Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Southern California 1992
Academic Positions Outside Duke
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and Academic Policies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2014 - 2017
- Associate Provost for Faculty Development, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2013 - 2014
- Director of the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2010 - 2013
- Professor, Department of Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2006 - 2017
- Head, Department of Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2004 - 2010
- Acting Director, Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2001
- Associate Director, Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2001 - 2002
In the News
OCT 20, 2017
Awards & Honors
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Benmamoun, E, and Bassiouney, R. The Routledge Handbook of Arabic Linguistics. Routledge, December 22, 2017.
- Aoun, JE, Benmamoun, E, and Choueiri, L. The syntax of Arabic. January 1, 2009. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XIX Papers from the Nineteenth Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics, Urbana, Illinois, April 2005. John Benjamins Publishing, 2007.
- Alhawary, MT, and Benmamoun, E. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XVII-XVIII Papers from the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Annual Symposia on Arabic Linguistics. John Benjamins Publishing, January 1, 2005.
- Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics Papers from the .. Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics. 2002.
- Parkinson, DB, and Benmamoun, E. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XIII-XIV Papers from the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Annual Symposia on Arabic Linguistics. John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2002.
- Benmamoun, E. The Feature Structure of Functional Categories A Comparative Study of Arabic Dialects. Oxford University Press, February 24, 2000.
- Lappin, S, and Benmamoun, E. Fragments Studies in Ellipsis and Gapping. Oxford University Press, January 28, 1999.
- Benmamoun, E. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics 12. John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1999.
- Benmamoun, E. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics 12. John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1999.
- Shosted, RK, Sutton, BP, and Benmamoun, A. "Using magnetic resonance to image the pharynx during Arabic speech: Static and dynamic aspects." December 1, 2012.
- Hasegawa-Johnson, M, Benmamoun, E, Mustafawi, E, Elmahdy, M, and Duwairi, R. "On the definition of theword "Segmental"." January 1, 2012.
- Benmamoun, E. "Agreement asymmetries and the PF interface." 2000. Link to Item
- Benmamoun, E, Eid, M, and Haeri, N. "Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XI - Papers from the Eleventh Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics - Introduction." 1998. Link to Item
- Benmamoun, E, and Albirini, A. "IS LEARNING A STANDARD VARIETY SIMILAR TO LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE?: Evidence from Heritage Speakers of Arabic (Accepted)." Studies in Second Language Acquisition (December 5, 2016): 1-31. Full Text
- ALBIRINI, A, and BENMAMOUN, E. "Factors affecting the retention of sentential negation in heritage Egyptian Arabic." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 18, no. 03 (July 2015): 470-489. Full Text
- Albirini, A, and Benmamoun, E. "Concatenative and Nonconcatenative Plural Formation in L1, L2, and Heritage Speakers of Arabic." The Modern Language Journal 98, no. 3 (September 2014): 854-871. Full Text
- Albirini, A, and Benmamoun, E. "Aspects of second-language transfer in the oral production of Egyptian and Palestinian heritage speakers." International Journal of Bilingualism 18, no. 3 (June 2014): 244-273. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E, Albirini, A, Montrul, SA, and Saadah, E. "Arabic plurals and root and pattern morphology in Palestinian and Egyptian heritage speakers." Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism 4, no. 1 (March 6, 2014): 89-123. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E, Montrul, S, and Polinsky, M. "Defining an “ideal” heritage speaker: Theoretical and methodological challenges Reply to peer commentaries." Theoretical Linguistics 39, no. 3-4 (January 20, 2013). Full Text
- Benmamoun, E, Montrul, S, and Polinsky, M. "Heritage languages and their speakers: Opportunities and challenges for linguistics." Theoretical Linguistics 39, no. 3-4 (January 20, 2013). Full Text
- ALBIRINI, A, BENMAMOUN, E, and CHAKRANI, B. "Gender and number agreement in the oral production of Arabic Heritage speakers." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition 16, no. 01 (January 2013): 1-18. Full Text
- Abunasser, M, Al-Sabbagh, R, Bidaoui, A, Shalash, D, and Benmamoun, E. "The Location of Sentential Negation in Arabic Varieties." Brill's Annual of Afroasiatic Languages and Linguistics 5, no. 1 (January 1, 2013): 83-116. Full Text
- Albirini, A, Benmamoun, E, and Saadah, E. "GRAMMATICAL FEATURES OF EGYPTIAN AND PALESTINIAN ARABIC HERITAGE SPEAKERS’ ORAL PRODUCTION." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 33, no. 02 (June 2011): 273-303. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E, and Lorimor, H. "Featureless Expressions: When Morphophonological Markers Are Absent." Linguistic Inquiry 37, no. 1 (January 2006): 1-23. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. "Licensing Configurations: The Puzzle of Head Negative Polarity Items." Linguistic Inquiry 37, no. 1 (January 2006): 141-149. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. "Agreement parallelism between sentences and noun phrases: A historical sketch." Lingua 113, no. 8 (August 1, 2003): 747-764. Full Text
- Aoun, J, Benmamoun, E, and Sportiche, D. "Further Remarks on First Conjunct Agreement." Linguistic Inquiry 30, no. 4 (October 1999): 669-681. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. "The Syntax of Quantifiers and Quantifier Float." Linguistic Inquiry 30, no. 4 (October 1999): 621-642. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. "Remarks and replies: The syntax of quantifiers and quantifier float." Linguistic Inquiry 30, no. 4 (September 1, 1999): 621-642.
