Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Surgery, Surgery, Head and Neck Surgery and Communication Sciences, Surgery 1999 - 2015
- Instructor, Temporary in the Department of Surgery, Surgery, Head and Neck Surgery and Communication Sciences, Surgery 1999
In the News
OCT 8, 2013 UNC-TV’s “North Carolina Now"
- LiveWell RERC awarded by Administration For Community Living 2015 - 2020
- IPA Extension - Kevin Caves awarded by Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center 2018
- Student Design Projects for People with Disabilities at Duke University awarded by National Science Foundation 2010 - 2016
- Towards Clinical Acceptability: Enhancing the P300-based Brain-Computer Interface awarded by National Institutes of Health 2009 - 2016
- AAC-RERCIII:RERC for Communication Enhancement awarded by Administration For Community Living 2015
- AAC-RERCIII:RERC for Communication Enhancement awarded by Department of Education 2008 - 2015
- IPA - Kevin Caves (GRECC) awarded by Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center 2013 - 2014
- IPA - Kevin Caves awarded by Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center 2010 - 2011
- AAC-RERC II awarded by Department of Education 2003 - 2010
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Asano, M, Tai, BC, Chen, C, Yen, SC, Tay, A, Cheong, A, Ng, YS, De Silva, DA, Caves, K, Kumar, Y, Phan, SW, Cai, V, Wong, N, Chew, E, Chen, Z, Hoenig, H, and Koh, G. "Home-based tele-rehabilitation presents comparable and positive impact on self-reported functional outcomes as center-based rehabilitation: Singapore tele-technology aided rehabilitation in stroke (STARS) trial." Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 61 (July 2018): e22-e23. Full Text
- Hoenig, HM, Amis, K, Edmonds, C, Morgan, MS, Landerman, L, and Caves, K. "Testing fine motor coordination via telehealth: Effects of video characteristics on reliability and validity." Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 24, no. 5 (June 2018): 365-372. Full Text
- Ryan, DB, Colwell, KA, Throckmorton, CS, Collins, LM, Caves, K, and Sellers, EW. "Evaluating Brain-Computer Interface Performance in an ALS Population: Checkerboard and Color Paradigms." Clinical Eeg and Neuroscience 49, no. 2 (March 2018): 114-121. Full Text
- Reinkensmeyer, DJ, Blackstone, S, Bodine, C, Brabyn, J, Brienza, D, Caves, K, DeRuyter, F, Durfee, E, Fatone, S, Fernie, G, Gard, S, Karg, P, Kuiken, TA, Harris, GF, Jones, M, Li, Y, Maisel, J, McCue, M, Meade, MA, Mitchell, H, Mitzner, TL, Patton, JL, Requejo, PS, Rimmer, JH, Rogers, WA, Zev Rymer, W, Sanford, JA, Schneider, L, Sliker, L, Sprigle, S, Steinfeld, A, Steinfeld, E, Vanderheiden, G, Winstein, C, Zhang, L-Q, and Corfman, T. "How a diverse research ecosystem has generated new rehabilitation technologies: Review of NIDILRR's Rehabilitation Engineering Research Centers." Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation 14, no. 1 (November 6, 2017): 109-null. (Review) Full Text
- Kalika, D, Collins, L, Caves, K, and Throckmorton, C. "Fusion of P300 and eye-tracker data for spelling using BCI2000." Journal of Neural Engineering 14, no. 5 (October 1, 2017): 056010-056010. Full Text
- Venkataraman, K, Morgan, M, Amis, KA, Landerman, LR, Koh, GC, Caves, K, and Hoenig, H. "Tele-Assessment of the Berg Balance Scale: Effects of Transmission Characteristics." Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation 98, no. 4 (April 2017): 659-664.e1. Full Text
- Clements, JM, Sellers, EW, Ryan, DB, Caves, K, Collins, LM, and Throckmorton, CS. "Applying dynamic data collection to improve dry electrode system performance for a P300-based brain-computer interface." Journal of Neural Engineering 13, no. 6 (December 2016): 066018-null. Full Text
- Tocci, FL, Morey, MC, Caves, KM, Deberry, J, Leahy, GD, and Hall, K. "Are Older Adults Ready for Wireless Physical Activity Tracking Devices? A Comparison of Commonly Used Tracking Devices." Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 64, no. 1 (January 2016): 226-228. (Letter) Full Text
- Koh, GC-H, Yen, SC, Tay, A, Cheong, A, Ng, YS, De Silva, DA, Png, C, Caves, K, Koh, K, Kumar, Y, Phan, SW, Tai, BC, Chen, C, Chew, E, Chao, Z, Chua, CE, Koh, YS, and Hoenig, H. "Singapore Tele-technology Aided Rehabilitation in Stroke (STARS) trial: protocol of a randomized clinical trial on tele-rehabilitation for stroke patients." Bmc Neurology 15 (September 5, 2015): 161-null. Full Text
- Hoenig, H, Morgan, M, Montgomery, C, Landerman, LR, and Caves, K. "One size does not fit all-mobility device type affects speed, collisions, fatigue, and pain." Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation 96, no. 3 (March 2015): 489-497. Full Text
- Mainsah, BO, Collins, LM, Colwell, KA, Sellers, EW, Ryan, DB, Caves, K, and Throckmorton, CS. "Increasing BCI communication rates with dynamic stopping towards more practical use: an ALS study." Journal of Neural Engineering 12, no. 1 (February 2015): 016013-null. Full Text
- Hoenig, H, Morgan, M, Montgomery, C, Landerman, LR, and Caves, K. "One size does not fit all - Mobility device type affects speed, collisions, fatigue, and pain." Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 96, no. 3 (January 1, 2015): 489-497. Full Text
- Peterson, MJ, Williams, N, Caves, K, and Morey, MC. "A pilot study of partial unweighted treadmill training in mobility-impaired older adults." BioMed research international 2014 (January 2014): 321048-. Full Text
- Tan, KK, Narayanan, AS, Koh, CH, Caves, K, and Hoenig, H. "Extraction of spatial information for low-bandwidth telerehabilitation applications." Journal of rehabilitation research and development 51, no. 5 (January 2014): 825-840.
