Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Georgia at Athens 2010
- The Role of the Voltage Gated Calcium Channel ¿2¿-1 Subunit in the Development of Addiction awarded by Brain and Behavior Research Foundation 2017 - 2019
- IPA - Mary-Louise Risher awarded by Veterans Administration Medical Center 2012 - 2014
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Risher, ML, Sexton, HG, Risher, WC, Wilson, WA, Fleming, RL, Madison, RD, Moore, SD, Eroglu, C, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Adolescent Intermittent Alcohol Exposure: Dysregulation of Thrombospondins and Synapse Formation are Associated with Decreased Neuronal Density in the Adult Hippocampus." Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research 39, no. 12 (December 2015): 2403-2413.
- Risher, ML, Fleming, RL, Risher, WC, Miller, KM, Klein, RC, Wills, T, Acheson, SK, Moore, SD, Wilson, WA, Eroglu, C, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Adolescent intermittent alcohol exposure: persistence of structural and functional hippocampal abnormalities into adulthood." Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research 39, no. 6 (June 2015): 989-997.
- Swartzwelder, HS, Acheson, SK, Miller, KM, Sexton, HG, Liu, W, Crews, FT, and Risher, ML. "Adolescent Intermittent Alcohol Exposure: Deficits in Object Recognition Memory and Forebrain Cholinergic Markers." Plos One 10, no. 11 (January 2015): e0140042-e0140042.
- Centanni, SW, Teppen, T, Risher, ML, Fleming, RL, Moss, JL, Acheson, SK, Mulholland, PJ, Pandey, SC, Chandler, LJ, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Adolescent alcohol exposure alters GABAA receptor subunit expression in adult hippocampus." Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research 38, no. 11 (November 2014): 2800-2808.
- Swartzwelder, HS, Hogan, A, Risher, M-L, Swartzwelder, RA, Wilson, WA, and Acheson, SK. "Effect of sub-chronic intermittent ethanol exposure on spatial learning and ethanol sensitivity in adolescent and adult rats." Alcohol (Fayetteville, N.Y.) 48, no. 4 (June 2014): 353-360. Full Text
- Klein, RC, Saini, S, Risher, M-L, Acheson, SK, Fleming, RL, Sexton, HG, Swartzwelder, HS, and Moore, SD. "Regional-specific effects of ovarian hormone loss on synaptic plasticity in adult human APOE targeted replacement mice." PLoS ONE 9, no. 4 (January 2014): e94071-. Full Text
- Fleming, RL, Li, Q, Risher, M-L, Sexton, HG, Moore, SD, Wilson, WA, Acheson, SK, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Binge-pattern ethanol exposure during adolescence, but not adulthood, causes persistent changes in GABAA receptor-mediated tonic inhibition in dentate granule cells." Alcohol Clin Exp Res 37, no. 7 (July 2013): 1154-1160. Full Text Link to Item
- Acheson, SK, Bearison, C, Risher, ML, Abdelwahab, SH, Wilson, WA, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Effects of acute or chronic ethanol exposure during adolescence on behavioral inhibition and efficiency in a modified water maze task." Plos One 8, no. 10 (January 2013): e77768-null. Full Text
- Li, Q, Fleming, RL, Acheson, SK, Madison, RD, Moore, SD, Risher, ML, Wilson, WA, and Swartzwelder, HS. "Long-Term Modulation of A-Type K+ Conductances in Hippocampal CA1 Interneurons in Rats After Chronic Intermittent Ethanol Exposure During Adolescence or Adulthood." Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 37, no. 12 (January 1, 2013): 2074-2085. Full Text
- Risher, M-L, Fleming, RL, Boutros, N, Semenova, S, Wilson, WA, Levin, ED, Markou, A, Swartzwelder, HS, and Acheson, SK. "Long-term effects of chronic intermittent ethanol exposure in adolescent and adult rats: radial-arm maze performance and operant food reinforced responding." Plos One 8, no. 5 (January 2013): e62940-null. Full Text
- Swartzwelder, NA, Risher, ML, Abdelwahab, SH, D'Abo, A, Rezvani, AH, Levin, ED, Wilson, WA, Swartzwelder, HS, and Acheson, SK. "Effects of ethanol, Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol, or their combination on object recognition memory and object preference in adolescent and adult male rats." Neurosci Lett 527, no. 1 (October 3, 2012): 11-15. Full Text Link to Item
- Middlemore-Risher, M-L, Adam, B-L, Lambert, NA, and Terry, AV. "Effects of Chlorpyrifos and Chlorpyrifos-Oxon on the Dynamics and Movement of Mitochondria in Rat Cortical Neurons." Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 339, no. 2 (November 1, 2011): 341-349. Full Text
- Terry, A, Buccafusco, J, Gearhart, D, Beck, W, Middlemore-Risher, M-L, Truan, J, Schwarz, G, Xu, M, Bartlett, M, Kutiyanawala, A, and Pillai, A. "Repeated, intermittent exposures to diisopropylfluorophosphate in rats: protracted effects on cholinergic markers, nerve growth factor-related proteins, and cognitive function." Neuroscience 176 (March 2011): 237-253. Full Text
- Middlemore-Risher, M, Buccafusco, J, Terry, and, A. "Repeated exposures to low-level chlorpyrifos results in impairments in sustained attention and increased impulsivity in rats." Neurotoxicology and Teratology 32, no. 4 (July 2010): 415-424. Full Text
- Ergul, A, Elgebaly, MM, Middlemore, M-L, Li, W, Elewa, H, Switzer, JA, Hall, C, Kozak, A, and Fagan, SC. "Increased hemorrhagic transformation and altered infarct size and localization after experimental stroke in a rat model type 2 diabetes." BMC Neurology 7, no. 1 (December 2007). Full Text
- Terry, A, Gearhart, D, Warner, S, Hohnadel, E, Middlemore, M-L, Zhang, G, Bartlett, M, and Mahadik, S. "Protracted effects of chronic oral haloperidol and risperidone on nerve growth factor, cholinergic neurons, and spatial reference learning in rats." Neuroscience 150, no. 2 (December 2007): 413-424. Full Text
- Terry, AV, Gearhart, DA, Beck, WD, Truan, JN, Middlemore, M-L, Williamson, LN, Bartlett, MG, Prendergast, MA, Sickles, DW, and Buccafusco, JJ. "Chronic, Intermittent Exposure to Chlorpyrifos in Rats: Protracted Effects on Axonal Transport, Neurotrophin Receptors, Cholinergic Markers, and Information Processing." Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 322, no. 3 (June 1, 2007): 1117-1128. Full Text
- Terry, A, Gearhart, D, Warner, S, Zhang, G, Bartlett, M, Middlemore, M-L, Beck, W, Mahadik, S, and Waller, J. "Oral haloperidol or risperidone treatment in rats: Temporal effects on nerve growth factor receptors, cholinergic neurons, and memory performance." Neuroscience 146, no. 3 (May 2007): 1316-1332. Full Text
- Gearhart, DA, Middlemore, M-L, and Terry, AV. "ELISA methods to measure cholinergic markers and nerve growth factor receptors in cortex, hippocampus, prefrontal cortex, and basal forebrain from rat brain." Journal of Neuroscience Methods 150, no. 2 (January 2006): 159-173. Full Text
- Hernandez, CM. "Comparison of Galantamine and Donepezil for Effects on Nerve Growth Factor, Cholinergic Markers, and Memory Performance in Aged Rats." Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 316, no. 2 (October 6, 2005): 679-694. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
Advising & Mentoring
Available to mentor:
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.