Baseline characteristics and therapeutic goals in the New Approaches to Coronary Intervention (NACI) registry.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

BACKGROUND: The New Approaches to Coronary Intervention (NACI) voluntary registry was designed to study the use, safety, and efficacy of new percutaneous transluminal interventional devices including directional coronary atherectomy, the transluminal extraction catheter, the rotablator, the Palmaz-Schatz stent, the Gianturco-Roubin stent, the Advanced Interventional Systems (AIS) laser, and the spectranetics laser. METHODS: To date, more than 3800 consecutive patients treated for the first time with a new device at 41 centers have been entered into the registry. Complete detailed information about the patient, lesions, device characteristics, reasons for device selection, and procedural data, such as adjunctive use of conventional balloon angioplasty (PTCA), was available for the first 2835 patients. RESULTS: The registry shows that 88% of the 3233 attempts with a new device were intended as a definitive treatment of target lesions, frequently in combination with adjunctive PTCA. The remaining 12% of attempts with a new device were unplanned, prompted by unexpected complications, unsuccessful attempts, or suboptimal results with PTCA. Although there was some overlap in the indications for selecting a given interventional device, the variation from device to device was sufficiently large to caution users against any direct comparison of either safety or efficacy between devices without careful attention to the differences in baseline patient and lesion characteristics, treatment plans, and the circumstances of device use. CONCLUSION: This report provides the first comprehensive overview of how new interventional devices are currently being used in the treatment of coronary artery lesions at the 41 centers participating in the NACI registry.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Detre, KM; Baim, D; Buchbinder, M; Desvigne-Nickens, P; Fishman, NW; Hinohara, T; Kennard, ED; Litvack, F; Popma, J; Robertson, T

Published Date

  • November 1993

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 4 / 11

Start / End Page

  • 1013 - 1022

PubMed ID

  • 8173707

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0954-6928

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1097/00019501-199311000-00010


  • eng

Conference Location

  • England