The generation of ordered sets of cosmid DNA clones from human chromosome region 11p.

Published

Journal Article

We describe progress in a continuing project aimed at the generation of an overlapping cosmid DNA clone map of the short arm of human chromosome 11. The automated procedures used to prepare DNA samples and the computerized data collection and recording systems are described. We also demonstrate the use of the clones as reagents for the rapid isolation of genomic DNAs containing smaller probed regions. We have isolated approximately 4700 human cosmid DNA clones from mouse/human hybrid cell lines that contain predominantly human chromosomal region 11p. Of the DNA in the cell lines, 60% is derived from this chromosomal region, and the remaining 40% is derived from regions of chromosomes 3, 19, and 20. A total of 4159 clones have been fingerprinted to identify potential overlaps, and we have developed 535 sets ("contigs"). Using random modeling, it is estimated that 65% of 11p must be contained in the analyzed cosmids. The database of clones has been used to identify single or overlapping clones from noncosmid DNA probes. Examples are presented. It is proposed that cosmid reference filters be distributed to requesting laboratories.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Heding, IJ; Ivens, AC; Wilson, J; Strivens, M; Gregory, S; Hoovers, JM; Mannens, M; Redeker, B; Porteous, D; van Heyningen, V

Published Date

  • May 1992

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 13 / 1

Start / End Page

  • 89 - 94

PubMed ID

  • 1577496

Pubmed Central ID

  • 1577496

International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)

  • 0888-7543

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1016/0888-7543(92)90206-8

Language

  • eng

Conference Location

  • United States