Education, Training, & Certifications
- M.B.B.S., Stanley Medical College (India) 1974
Duke Appointment History
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Sibona, A, Gollapalli, V, Parithivel, V, and Kannan, U. "Case Report: De Garengeot's hernia. Appendicitis within femoral hernia. Diagnosis and surgical management." International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 27 (January 2016): 162-164. Full Text
- Kannan, U, Reddy, VSK, Mukerji, AN, Parithivel, VS, Shah, AK, Gilchrist, BF, and Farkas, DT. "Laparoscopic vs open partial colectomy in elderly patients: Insights from the American College of Surgeons - National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database." World Journal of Gastroenterology 21, no. 45 (December 2015): 12843-12850. Full Text
- Govindarajan, R, Shah, A, Reddy, VS, Parithivel, V, Ravikumar, S, and Livingstone, D. "Improving the functionality of intra-operative nerve monitoring during thyroid surgery: is lidocaine an option?." Journal of Clinical Medicine Research 7, no. 4 (April 2015): 282-285. Full Text
- John, MM, Malekpour, F, Parithivel, V, and Goyal, V. "Giant pedunculated hemangioma of the liver." The American Surgeon 80, no. 9 (September 2014): e259-e260.
- Raman, SR, Parithivel, VS, and Cosgrove, JM. "Emergency subtotal colectomy in a Jehovah's Witness with massive lower gastrointestinal bleeding: challenges encountered and lessons learned." American Journal of Critical Care : an Official Publication, American Association of Critical Care Nurses 20, no. 2 (March 2011): 179-178. Full Text
- Reed, M, Cosgrove, JM, Cindrich, R, Parithivel, VS, Gad, Y, Bangalore, M, Uzor, R, Kalim, J, Segura, R, and Albu, E. "Ten years later: a single hospital experience with malignancy in HIV/AIDS." Journal of Surgical Oncology 102, no. 3 (September 2010): 282-286. Full Text
- Raman, SR, Parithivel, VS, and Niazi, M. "Image of the month. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular transformation of the spleen." Archives of Surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960) 145, no. 2 (February 2010): 205-206. Full Text
- Nandipati, K, Parithivel, V, and Niazi, M. "Schistosomiasis: a rare cause of acute appendicitis in the African American population in the United States." The American Surgeon 74, no. 3 (March 2008): 221-223.
- Pokala, N, Sadhasivam, S, Kiran, RP, and Parithivel, V. "Complicated appendicitis--is the laparoscopic approach appropriate? A comparative study with the open approach: outcome in a community hospital setting." The American Surgeon 73, no. 8 (August 2007): 737-741.
- Varadarajalu, L, Khaneja, S, Parithivel, V, Niazi, M, Latha, M, and Fuentes, GD. "Adenocarcinoma masquerading as neurofibroma in a patient with von recklinghausen disease." Journal of Bronchology 14, no. 1 (January 1, 2007): 45-47. Full Text
- Blanco, RG, Parithivel, VS, Shah, AK, Gumbs, MA, Schein, M, and Gerst, PH. "Abdominal wall endometriomas." American Journal of Surgery 185, no. 6 (June 2003): 596-598. Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Schein, M, and Gerst, PH. "Colonoscopy-assisted 'trephine' sigmoid colostomy." Digestive Surgery 20, no. 2 (January 2003): 103-106. Full Text
- Girishkumar, HT, Khaneja, SC, Parithivel, VS, Gerst, PH, and Berroya, R. "Use of endovascular stents in the peripheral circulation." Surgical Technology International 10 (September 2002): 168-175. (Review)
- Parithivel, VS, Sajja, SBS, Basu, A, Schein, M, and Gerst, PH. "Delayed presentation of splenic injury: still a common syndrome." International Surgery 87, no. 2 (April 2002): 120-124.
- Patel, YD, Sarwar, ZU, Morehouse, HT, and Parithivel, VS. "Radiological management of an inoperable cholangiocarcinoma arising from a choledochal cyst." Clinical Radiology 56, no. 6 (June 2001): 503-505. Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Niazi, M, Shah, AK, Ha, JP, Mailapur, RV, Kaul, K, Remey, P, and Albu, E. "Gastric stromal tumor." The American Surgeon 66, no. 7 (July 2000): 689-691.
- Parithivel, VS, Niazi, M, Malhotra, AK, Swaminathan, K, Kaul, A, and Shah, AK. "Paraganglioma of the pancreas: literature review and case report." Digestive Diseases and Sciences 45, no. 2 (February 2000): 438-441. (Review) Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Yousuf, AM, Albu, E, Kaul, A, and Aydinalp, N. "Predictors of the severity of acute pancreatitis in patients with HIV infection or AIDS." Pancreas 19, no. 2 (August 1999): 133-136. Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Gerst, PH, Banerjee, S, Parikh, V, and Albu, E. "Acute acalculous cholecystitis in young patients without predisposing factors." The American Surgeon 65, no. 4 (April 1999): 366-368.
- Shah, AK, Girishkumar, HT, Parithivel, VS, Pai, NB, Rubinstein, J, and Gerst, PH. "Stereotactic needle breast biopsy: A review of current status and practice." Primary Care Update for Ob/Gyns 6, no. 5 (January 1, 1999): 147-152. Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Parikh, VA, Kshettry, VR, Gerst, PH, and Joseph, S. "Mucinous cystic neoplasm of the pancreas." New York State Journal of Medicine 92, no. 11 (November 1992): 503-504. (Letter)
- Parithivel, VS, Rosario, PG, and Subbarao, M. "Shifting blue hue sign." Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 36, no. 4 (July 1990): 422-null. (Letter) Full Text
- Pai, NB, Subba Rao, MJ, Parithivel, V, and Gerst, PH. "Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation Caused by an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm—A Case Report." Vascular and Endovascular Surgery 24, no. 6 (January 1, 1990): 432-435. Full Text
- Parithivel, VS, Pandya, GP, and Gerst, PH. "Which one first? Barium enema or colonoscopy." The American Surgeon 55, no. 7 (July 1989): 417-420.
- Parithivel, VS, Shah, S, and Gerst, PH. "Extrapleural hematoma following infraclavicular subclavian vein catheterization." New York State Journal of Medicine 88, no. 6 (June 1988): 332-333. (Letter)
- Mukerji, AN, Shah, A, and Parithivel, VS. "Retrograde Intussusception after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass." September 2016.
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.