Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director of the Asian Pacific Studies Institute, Asian Pacific Studies Institute, Office of Area Studies and International Studies 2018 - 2020
- Associate Professor of Religious Studies, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2004 - 2019
- Interim Chair in the Department of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2012
- Chairman, Department of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2007 - 2011
- Assistant Professor of Religion, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2001 - 2004
Awards & Honors
- Fellow. National Humanities Center. 2004
- Fellowships for University Teachers. National Endowment for the Humanities. 2004
- ACLS Fellows (ACLS/SSRC/NEH International and Area Studies Fellowships and ACLS/New York Public Library Fellowships). American Council of Learned Societies. 2000
- Summer Stipends Awards. National Endowment for the Humanities. 1999
- Publications & Artistic Works
Jaffe, Richard M. Seeking Sakyamuni South Asia in the Formation of Modern Japanese Buddhism. Buddhism and Modernity, 2019.
Jaffe, R. Selected Works of D. T. Suzuki, Zen Works. Edited by Richard M. Jaffe. University of California Press, 2014.
Jaffe, Richard M. Neither Monk nor Layman: Clerical Marriage in Modern Japanese Buddhism. Princeton University Press, 2000.
Jaffe, Richard. “PURE LAND, REAL WORLD: Modern Buddhism, Japanese Leftists, and the Utopian Imagination.” Pacific Affairs 92, no. 1 (March 1, 2019): 131–33.Link to Item
Jaffe, Richard. “D. T. Suzuki and the Two Cranes: American Philanthropy and Suzuki’s Global Agenda.” Matsugaoka Bunko Kenkyū Nenpō 32 (2018): 29–58.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Ima Daisetsu o yomu: Zen and Japanese Culture 2010 ban jobun.” Shiso (Thought) 1080 (2014).
Jaffe, R. “Religion and Japanese Empire.” Japanese Journal of Religious Studies 37 (2010).
Jaffe, Richard M. “Pure Land Buddhism in Modern Japanese Culture by Elisabetta Porcu.” Journal of Japanese Studies 36 (2010): 198–202.
Jaffe, Richard. “Buddhist Material Culture, ’Indianism,’ and the Construction of Pan-Asianism in Prewar Japan.” Tohoku Shukyogaku 4 (December 2009): 157–89.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Review of Temple Buddhism by Steven Covell.” H Buddhism, July 2007.
Jaffe, R. M. “Buddhist material culture, "indianism," and the construction of pan-Asian Buddhism in prewar Japan.” Material Religion 2, no. 3 (December 1, 2006): 266–93.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Buddhist Material Culture, “Indianism,” and the Construction of Pan-Asian Buddhism in Pre-War Japan.” Material Religion 21 (November 2006): 266–293.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Review of Buddhist Missionaries in the Era of Globalization, edited by Linda Learman.” Journal of Contemporary Religion 21 (May 2006): 275–77.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Seeking Shakyamuni: Travel and the Reconstruction of Japanese Buddhism.” Journal of Japanese Studies 30 (2004): 65–96.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Review of Obaku Zen.” Journal of Asian Studies 62 (2003): 274–75.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Neither Monk nor Layman: Conclusions.” In Budda No Henbo: Kosaku Suru Kindai Bukkyo, edited by Sueki Fumihiko. Hozokan, 2014.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Introduction: Zen and Japanese Culture.” In Zen and Japanese Culture, vii–xxviii. Princeton University Press, 2010.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Seeking Sakyamuni: Travel and the Reconstruction of Japanese Buddhism.” In Defining Buddhism(s) : A Reader, 2008.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Meat Eating in Japanese Buddhism.” In Going Forth, edited by William Bodiford, 255–75. University of Hawaii Press, 2005.
Jaffe, Richard M. “Ungo Kiyo’s Ojoyoka and Rinzai Zen Orthodoxy.” In Approaching the Land of Bliss: Religious Praxis in the Cult of Amitabha, edited by Richard K. Payne and Kenneth K. Tanaka. Kuroda Institute Book/University of Hawaii Press, 2003.
Jaffe, Richard M. ““Inoue Enryo”; “Murakami Sensho”; “Temple Families”; “Meiji New Buddhism”; “D. T. Suzuki.”.” In Encyclopedia of Buddhism, edited by Jr Robert E Buswell. Macmillan, 2003.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- AMES 114: Buddhism 2020
- AMES 315S: Buddhist Meditation: Cultivation Practices and Psychology 2020
- RELIGION 120: Buddhism 2020
- RELIGION 323S: Buddhist Meditation: Cultivation Practices and Psychology 2020
- RELIGION 999: Special Readings 2020
- AMES 581S: Pan-Asianism, Religion, and the State in Modern Asia 2019
- EAS 700: East Asian Studies Core Course: Fields and Methods 2019
- RELIGION 291: Independent Study 2019
- RELIGION 391: Independent Study 2019
- RELIGION 581S: Pan-Asianism, Religion, and the State in Modern Asia 2019
- RELIGION 700: East Asian Studies Core Course: Fields and Methods 2019
- RELIGION 324: Zen Buddhism: A Survey from Its Origins to the Present Day 2018
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Global Waves on Ōmura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron (Vimuttimagga). December 3, 2013 2013
- Kawaguchi Ekai, Globalization, and the Promotion of Lay Buddhism in Japan. October 5, 2013 2013
- Global Waves on Omura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron. September 15, 2012 2012
- Global Waves on Omura Bay: The English Translation of the Gedatsu dōron. September 13, 2012 2012
- Respondent: The Role of the Laity in the Formation of Modern Buddhism. June 23, 2011 2011
- Response to Transnationalism and Japanese Buddhist Modernity Panel. September 27, 2009 2009
- Sōtō Zen for Export. August 28, 2009 2009
- Kawaguchi Ekai and the Globalization of Lay Buddhism in Japan. October 31, 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
- Respondent : Panel Respondent AAR Annual Meeting. November 18, 2012 2012
- Journal of Global Buddhism. October 2012 2012
- Reviewer : Oxford University Press. August 2012 2012
- Respondent : Panel Respondent Association for Asian Studies. March 15, 2012 2012
- Panel Respondent: India in the Asian Buddhist Imagination : Panel Respondent at National Conference. November 21, 2011 2011
- Editorial Board Member : Journal of Japanese Religions. August 1, 2011 2011
- Editorial Board Member : Journal of Global Buddhism. January 1, 2011 2011
- Reviewer : Harvard East Asia Monographs. December 14, 2010 2010
- Reviewer : Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. December 14, 2010 2010
- AAR Buddhism Unit Steering Committee. January 1, 2010 2010
- Editorial Board Member : Monumenta Nipponica. 2010 - January 1, 2013 2010 - 2013
- Committee Member : AAR Buddhism Group Steering Committee. December 1, 2009 2009
- Editorial Board Member : Material Religion. January 17, 2008 - December 31, 2011 2008 - 2011
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.