Education, Training, & Certifications
- 2017-01031. North Carolina. 2017
In the News
MAR 9, 2015 The Washington Post
Awards & Honors
- BR-076 awarded by Fox Chase Cancer Center 2018 - 2022
- TBCRC39 awarded by Johns Hopkins University 2018 - 2022
- Regional Oncolytic Poliovirus Immunotherapy for Breast Cancer awarded by Department of Defense 2016 - 2021
- 3D Biology Signatures defined by Nanostring Max System awarded by North Carolina Biotechnology Center 2018 - 2019
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Shariff, AI, Syed, S, Shelby, RA, Force, J, Clarke, JM, D'Alessio, D, and Corsino, L. "Novel cancer therapies and their association with diabetes." Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 62, no. 2 (February 2019): R187-R199. (Review) Full Text
- Force, J, Howie, LJ, Abbott, SE, Bentley, R, Marcom, PK, Kimmick, G, Westbrook, K, Sammons, SL, Parks, M, Topping, DL, Emerson, R, Broadwater, G, Hyslop, T, Blackwell, KL, and Nair, SK. "Early Stage HER2-Positive Breast Cancers Not Achieving a pCR From Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab- or Pertuzumab-Based Regimens Have an Immunosuppressive Phenotype." Clinical Breast Cancer 18, no. 5 (October 2018): 410-417. Full Text
- Ong, CT, Campbell, BM, Thomas, SM, Greenup, RA, Plichta, JK, Rosenberger, LH, Force, J, Hall, A, Hyslop, T, Hwang, ES, and Fayanju, OM. "Metaplastic Breast Cancer Treatment and Outcomes in 2500 Patients: A Retrospective Analysis of a National Oncology Database." Annals of Surgical Oncology 25, no. 8 (August 2018): 2249-2260. Full Text
- Force, J, and Salama, AK. "First-line treatment of metastatic melanoma: role of nivolumab." ImmunoTargets and therapy 6 (January 2017): 1-10. (Review) Full Text Open Access Copy
- Spiegel, D, Marcom, PK, Peterson, B, Force, J, Howie, L, Palta, M, Blitzblau, RC, and Horton, JK. "Acute Toxicity in Patients With HER2-Positive Breast Cancer Treated With Adjuvant Radiation Therapy and Concurrent Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab." International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 96, no. 2S (October 2016): E9-E10. Full Text
- Force, J, Saxena, R, Schneider, BP, Storniolo, AM, Sledge, GW, Chalasani, N, and Vuppalanchi, R. "Nodular Regenerative Hyperplasia After Treatment With Trastuzumab Emtansine." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 34, no. 3 (January 2016): e9-12. Full Text
- Force, J, Rajan, A, Dombi, E, Steinberg, SM, and Giaccone, G. "Assessment of objective responses using volumetric evaluation in advanced thymic malignancies and metastatic non-small cell lung cancer." Journal of Thoracic Oncology : Official Publication of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer 6, no. 7 (July 2011): 1267-1273. Full Text
- Kelly, RJ, Rajan, A, Force, J, Lopez-Chavez, A, Keen, C, Cao, L, Yu, Y, Choyke, P, Turkbey, B, Raffeld, M, Xi, L, Steinberg, SM, Wright, JJ, Kummar, S, Gutierrez, M, and Giaccone, G. "Evaluation of KRAS mutations, angiogenic biomarkers, and DCE-MRI in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer receiving sorafenib." Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 17, no. 5 (March 2011): 1190-1199. Full Text
- Girnun, GD, Chen, L, Silvaggi, J, Drapkin, R, Chirieac, LR, Padera, RF, Upadhyay, R, Vafai, SB, Weissleder, R, Mahmood, U, Naseri, E, Buckley, S, Li, D, Force, J, McNamara, K, Demetri, G, Spiegelman, BM, and Wong, K-K. "Regression of drug-resistant lung cancer by the combination of rosiglitazone and carboplatin." Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 14, no. 20 (October 2008): 6478-6486. Full Text
- Norden-Zfoni, A, Desai, J, Manola, J, Beaudry, P, Force, J, Maki, R, Folkman, J, Bello, C, Baum, C, DePrimo, SE, Shalinsky, DR, Demetri, GD, and Heymach, JV. "Blood-based biomarkers of SU11248 activity and clinical outcome in patients with metastatic imatinib-resistant gastrointestinal stromal tumor." Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 13, no. 9 (May 2007): 2643-2650. Full Text
- Celik, I, Sürücü, O, Dietz, C, Heymach, JV, Force, J, Höschele, I, Becker, CM, Folkman, J, and Kisker, O. "Therapeutic efficacy of endostatin exhibits a biphasic dose-response curve." Cancer Research 65, no. 23 (December 2005): 11044-11050. Full Text
- Beaudry, P, Force, J, Naumov, GN, Wang, A, Baker, CH, Ryan, A, Soker, S, Johnson, BE, Folkman, J, and Heymach, JV. "Differential effects of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 inhibitor ZD6474 on circulating endothelial progenitors and mature circulating endothelial cells: implications for use as a surrogate marker of antiangiogenic activity." Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 11, no. 9 (May 2005): 3514-3522. Full Text
- Schuch, G, Heymach, JV, Nomi, M, Machluf, M, Force, J, Atala, A, Eder, JP, Folkman, J, and Soker, S. "Endostatin inhibits the vascular endothelial growth factor-induced mobilization of endothelial progenitor cells." Cancer research 63, no. 23 (December 2003): 8345-8350.
