The role of central nervous system functioning and family functioning in behavioral problems of children with myelodysplasia.

Published

Journal Article

This study examined the frequency and type of behavioral problems in 50 children with myelodysplasia and investigated the hypothesized roles of central nervous system (CNS) functioning and family functioning in behavioral problem outcome. The findings revealed that 50% of the children with myelodysplasia had a behavioral problem pattern and another 2% had low social skills, yielding an overall problem pattern rate of 52%. There was a high frequency of internalizing behavior problem profiles and a very low frequency of externalizing behavior problem profiles. Although there was little support for the hypothesized mediating role of central nervous system functioning, considerable support was provided for the association of family functioning and behavior problem outcomes.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Thompson, RJ; Kronenberger, WG; Johnson, DF; Whiting, K

Published Date

  • October 1989

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 10 / 5

Start / End Page

  • 242 - 248

PubMed ID

  • 2808717

Pubmed Central ID

  • 2808717

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1536-7312

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0196-206X

Language

  • eng