Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Interim Chair in the Department of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2012
- Chairman, Department of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2007 - 2011
- Assistant Professor of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2001 - 2004
Awards & Honors
- Fellow. National Humanities Center. 2004
- Fellowships for University Teachers. National Endowment for the Humanities. 2004
- ACLS Fellows (ACLS/SSRC/NEH International and Area Studies Fellowships and ACLS/New York Public Library Fellowships). American Council of Learned Societies. 2000
- Summer Stipends Awards. National Endowment for the Humanities. 1999
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Jaffe, R. Selected Works of D. T. Suzuki, Zen Works. Edited by RM Jaffe. University of California Press, 2014.
- Jaffe, RM. Neither Monk nor Layman: Clerical Marriage in Modern Japanese Buddhism. Princeton University Press, December 2000.
- Jaffe, RM. "Neither Monk nor Layman: Conclusions." In Budda no henbo: kosaku suru kindai Bukkyo, edited by S Fumihiko. Hozokan, February 2014.
- Jaffe, RM. "Introduction: Zen and Japanese Culture." In Zen and Japanese Culture, vii-xxviii. Princeton University Press, 2010.
- Jaffe, RM. "Seeking Sakyamuni: Travel and the Reconstruction of Japanese Buddhism." In Defining Buddhism(s) : a reader. January 2008.
- Jaffe, RM. "Meat Eating in Japanese Buddhism." In Going Forth, edited by W Bodiford,255-275. University of Hawaii Press, 2005.
- Jaffe, RM. "Ungo Kiyo’s Ojoyoka and Rinzai Zen Orthodoxy." In Approaching the Land of Bliss: Religious Praxis in the Cult of Amitabha, edited by RK Payne and KK Tanaka. Kuroda Institute Book/University of Hawaii Press, 2003.
- Jaffe, RM. "“Inoue Enryo”; “Murakami Sensho”; “Temple Families”; “Meiji New Buddhism”; “D. T. Suzuki.”." In Encyclopedia of Buddhism, edited by J Robert E Buswell. Macmillan, 2003.
- Jaffe, RM. "Ima Daisetsu o yomu: Zen and Japanese Culture 2010 ban jobun (Accepted)." Shiso (Thought) 1080 (2014).
- Jaffe, R. "Religion and Japanese Empire." Japanese Journal of Religious Studies 37 (2010). (Journal issue)
- Jaffe, RM. "Pure Land Buddhism in Modern Japanese Culture by Elisabetta Porcu." Journal of Japanese Studies 36 (2010): 198-202. (Review)
- Jaffe, R. "Buddhist Material Culture, ’Indianism,’ and the Construction of Pan-Asianism in Prewar Japan." Tohoku shukyogaku 4 (December 2009): 157-189. (Academic Article)
- Jaffe, RM. "Review of Temple Buddhism by Steven Covell." H-Buddhism (July 2007). (Review)
- Jaffe, RM. "Buddhist material culture, "indianism," and the construction of pan-Asian Buddhism in prewar Japan." Material Religion 2, no. 3 (December 1, 2006): 266-293.
- Jaffe, RM. "Buddhist Material Culture, “Indianism,” and the Construction of Pan-Asian Buddhism in Pre-War Japan." Material Religion 21 (November 2006): 266–293-266–293. (Academic Article)
- Jaffe, RM. "Review of Buddhist Missionaries in the Era of Globalization, edited by Linda Learman." Journal of Contemporary Religion 21 (May 2006): 275-277. (Review)
- Jaffe, RM. "Seeking Shakyamuni: Travel and the Reconstruction of Japanese Buddhism." Journal of Japanese Studies 30 (2004): 65–96-65–96. (Academic Article)
- Jaffe, RM. "Review of Obaku Zen." Journal of Asian Studies 62 (2003): 274-275. (Review)
- Teaching & Mentoring
- RELIGION 324: Zen Buddhism: A Survey from Its Origins to the Present Day 2018
- RELIGION 999: Special Readings 2018
- AMES 315: Buddhist Meditation in Transformation: Historical, Scientific, and Medical Perspectives 2017
- AMES 580S: History of Buddhist and Christian Interactions 2017
- RELIGION 320S: Modern Buddhism in Asia and America 2017
- RELIGION 323: Buddhist Meditation in Transformation: Historical, Scientific, and Medical Perspectives 2017
- RELIGION 580S: History of Buddhist and Christian Interactions 2017
- RELIGION 916: Topics in the Study of Japanese Religions 2017
- AMES 114: Buddhism 2016
- RELIGION 120: Buddhism 2016
- RELIGION 323S: Buddhist Meditation: Cultivation Practices and Psychology 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Global Waves on Ōmura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron (Vimuttimagga). December 3, 2013 2013
- Kawaguchi Ekai, Globalization, and the Promotion of Lay Buddhism in Japan. October 5, 2013 2013
- Global Waves on Omura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron. September 15, 2012 2012
- Global Waves on Omura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron. September 13, 2012 2012
- Respondent: The Role of the Laity in the Formation of Modern Buddhism. June 23, 2011 2011
- Response to Transnationalism and Japanese Buddhist Modernity Panel. September 27, 2009 2009
- Sōtō Zen for Export. August 28, 2009 2009
- Kawaguchi Ekai and the Globalization of Lay Buddhism in Japan. October 31, 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
- Respondent : Panel Respondent AAR Annual Meeting. November 18, 2012 2012
- Journal of Global Buddhism. October 2012 2012
- Reviewer : Oxford University Press. August 2012 2012
- Respondent : Panel Respondent Association for Asian Studies. March 15, 2012 2012
- Panel Respondent: India in the Asian Buddhist Imagination : Panel Respondent at National Conference. November 21, 2011 2011
- Editorial Board Member : Journal of Japanese Religions. August 1, 2011 2011
- Editorial Board Member : Journal of Global Buddhism. January 1, 2011 2011
- Reviewer : Harvard East Asia Monographs. December 14, 2010 2010
- Reviewer : Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. December 14, 2010 2010
- AAR Buddhism Unit Steering Committee. January 1, 2010 2010
- Editorial Board Member : Monumenta Nipponica. 2010 - January 1, 2013 2010 - 2013
- Committee Member : AAR Buddhism Group Steering Committee. December 1, 2009 2009
- Editorial Board Member : Material Religion. January 17, 2008 - December 31, 2011 2008 - 2011
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.