- Thomas, SM, Fayanju, OM, Plichta, JK, Rosenberger, LH, Force, J, Hyslop, T, Hwang, ES, and Greenup, RA. "Treatment Patterns and Outcomes for Breast Cancer with Isolated Supraclavicular Metastases." 71st Annual Cancer Symposium of the Society-of-Surgical-Oncology. Chicago, IL. March 21, 2018 - March 24, 2018.: SPRINGER, February 1, 2018. Link to Item
- Campbell, BM, Thomas, SM, Ong, CT, Greenup, RA, Plichta, JK, Rosenberger, LH, Force, JM, Hyslop, T, Hwang, E-SS, and Fayanju, OM. "The epidemiology of metaplastic breast cancer: A review of 2,500 cases from the national cancer database." May 20, 2017. Full Text Link to Item
- Ong, CT, Thomas, SM, Campbell, BM, Greenup, RA, Plichta, JK, Rosenberger, LH, Force, JM, Hyslop, T, Hwang, E-SS, and Fayanju, OM. "A population-based analysis of treatment and outcomes in 2,500 meta plastic breast cancer patients." May 20, 2017. Full Text Link to Item
- Force, J, Abbott, S, Broadwater, G, Kimmick, G, Westbrook, K, Hwang, S, Kauff, N, Stashko, I, Weinhold, K, Nair, S, Hyslop, T, Blackwell, K, Castellar, E, and Marcom, P. "Abstract P2-04-19: Elucidating the tumor immune microenvironment phenotype in early stage untreated BRCA mutated breast cancer patients." February 15, 2017. Full Text
- Force, JM, Howie, LJ, Abbottt, S, Bentley, RC, Marcom, PK, Kimmick, GG, Westbrook, KE, Parks, M, Topping, DL, Broadwater, G, Blackwell, KL, and Nair, SK. "Increased FoxP3 and PD-L1 in non-pCR tissue from early stage HER2 positive breast cancer patients treated with trastuzumab-pertuzumab based regimens." May 20, 2016. Full Text Link to Item
- Howie, L, Marcom, P, Topping, D, Force, J, Emerson, R, Bhavsar, N, Abbott, S, Parks, M, Robins, H, and Blackwell, K. "Abstract P4-14-16: T-cell clonality increases after neoadjuvant treatment with trastuzumab and pertuzumab." February 15, 2016. Full Text
- Force, J, Rajan, A, Dombi, E, Steinberg, SM, and Giaccone, G. "Volumetric analysis of advanced thymic malignancies." : American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), May 20, 2010. Full Text
- Kelly, RJ, Force, J, Rajan, A, Keen, C, Turkbey, B, Cao, L, Raffeld, M, Steinberg, SM, Wright, JJ, and Giaccone, G. "Evaluation of Kras mutations and angiogenic biomarkers in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) receiving single-agent sorafenib (S)." : American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), May 20, 2010. Full Text
- Force, JM, Briggs, A, Lowe, K, Lifshits, E, Foklman, J, and Heymach, JV. "The Differential Regulation of Taxane Sensitivity by Hypoxia in Endothelial and Lung Carcinoma Cells." Proc Am Asso Cancer Res Special Conf: Mol Path Lung Canc 2005. 2005 - 2005.
