Education, Training, & Certifications
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Fellowship, Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 1989 - 1992
- Pediatric Chief Resident, Pediatrics, Ann & Robert H Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago 1988 - 1989
- Pediatric Internship & Residency, Pediatrics, Ann & Robert H Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago 1985 - 1988
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania 1985
Duke Appointment History
- Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Part D Grants for Coordinated HIV Services: WICY awarded by Health Resources and Service Administration 2010 - 2020
- HIV Pediatric Services awarded by Wake County Human Services 2012 - 2015
- CORE / DUMC Pediatric Clinical Research Site (CRS) 1U01AI69484-01 awarded by National Institutes of Health 2007 - 2013
- HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials Unit (IMPAACT CTU) awarded by National Institutes of Health 2007 - 2008
- IMPAACT CTU awarded by National Institutes of Health 2007 - 2008
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Mink, R, Schwartz, A, Carraccio, C, High, P, Dammann, C, McGann, KA, Kesselheim, J, Herman, B, and Steering Committee of the Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network, . "Creating the Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network." The Journal of pediatrics 192 (January 2018): 3-4.e2. Full Text
- Pelletier, JH, Nagaraj, S, Gbadegesin, R, Wigfall, D, McGann, KA, and Foreman, J. "Neutropenic enterocolitis (typhlitis) in a pediatric renal transplant patient. A case report and review of the literature." Pediatric transplantation 21, no. 6 (September 2017). Full Text
- Fleming, GM, Brook, MM, Herman, BE, Kennedy, C, McGann, KA, Mason, KE, Weiss, P, and Myers, AL. "Recommended Protected Time for Pediatric Fellowship Program Directors: A Needs Assessment Survey." Academic pediatrics 16, no. 5 (July 2016): 415-418. Full Text
- Fairlie, L, Karalius, B, Patel, K, van Dyke, RB, Hazra, R, Hernán, MA, Siberry, GK, Seage, GR, Agwu, A, Wiznia, A, Pediatric HIV AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS), and The International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT), . "CD4+ and viral load outcomes of antiretroviral therapy switch strategies after virologic failure of combination antiretroviral therapy in perinatally HIV-infected youth in the United States." AIDS (London, England) 29, no. 16 (October 2015): 2109-2119. Full Text
- Fritch Lilla, SA, Burgett, SE, McGann, KA, and Wechsler, DS. "Persistent and Prolonged Parvovirus B19 Viremia in a Pediatric Patient With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia." Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society 4, no. 3 (September 2015): e38-e40. Full Text
- Narayan, AP, Whicker, SA, Benjamin, RW, Hawley, J, and McGann, KA. "Can Tablet Computers Enhance Faculty Teaching?." Journal of graduate medical education 7, no. 2 (June 2015): 242-246. Full Text
- Bartlett, KW, Whicker, SA, Bookman, J, Narayan, AP, Staples, BB, Hering, H, and McGann, KA. "Milestone-Based Assessments Are Superior to Likert-Type Assessments in Illustrating Trainee Progression." Journal of graduate medical education 7, no. 1 (March 2015): 75-80. Full Text
- Johnson, DP, Zimmerman, K, Staples, B, McGann, KA, Frush, K, and Turner, DA. "Multicenter development, implementation, and patient safety impacts of a simulation-based module to teach handovers to pediatric residents." Hospital pediatrics 5, no. 3 (March 2015): 154-159. Full Text
- Narayan, AP, Whicker, SA, Staples, BB, Bookman, J, Bartlett, KW, and McGann, KA. "Using an innovative curriculum evaluation tool to inform program improvement: the clinical skills fair." Journal of graduate medical education 6, no. 1 (March 2014): 133-138. Full Text
- Narayan, AP, Whicker, SA, and McGann, KA. "An innovative process for faculty development in residency training." Teach Learn Med 24, no. 3 (2012): 248-256. Full Text Link to Item
- Turner, DA, Narayan, AP, Whicker, SA, Bookman, J, and McGann, KA. "Do pediatric residents prefer interactive learning? Educational challenges in the duty hours era." Med Teach 33, no. 6 (2011): 494-496. Full Text Link to Item
- Lee, A, Sharkey, A, McGann, K, and 2nd, WS. "Mapping students' clinical experiences to pediatric clerkship goals." AMIA .. Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium (2006): 1003--.
- Lee, GM, Gortmaker, SL, McIntosh, K, Hughes, MD, Oleske, JM, Palumbo, P, Andrew, P, Dieudonne, A, Dashefsky, B, Gaur, S, Whitley-Williams, P, Malhotra, A, Cerracchio, L, Keller, M, Hayes, J, Gagajena, A, Mink, C, Hutton, N, Griffith, B, Joyner, M, Kiefner, C, Minglana, F, Paul, ME, Shearer, WT, Jackson, CD, Johnson, DC, Kowalski, D, Wolfe, B, Ryan, D, Higgins, A, Foca, M, LaRussa, P, Gershon, A, Scott, GB, Mitchell, CD, Taybo, L, Gamber, C, Petru, A, Courville, T, Gold, K, Johnson, L, and Piatt, JP et al. "Quality of life for children and adolescents: Impact of HIV infection and antiretroviral treatment." Pediatrics 117, no. 2 (2006): 273-283. Full Text
- Hayes, EV, and McGann, KA. "Complications of human immunodeficiency virus therapy." Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 23, no. 9 (2004): 873-874. Full Text
- Elward, AM, and McGann, KA. "Steps to reduce nosocomial infections in children." Infections in Medicine 19, no. 9 (2002): 414-424.
- McGann, KA. "Herpesvirus infections in the fetus and neonate: Epidemiology and clinical manifestations." Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Diseases 8, no. 3 (1997): 136-150. Full Text
- McGann, KA. "Management of infants with HIV-1 infection." Report on Pediatric Infectious Diseases 6, no. 1 (1996): 3-4.
- Balliet, JW, Kolson, DL, Eiger, G, Kim, FM, McGann, KA, Srinivasan, A, and Collman, R. "Distinct effects in primary macrophages and lymphocytes of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 accessory genes vpr, vpu, and nef: Mutational analysis of a primary HIV-1 isolate." Virology 200, no. 2 (1994): 623-631. Full Text
- Kolson, DL, Collman, R, Hrin, R, Balliet, JW, Laughlin, M, McGann, KA, Debouck, C, and Gonzalez-Scarano, F. "Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat activity in human neuronal cells: Uptake and trans-activation." Journal of General Virology 75, no. 8 (1994): 1927-1934.
- McGann, KA, Collman, R, Kolson, DL, Gonzalez-Scarano, F, Coukos, G, Coutifaris, C, Strauss, JF, and Nathanson, N. "Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 causes productive infection of macrophages in primary placental cell cultures." Journal of Infectious Diseases 169, no. 4 (1994): 746-753.
- Nathanson, N, McGann, KA, Wilesmith, J, Desrosiers, RC, and Brookmeyer, R. "The evolution of virus diseases: their emergence, epidemicity, and control." Virus Research 29, no. 1 (1993): 3-20. Full Text
- Nadel, S, McGann, K, Hodinka, RL, Rutstein, R, and Chatten, J. "Measles giant cell pneumonia in a child with human immunodeficiency virus infection." Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 10, no. 7 (1991): 542-544.
- McGann, KA, Provencher, M, Hoegg, C, and Talbot, GH. "Achromobacter xylosoxidans bacteremia." Infection control and hospital epidemiology : the official journal of the Society of Hospital Epidemiologists of America 11, no. 10 (1990): 539-541.
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.