bizarre nuclei (BN) is unclear. Thirteen GCT-BN were studied with antibodies to cytokeratin, vimentin, epithelial membrane antigen, muscle-specific actin, alpha smooth muscle actin, desmin, and S-100 protein. Six cases were also examined by fluorescence in situ hybridization for trisomy 12, a nonrandom chromosomal aberration found in a proportion of ovarian sex-cord stromal tumors. Histologically, 12 tumors (86%) contained BN areas interspersed with large areas of GCT-NOS. The remaining tumor contained only microscopic foci of GCT-NOS. Immunohistochemically, the tumors stained for vimentin (13 tumors), S-100 protein (11 tumors), muscle-specific actin (10 tumors), cytokeratin (eight tumors), alpha smooth muscle actin (eight tumors), and desmin (one tumor), but none stained for epithelial membrane antigen. Immunostaining results for the BN and GCT-NOS areas were concordant in eight (73%) of the 11 tumors in which both areas could be independently assessed. The remaining three tumors (27%) showed discordant results for only one of the eight markers used. In five patients, trisomy 12 was detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization in areas of BN but not in areas of GCT-NOS present in the same tumor. Trisomy 12 was also present in another BN tumor in which the foci of GCT-NOS were too small to be evaluated. We conclude that within GCT-BN, areas with BN are immunohistochemically similar to areas of GCT-NOS present in the same tumor. The finding of trisomy 12 in areas with BN but not GCT-NOS in the same tumor, however, suggests that cells with BN represent a genetically distinct clone of tumor cells arising within GCT-NOS.

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Gaffey, MJ; Frierson, HF; Iezzoni, JC; Mills, SE; Clement, PB; Gersel, DJ; Shashi, V; Von Kap-Herr, C; Young, RH

Published Date

  • April 22, 1996

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 9 / 3

Start / End Page

  • 308 - 315

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0893-3952

Citation Source

  • Scopus