- Force, JM, Heymach, JV, Beaudry, B, Norden-Zfoni, A, Prox, D, Briggs, A, Naumov, G, Baker, CH, Ryan, A, Folkman, J, and Johnson, BE. "Circulating Endothelial Cells as a Marker of Antiangiogenic Activity." Lung Spore Annual Meeting. 2005 - 2005.
- Force, JM, Heymach, JV, Beaudry, B, Wang, AC, Baker, C, Ryan, A, Folkman, J, and Soker, S. "Effects of the VEGFR-2 Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor ZD6474 and Docetaxel on Circulating Endothelial Cells (CEC): Implications for Use as a Surrogate Marker." Proc AACR/NCI/EORTC Mol Targ and Canc Therapeutics. 2003 - 2003.
- Force, JM, Heymach, JV, Kulke, MH, Fuchs, CS, Connors, S, Sidor, C, George, D, Eder, JP, Folkman, J, and Soker, S. "Circulating Endothelial Cells as a Surrogate Marker of Antiangiogenic Activity in Patients Treated with Endostatin." Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2003 - 2003.
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Service to the Profession
Hematology/Oncology Fellow: Primary Mentors – Dr. P. Kelly Marcom, Dr. Kent Weinhold, Dr. Smita Nair, & Dr. Neil Spector. Duke University Medical Center, Department of Hematology/Oncology, Durham, NC. July 2014-Present.
- Development of investigator-initiated clinical trials studying novel immunotherapeutic strategies in breast cancer
- Development and IRB approval of a clinical trial investigating early stage triple negative breast cancer immune infiltrate changes from pembrolizumab
- Investigating relationships between the immune system, tumor microenvironment, and hereditary breast cancers
- Identified an immunosuppressive phenotype in early stage HER2+ breast cancer patients treated with THCP not achieving a pathologic complete response
- Helped to elucidate T-cell receptor deep sequencing changes in early stage HER2+ breast cancer patients treated with TCHP
- Investigate relationships between APOBEC3B mutations in breast cancers
- Assist in initiating the Duke Inflammatory Breast Cancer Clinic
Medical Research Scholars Program (HHMI/CRTP): Clinical Mentor - Dr. Giuseppe Giaccone, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. August 2009-July 2010.
- Partook in elucidating the benefits CT based volumetric measurements could aid in clinical decision making against RECIST criteria in thymic malignancies treated with belinostat.
- Participated in the clinical research design and writing of protocols entitled Molecular Profiling of NSCLC, SCLC, and Thymic Malignancies With the Intention to Treat.
- Contributed towards the data analysis of ancillary studies in a phase II clinical trial of metastatic NSCLC patients treated with Sorafenib as a single agent.
- Invited to present oral presentations at annual FYI-CCR NIH Colloquium March 2010 and Annual CRTP Colloquium May 2010.
- Presented and contributed to weekly CRTP journal club discussions.
- Took part in weekly lecture series discussions held by Nobel laureates and other leaders in various medical fields.
- Obtained advanced education involving The Biology of Cancer and Principles of Clinical Pharmacology sponsored by the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences at the National Institutes of Health.
Summer Research Medical Student: Research Mentor - Dr. Kwok Wong, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA. May 2007-August 2007.
- Utilized and applied scientific techniques such as DNA isolation, PCR, cloning, and tissue culture to aid in the creation of transgenic murine models of cancer.
- Treated transgenic mouse models of cancer with molecular targeted therapies and learned and performed MRI examinations on these mice to demonstrate decreased tumor burden.
Research Technician: Research Mentor: Dr. Judah Folkman, Children’s Hospital Boston, MA. July 2002-October 2005.
- Planned and performed extensive laboratory techniques involving murine models of cancer, surgical procedures, flow cytometry, tissue/cell culturing, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and other assays to measure angiogenesis.
- Developed methodologies for measuring circulating endothelial cell surrogate markers using flow cytometry. (Faculty advisor: Dr. John Heymach)
- Measured circulating endothelial cells in blood drawn from cancer patients being treated with angiogenesis inhibitors in clinical trials performed at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The goal of this work was to investigate surrogate markers of angiogenesis in cancer patients.
- Performed Master’s laboratory thesis on the combinations of taxanes and anti-angiogenic agents: conventional vs. metronomic dosing.
- Development of investigator-initiated clinical trials studying novel immunotherapeutic strategies in breast cancer
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.