- Benmamoun, E. "Arabic morphology: The central role of the imperfective." Lingua 108, no. 2-3 (June 1999): 175-201. Full Text
- Aoun, J, and Benmamoun, E. "Minimality, Reconstruction, and PF Movement." Linguistic Inquiry 29, no. 4 (October 1998): 569-597. Full Text
- Benmamoun, E. "Licensing of negative polarity items in Moroccan Arabic." NATURAL LANGUAGE & LINGUISTIC THEORY 15, no. 2 (May 1997): 263-287. Full Text Link to Item
- AOUN, J, BENMAMOUN, E, and SPORTICHE, D. "AGREEMENT, WORD-ORDER, AND CONJUNCTION IN SOME VARIETIES OF ARABIC." LINGUISTIC INQUIRY 25, no. 2 (1994): 195-220. Link to Item
- Teaching & Mentoring
Course taught at the University of Illinois
Introduction to Language Science (Ling 100) Introduction to Syntax (Ling 501)
Intermediate Syntax (Ling 541)
Field Methods in Linguistics (Ling 516) Syntax Seminar (Ling 581)
Practicum (Ling 504)
Introduction to General Linguistics (Ling 400) Seminar on Romance Linguistics (Ling 562) Morphology Seminar (Ling 403)
Semitic Syntax Seminar Introduction to Syntax (Ling 301) Tutorials in Arabic
Team-Taught Course on the “Arab Spring”
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Heritage Arabic. Georgetown University in Qatar. April 2017 2017
- Panel on Diversity. Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning Administrators. March 2017 2017
- Heritage Language Summit Keynote. Michigan State University. April 2016 2016
- Arabic in Geneva Workshop. University of Geneva. August 2015 2015
- Arabic Maintenance and Loss in the Diaspora: The Case of Second Generation Arab Americans. Georgetown University in Qatar. April 2014 2014
- Arabic Dialects as Resources for Improving the Teaching and Learnings of Standard Arabic: Implications for Language Acquisition and Language Policy. Panel on Language Policy and Education in the Arab World: Issues and Challenges. Middle Studies Association Annual Meeting. 2014 2014
- Arabic in the Diaspora: The Linguistic Competence of the Second Generation (in Arabic). Conference on Arabic as a Second Language. King Saud University. 2014 2014
- Heritage Arabic Grammar: Maintenance and Attrition. Second International Conference on Heritage Language. UCLA. 2014 2014
- Syntactic Outcomes of Contact in Sason Arabic. ARCO 2014 (Arabic in Contact: Sociolinguistic and LInguistic Perspectives). 2014 2014
- The History and Syntax of the Copula Construction in Sason Arabic. Linguistic Approaches to Endangered Languages: Theory and Description. Bogazici University. 2014 2014
- The Syntax of Negation in Contact Contexts: The Case of Sason Arabic. 28th Arabic Linguistics Symposium. University of Florida. 2014 2014
- Word Order in Contact Contexts: The Case of Sason Arabic. Language and Linguistics Conference. 2014 2014
- Institute Faculty at Heritage Language Institute. University of Illinois at Chicago. June 2013 2013
- Panel on Arabic as a Second Language. Al Akhawayn University. June 2013 2013
- Arabic Linguistics and Interdisciplinarity. American University of Beirut. May 2013 2013
- Arabic as Heritage Language. American University of Beirut. May 2013 2013
- Arabic LIguistic Symposium Keynote. Indiana University. February 2013 2013
- A Hybrid Approach for Prepositional Phrase Attachment in MSA and EA. WACL Workshop on Arabic Corpus Linguistics. Lancaster University. 2013 2013
- Computational measures of linguistic variation. 27th Arabic Linguistics Symposium (ALS 27). Indiana University. 2013 2013
- How Different are Arabic Dialects from Each Other and from Classical Arabic?. 6th International Arabic Linguistics Symposium on Arabic Linguistics. Al-Akhawayn University. 2013 2013
- Linguistic transfer in learning English as a second language in typically developing Arabic hertiage school-age speakers. 27th Arabic Linguistics Symposium (ALS 27). Indiana University. 2013 2013
- Sentential Negation in Heritage Arabic. 6th International Arabic Linguistics Symposium on Arabic Linguistics. Al-Akhawayn University. 2013 2013
- Institute Faculty at the Heritage Language Institute. UCLA. June 2012 2012
- Conference on Arabic Language and Identity Keynote. Qatar University. April 2012 2012
- The Future in Arabic Varieties: A Synchronic and Diachronic Study. Qatar University. April 2012 2012
- Arabic Sociolinguistics Workshop Keynote. Georgetown University. February 2012 2012
- Root and Pattern Morphology in the Speech of Heritage Speakers Arabic. 6th International Conference on Linguisticss, Literature, and Translation. Irbid National University. April 2011 2011
- Variation on the Same Theme: Comparative Syntax of Negation in Arabic Varieties. Linguistics in the Gulf. Qatar University. March 2011 2011
- Hertigage Language Institute Discussant. University of Hawaii at Mano. June 2010 2010
- Arabic as a Heritage Language in the USA. American University of Beirut. March 2010 2010
- Interpretability and Modes of Spell-Out. University of Southern California. May 2009 2009
- The Syntax and Morpho-phonoloy of Close Conjunct Agreement. University of Nantes. February 2009 2009
- Agreement and Plural Features in Heritage Arabic Speakers. Heritage Language Institute, Harvard University. June 2008 2008
- The Syntax of Arabic Varieties: Issues and Challenges. Annual Symposium of Arabic Languages Keynote. University of Maryland. March 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.