Career History in Finance
- Current: Associate Research Professor
- 2021-2022: Chief Risk Officer of Opnmtions Clearing Corporation
- 2018-2020: Chief Risk Officer of Guardian Life Insurance Co.
- 2010-2017: Chief Risk Officer of Global Markets, State Street Co.
- 2005-2010: Chief Risk Officer of Americas, Nomura Holding Inc.
- 1996-2004: SVP, Treasury and Market Risk, PNC Financial Services Inc.
- 1991-1996: Held posdoctoral and assistant professorship positions at Texas A&M University, Purdue University, SUNY-Stony Brook, and University of Texas
- 1986-1990: James B. Duke Fellow, Duke University
- 1991 - PhD in Math, Duke University
- 1985 - BS in Math, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
David is currently a faculty member of Data Science and Math Department at Duke University. His teaching and research have been focusing on the applications of Data Science and other analytical methods to Finance business and risk management.
Previously, David had over 25+ years of industry experience in Financial Services in the US. He had worked for a wide range of financial firms including commercial bank, investment bank, custodian/trust bank, insurance company and central clearing corporation. David has deep experiences in building and leading risk management organizations as the Chief Risk Offices for a few global companies including Nomura Americas and State Street Global Markets. In those capacities, he was responsible for all aspects of risk management strategies and executions. He also has extensive experience in working with CEO, board of directors as well as global regulators.
While he worked for State Street Corporation, he was the Chief Risk Officer for the firm’s two major business divisions, State Street Global Markets and Global Exchange, as well as the Global Head of Market Risk for the firm. The combined divisions provide Sales & Trading, Securities Lending, Prime Brokerage, Electronic Trading & Clearing, Credit & Lending, as well as Data & Analytic Solutions to owners and managers of institutional assets. David was responsible for the overall risk management strategy and its execution of the divisions globally across Americas, EMEA and APAC. David has led the effort to build out risk management framework and infrastructures on a global basis to meet regulatory requirements and support significant business expansions. He also provided leadership in helping State Street successfully manage through significant regulatory challenges and several market dislocations during his tenure.
From 2005 to 2010, David had served as the Chief Risk Officer of the Americas Region for Nomura Holding, a large global Japanese investment bank, with responsibilities for all aspects of risk management oversight that included Market, Credit and Operational Risks. David and his team played an instrumental role in helping Nomura successfully manage through the global financial crisis in 2008 and enabled the firm to acquire a large part of Lehman Brothers, as well as significantly expand its franchise in the Americas and globally. He also served as the Global Head of Portfolio Risk for Nomura with responsibility for aggregating and analyzing exposures globally across regions and asset classes to identify and mitigate concentration risk.