- Hoenig, H, Tate, L, Dumbleton, S, Montgomery, C, Morgan, M, Landerman, LR, and Caves, K. "A quality assurance study on the accuracy of measuring physical function under current conditions for use of clinical video telehealth." Arch Phys Med Rehabil 94, no. 5 (May 2013): 998-1002. Full Text Link to Item
- Hoenig, H, Griffiths, P, Ganesh, S, Caves, K, and Harris, F. "The accuracy of new wheelchair users' predictions about their future wheelchair use." American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 91, no. 6 (June 2012): 511-518. Full Text
- Turner, C, and Utschig, T. "Nifty ideas and surprising flops in capstone design education." International Journal of Engineering Education 27, no. 6 (November 18, 2011): 1174-1185.
- Bielefeldt, AR, Dewoolkar, MM, Caves, KM, Berdanier, BW, and Paterson, KG. "Diverse Models for Incorporating Service Projects into Engineering Capstone Design Courses." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING EDUCATION 27, no. 6 (2011): 1206-1220. Link to Item
- Gimm, JA, Goldberg, R, Caves, K, and Malkin, R. "Use of simple hands-on design challenges for practicing engineering design principles." ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings (2011).
- Goldberg, R, Caves, K, and Reynolds, JA. "Improving the quality of writing in a capstone engineering design course." ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings (2011).
- Higginbotham, DJ, Beukelman, D, Blackstone, S, Bryen, D, Caves, K, Deruyter, F, Jakobs, T, Light, J, McNaughton, D, Moulton, B, Shane, H, and Williams, MB. "AAC technology transfer: an AAC-RERC report." Augmentative and alternative communication (Baltimore, Md. : 1985) 25, no. 1 (March 2009): 68-76. Full Text
- Baker, PMA, and Caves, K. "Introduction: Disability policy and the law: much accomplished, much remains to be done." Assistive technology : the official journal of RESNA 20, no. 3 (January 2008): 125-. Full Text
- DeRuyter, F, McNaughton, D, Caves, K, Bryen, DN, and Williams, MB. "Enhancing AAC connections with the world." Augmentative and alternative communication (Baltimore, Md. : 1985) 23, no. 3 (September 2007): 258-270. (Review) Full Text
- Higginbotham, DJ, Shane, H, Russell, S, and Caves, K. "Access to AAC: present, past, and future." Augmentative and alternative communication (Baltimore, Md. : 1985) 23, no. 3 (September 2007): 243-257. (Review) Full Text
- Snell, ME, Caves, K, McLean, L, Mollica, BM, Mirenda, P, Paul-Brown, D, Romski, MA, Rourk, J, Sevcik, R, and Yoder, D. "Concerns regarding the Application of Restrictive “Eligibility” Policies to Individuals Who Need Communication Services and Supports: A Response by the National Joint Committee for the Communication Needs of Persons with Severe Disabilities." Research and Practice for Persons With Severe Disabilities 28, no. 2 (June 2003): 70-78. Full Text
- Caves, K, and DeRuyter, F. "Introduction." Assistive Technology 14, no. 1 (June 30, 2002): 1-2. Full Text
- Caves, K, Shane, HC, and DeRuyter, F. "Connecting AAC devices to the world of information technology." Assistive technology : the official journal of RESNA 14, no. 1 (January 2002): 81-89. (Review) Full Text
- Higginbotham, DJ, and Caves, K. "AAC performance and usability issues: the effect of AAC technology on the communicative process." Assistive technology : the official journal of RESNA 14, no. 1 (January 2002): 45-57. (Review) Full Text
- Caves, K. "Using Encoded Input Strategies To Facilitate Computer and Communication Access for Individuals with Physical Disabilities." Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation 7, no. 1 (April 2000): 77-82. Full Text
- "Work in progress: Project tadpole - A student-led engineering service club." June 23, 2018.
- Caves, K, Davis, L, and DeRuyter, F. "Development and Evaluation of a Device to Measure Walking Speed." : Springer International Publishing, 2018. Full Text
- DeMino, A, and Dynamics, G. "Assessing Dysarthria severity using global statistics and boosting." 2011 45th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers. November 6, 2011 - November 9, 2011.: IEEE, November 2011. Full Text
- "Use of simple hands-on design challenges for practicing engineering design principles." January 1, 2011.
- "Improving the quality of writing in a capstone engineering design course." January 1, 2011.
- Agrawal, S, Constandache, I, Gaonkar, S, Roy Choudhury, R, Caves, K, and DeRuyter, F. "Using mobile phones to write in air." the 9th international conference. June 28, 2011 - July 1, 2011.: ACM Press, 2011. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
- BME 460L: Devices for People with Disabilities (DR) 2019
- BME 490L: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering Design (DR) 2019
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication 2019
- BME 390S: Special Topics Seminar in BME 2018
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE) 2018
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab 2018
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering 2018
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE) 2017
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.