Jennifer Lynn Garst
Professor of Medicine
1. Non-small cell and small cell lung cancer - intervention, epidemiology and treatment.
2. Clinical trials of combined modality therapy, cancer drug development, and new treatment approaches and supportive care for lung cancer.
3. Lung cancer as a women's health issue.
4. Supportive care for lung cancer patients including management of taste alteration, weight loss and declining performance status.
5. Clinical research in the Duke Oncology Outreach (DOORS) & DOC affiliate setting.
6. Standardization of management for common oncologic problems.
1. Principal Investigator:
TOP 96-02, "A Phase I/II Dose Escalation Study of Concurrent Navelbine and Radiation Inoperable Stage III"
TOP 96-03, "A Phase I/II Study of Weekly Docetaxel and Vinorelbine in Advanced and Relapsed Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma"
TOP 97-01, "A Phase I/II Study: Sequential Topotecan and Carboplatin/VP-16 for the Treatment of Small Cell Lung Cancer"
TOP 98-01, "A Phase I/II Study: Weekly CPT-11 with Vinorelbine in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma"
TOP 98-02, "A Phase I/II Trial of Concurrent Carboplatin and Vinorelbine Chemotherapy with Radiation Followed by Surgery in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma"
TOP 99-01, "A Feasibility Trial of Filgrastim-SD/01 to Support Carboplatin/ Navelbine (SD/01-CaN) Chemotherapy for the Treatment of Thoracic Malignancies"
TOP 00-03, "Phase II Trial of Gemcitabine and Oxaliplatin in the Treatment of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)"
TOP 00-01, "A Pilot Study of the Relative Velocity of Serum Tumor Marker CYFRA 21-1 as an Indicator of Early Chemotherapeutic Response in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer"
"Evaluation of Oral Antiemetic Regimens for Moderately-High to Highly Emetogenic Chemotherapy: Pilot Study of Oral Ondansetron in Acute Chemotherapy Inducted Emesis (CIE) and a Randomized Double Blind Comparison of Ondansetron versus Dexamethasone versus Procholorperazine in Delayed CIE"
2. Co-Principal Investigator:
"A Phase I/II Study of Active Immunotherapy with Dexosomes Loaded with
Mage3.A2 and Mage4.A2 Peptides in HLA A2+ Patients with Metastatic
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Expressing Mage3 or Mage4 (AP Cells,
3D 97-01, "A Phase I Dose Escalation Research Study of Radiotherapy Using Three-Dimensional Treatment Planning Following Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage IIB/III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer"
"Phase IV Pharmacokinetic Study in Chemonaive Patients with Stage IIIB or IV
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Receiving Gemcitabine and
Cisplatin (Eli Lilly B9E-MC-JHQK)"
3. Initiation, organization and development of the Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology clinic
with clinical research at DVAMC, 1996
4. Development of four oncology clinical pathways at Duke University Medical Center, 1997
5. Implementation of 3 clinical research trials at DOORS Asheboro site, Randolph Hospital,
Current Appointments & Affiliations
Education, Training, & Certifications
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from
Duke databases and external sources. (Our
About page explains how this works.)
If you see a problem with the information, please write to
Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will