Type A botulism from commercially canned beef stew.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

Two of three persons who ate lunch together became ill with symptoms characteristic of botulism. One died before botulism was suspected and before specimens could be collected for laboratory testing, but a serum specimen from the other patient, who survived, yielded botulinal toxin, type A. The third person remained asymptomatic, but Clostridium botulinum type A was cultured from his stool. The three persons had shared two canned foods: home-canned green beans and commercially canned beef stew. The green beans were initially assumed to be the cause of the outbreak. However, the empty stew can was recovered from the garbage, and washings from the can yielded C botulinum, type A, and its toxin.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Blake, PA; Horwitz, MA; Hopkins, L; Lombard, GL; McCroan, JE; Prucha, JC; Merson, MH

Published Date

  • January 1977

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 70 / 1

Start / End Page

  • 5 - 7

PubMed ID

  • 320672

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0038-4348

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1097/00007611-197701000-00004


  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States