Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Yale University 2005
Duke Appointment History
- Associate Professor in the Department of African and African American Studies, African and African American Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2015 - 2017
- Associate Professor in the Program of Gender, Sexuality & Feminist Studies, Gender, Sexuality & Feminist Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2014 - 2017
- Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of History, History, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2013 - 2015
- Assistant Professor of History, History, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2007 - 2012
In the News
NOV 8, 2018
NOV 1, 2018 Duke University Libraries
DEC 29, 2017 Politico
AUG 12, 2017 BBC Radio 4
APR 11, 2017 Houston Matters, Houston Public Radio
APR 7, 2017 PBS The American Experience
JAN 26, 2016 NJ.com, The Times of Trenton
JUL 2, 2014
MAY 20, 2014
Awards & Honors
- Voting Rights in the United States awarded by National Endowment for the Humanities 2017 - 2019
- Challenging the Master Narrative of the Civil Rights Movement awarded by National Endowment for the Humanities 2017 - 2018
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Lentz-Smith, A. Freedom Struggles: African Americans & World War I. Harvard University Press, 2009. (Monograph)
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Indispensable histories." Oregon Historical Quarterly 118, no. 2 (June 1, 2017). (Review) Full Text
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Passports to adventure: African Americans and the US security project." American Quarterly 68, no. 3 (September 1, 2016): 537-543. (Review) Full Text
- Lentz-Smith, A. ""Charles Young," "Brownsville Riot," "W. E. B. Du Bois"." In Encyclopedia of War and American Society, edited by P Karsten and E al. Sage Publications, 2005.
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Promise and Peril: America at the Dawn of a Global Age. By Christopher Nichols." Diplomatic History (2014).
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of Kimberley L. Phillips. War! What Is It Good For? Black Freedom Struggles and the Military from World War II to Iraq." Pacific Historical Review (August 2013).
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of Chad Williams. Torchbearerers of Democracy: African American Soldiers and the World War I Era." North Carolina Historical Review 88 (October 2011).
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Website Review of Politics of a Massacre: Discovering Wilmington 1898. Created and maintained by Eastern Carolina University." Journal of American History 98 (June 2011): 309-309.
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of Elizabeth Smith-Pryor. Property Rites: The Rhinelander Trial, Passing, and the Protection of White Supremacy." Journal of Interdisciplinary History 41 (2011): 478-480.
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of David Levering Lews, Michael Nash, and Daniel Leab, eds. Red Activists and Black Freedom: James and Esther Jackson and the Long Civil Rights Movement." Journal of American Studies 44 (November 2010): 809-810.
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of Janet Hudson. Entangled by White Supremacy: Reform in World War I-Era South Carolina." Journal of Southern History 76 (August 2010): 770-771.
- Lentz-Smith, A. "Book Review of Kate Dossett, Bridging Race Divides: Black Nationalism, Feminism and Integration in the United States, 1896-1935." North Carolina Historical Review 86 (January 2009).
- Teaching & Mentoring
- AAAS 89S: First-Year Seminar 2019
- HISTORY 89S: First-Year Seminar 2019
- HISTORY 394: Research Independent Study 2019
- HISTORY 702S: Research Seminar in History 2019
- HISTORY 791: Reading Topics: Independent Study 2019
- HISTORY 792: Reading Topics-Independent Study 2019
- AAAS 243: The Civil Rights Movement 2018
- AAAS 451S: Capstone Seminar: African Americans and the World 2018
- HISTORY 342: The Making of Modern America: The United States from 1898 to 1945 2018
- HISTORY 348: The Civil Rights Movement 2018
- HISTORY 484S: Capstone Seminar: African Americans and the World 2018
- RIGHTS 348: The Civil Rights Movement 2018
- AAAS 390S: Special Topics 2017
- GSF 390S: Special Topics in Women's Studies 2017
- HISTORY 390S: Topics in History Seminar 2017
- HISTORY 393: Research Independent Study 2017
- HISTORY 790S-04: Topics in North American History 2017
- HOUSECS 59: House Course 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Remembering World War I: The Battlefield and Beyond. Double Victory: The African-American Military Experience. National Museum of African-American History and Culture. May 25, 2017 2017
- African-American Soldiers During World War I. American History TV. C-Span 3. April 2017 2017
- A Most Peculiar Institution: Slavery, Jim Crow, and the American University Today. Massachusetts Historical Society. November 21, 2016 2016
- Grand Strategy and the Problem of Race. Rethinking Grand Strategy Conference. Oregon State University. May 2016 2016
- "The Laws Have Hurt Me:" State Violence and the Rebirth of White Supremacy. Dunbar-Stone Lecture. University of North Carolina . April 2016 2016
- Unfinished Revolutions: Black Lives, State Violence, and the Second Reconstruction. Legacies of Reconstruction. Virginia Tech Center for Civil War Studies. November 2015 2015
- The Long Black Freedom Struggle: African American Soldiers in World War I and Korea. Scholars Roundtable. Library of Congress. March 2014 2014
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. America's Sacred Spaces. 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- Faculty Participant,. Rethinking the History of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era . NEH Summer Teachers' Institute. July 2015 2015
- Presenter: Hidden Histories, Fact or Fiction?. Public Schools Teacher Workshop. North Carolina Civic Education Consortium. November 2014 2014
- Panelist. Veterans Braintrust: A Prelude to the U.S. Commemoration of World War I: Lessons for Iraq and Afghanistan Returning Solders and Their Families. Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Annual Legislative Conference. September 2014 2014
Service to the Profession
- Co-Chair. Program Committee. Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. 2017 2017
- Co-Chair. Committee on Minority Historians. Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. 2016 - 2019 2016 - 2019
- Editorial Board. Modern American History. 2016 2016
- Anonymous Reader for manuscript submitted to Cambridge University Press. 2013 2013
- Anonymous Reader for manuscript submitted to Duke University Press. 2013 2013
- Program Committee, Southern Association of Women Historians Tri-Annual Meeting, 2015. 2013 2013
- Co-Organizer, Triangle Seminar in the History of the Military, War, and Society. 2012 2012
- Laura Romero Book Prize Committee, American Studies Association. 2012 - 2013 2012 - 2013
- Program Committee, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations Annual Meeting. 2012 - 2014 2012 - 2014
- Program Committee, Southern Historical Association Annual Meeting, 2014. 2012 2012
- Anonymous reader for manuscript submitted to University of Pennsylvania press. 2011 2011
- Minority Scholars Committee, American Studies Association. 2011 2011
- Anonymous reader for article submitted to the journal Southern Cultures.. 2010 2010
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.