David Solomon Orenstein
17205 Rose Garden Ln.
Durham, NC 27707
Duke University, Durham, NC Sept. 2014-Present
Doctor of Philosophy: Religion; Field of Study: History of Judaism; Minors: American Religion, Political Science
Certificates: Middle East Studies, College Teaching, Writing in the Disciplines
Dissertation: A Contemporary Analysis of Shifting Contours of Jewish and Christian Identities
Master of Arts: Religious Studies Apr. 2017
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA Sept. 2009-May 2011
Master of Arts: Jewish Professional Leadership, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies
Thesis: The Views of Rabbi Moses Feinstein, Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, and Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik on
Indiana University Hutton Honors College (with highest distinction), Bloomington, IN Sept. 2006-May 2009
Bachelor of Arts: Majors: Jewish Studies, Psychology; Minors: Hebrew, Religious Studies
Dean’s List: Fall 2006-Spring 2009
Duke University, Preceptor/Teaching Assistant Durham, NC Sept. 2015-Present
- Lead discussion sections and assess students
Duke University, Cataloguer for Judaica and Hebraica Collections Durham, NC May 2016-May 2017
- Catalogued books and other pieces of writing
Duke University, Research Assistant Durham, NC Sept. 2014-May 2015
- Helped a professor with her research
Jewish Religious School, Course Instructor/Substitute Teacher West Lafayette, IN Oct. 2011-May 2014
- Developed curriculum and taught high school, middle school, and elementary school students _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Association for Jewish Studies (AJS)
- The Society of Jewish Ethics (SJE)
- Association for the Study of the Middle East and Africa (ASMEA)
- North American Levinas Society (NALS) ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Rooting Christian Zionism in Scriptural and Scholarly Soil: An American Christian Response to Christian Anti-Zionism. To be included in projected volume of Indiana University’s Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism’s Antisemitism in Today’s America: Manifestations, Causes, and Consequences Conference proceedings.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Jesus as Mussar Teacher: The Refiguration of Messiah as Moralist among Jews. Under consideration for inclusion in The Journal of Jewish Ethics.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Rooting Christian Zionism in Scriptural and Scholarly Soil: An American Christian Response to Christian Anti-Zionism. To be presented at Indiana University’s Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism’s Antisemitism in Today’s America: Manifestations, Causes, and Consequences Conference, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Mainline Mimesis, Evangelical Emulation, & Shabbat. To be presented at The Kenan Institute for Ethics North Carolina Jewish Studies Seminar at Duke University, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Psalm 89 and Descriptions of the King in the Hebrew Bible and New Testament. Presented at The South Philadelphia Shtiebel, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Invited to deliver response to panel on Jewish Barthianism as Dialectic Ethics in Modern Jewish Neo-Orthodox Thought and A Chosen Love: Troubling Kierkegaard’s Neighbor Love with Wyschogrod’s Theology of Election. Presented at The Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2021) Psalm 80 and Biblical Metaphors. Presented at The South Philadelphia Shtiebel, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2020) Psalm 73 and Jewish-Christian Relations: Divine Personhood, Final Destinies, and Eschatological Redemption. Presented at The South Philadelphia Shtiebel, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2020) Reclaiming and Appropriating the Figure of Jesus in Contemporary Israeli Cinema. Presented at the annual Association for Jewish Studies Conference, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2020) Psalm 58 and Popular Culture: Avengers, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. Presented at The South Philadelphia Shtiebel, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2020) Hillsong Church and Jewish Biblical Exegesis. Presented at Yeshivat Chovevei Torah-Yeshivat Maharat Mind the Gap Program Session, Virtual.
- Orenstein, D. (2019) Christian Zionism. Presented in “Religion, Restrictions, Violence” course taught at Duke University, Durham, NC.
- Orenstein, D. (2015) Reflection on Ethnographic Research on CUFI Conference. Presented at Jewish Studies Perilman Symposium at Duke University, Durham, NC.
- Orenstein, D. (2014) Jewish Theology and Noahides. Presented at Temple Israel, West Lafayette, IN.
- Association for Jewish Studies Mentorship Program Sept. 2020-Present
- The Leonore and Louis Piser Prize in Jewish Studies May 2009
- Founder’s Scholar Spring 2009
- Indiana University Faculty Award Fall 2006-Spring 2009
- Duke University The Kenan Institute for Ethics Joseph Shatzmiller Fellowship in Jewish Studies Oct. 2020-Present
- Duke University Jewish Studies Perilman Fellowships May 2016-Present
- Yeshivat Chovevei Torah-Yeshivat Maharat Mind the Gap Program Fellowship Oct. 2020-Present
- Drisha Institute for Jewish Education Elul Fellowship Aug. 2020-Sept. 2020
- Association for Jewish Studies Grant Aug. 2020
- Duke University Jewish Studies Perilman Summer Research Stipends Summer 2015-Summer 2020
- Duke University Graduate School Instructor of Record and Teaching Assistant Fellowships Fall 2019-Spring 2020
- Duke University Graduate School COVID Funding Extension Scholarships Fall 2020-Spring 2021
- Brandeis University Merit Scholarship Fall 2009-Spring 2010
- Percy Family Scholarship Fall 2008-Spring 2009
- Robert A. and Sandra S. Borns Merit Scholarships Fall 2007-Spring 2009
- Robert A. and Sandra S. Borns Scholarship Fall 2006-Spring 2007
- Eta Beta Rho National Scholastic Honor Society for Students of Hebrew Language and Culture Nov. 2010-Present
- Phi Beta Kappa May 2009-Present
- Golden Key International Honour Society Dec. 2008-Present
- Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society May 2008-Present
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society Sept. 2007-Present
- Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society Sept. 2007-Present
- National Scholars Honor Society Sept. 2007-Present
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Sept. 2007-Present
- Honors Student Association Diversity Committee Sept. 2007-May 2008
TIKVAH ADVANCED INSTITUTES ATTENDED
- The Jewish-Christian Alliance: Past, Present, and Future Dec. 2016
- What is Jewish Conservatism? Nov. 2015