Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor 2005
Duke Appointment History
In the News
DEC 16, 2015 WUNC
OCT 15, 2015 Albany Times Union
SEP 9, 2015 The New York Times
JUL 10, 2015
DEC 19, 2014 The News & Observer
SEP 4, 2014
MAY 1, 2014
APR 29, 2014 NBC’s “Today”
APR 28, 2014 The New York Times
APR 28, 2014 the New York Times
Awards & Honors
- Project Bright IDEA 3: Nurturing for a Bright Tomorrow awarded by Department of Education 2014 - 2019
- Set, StartREDY, Set, Start! School Readiness for All awarded by Kellogg Foundation 2017 - 2019
- Examining the Consequences of Maternal Incarceration awarded by Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues 2018
- Professional Development for Gifted Behaviors awarded by Care Institute Group, Inc. 2014 - 2017
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Harris, AL, and Robinson, K. The Broken Compass: Parental Involvement with Children’s Education. Harvard University Press, January 6, 2014.
- Harris, AL. Kids Don't Want to Fail. Harvard University Press, 2011.
- Harris, AL, and Robinson, K. "A new framework for understanding parental involvement: Setting the stage for academic success." Rsf 2, no. 5 (September 1, 2016): 186-201. Full Text
- Robinson, K, and Harris, AL. "Racial and social class differences in how parents respond to inadequate achievement: Consequences for children's future achievement." Social Science Quarterly 94, no. 5 (December 1, 2013): 1346-1371. Full Text
- Harris, AL, and Tienda, M. "Hispanics in Higher Education and the Texas Top 10% Law." Race and Social Problems 4, no. 1 (December 1, 2012): 57-67. Full Text
- Harris, AL, and Tienda, M. "Hispanics in Higher Education and the Texas Top Ten Percent Law." Race and Social Problems 4 (2012): 57-67.
- Yates, S, Harris, A, Sabates, R, and Staff, J. "Early occupational aspirations and fractured transitions: A study of entry into 'NEET' status in the UK." Journal of Social Policy 40, no. 3 (July 1, 2011): 513-534. Full Text
- Sabates, R, Harris, AL, and Staff, J. "Ambition gone awry: the long-term socioeconomic consequences of misaligned and uncertain ambitions in adolescence." Social science quarterly 92, no. 4 (January 2011): 959-977.
- Harris, AL, and Marsh, K. "Is a Raceless Identity an Effective Strategy for Academic Success Among Blacks?*." Social Science Quarterly 91, no. 5 (December 2010): 1242-1263. Full Text
- Harris, AL, and Yates, S. "Young People’s Ambition and Future Employment Outcomes in the United Kingdom." Journal of Social Policy (December 2010): 1-22.
- Staff, J, Harris, A, Sabates, R, and Briddell, L. "Uncertainty in early occupational aspirations: Role exploration or aimlessness?." Social Forces 89, no. 2 (December 1, 2010): 659-683. Full Text
- Harris, AL. "The Economic and Educational State of Black Americans in the 21st Century: Should We be Optimistic or Concerned?." Review of Black Political Economy 37, no. 3 (October 5, 2010): 241-252. Full Text
- Harris, A, and Tienda, M. "Minority higher education pipeline: Consequences of changes in college admissions policy in texas." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 627, no. 1 (January 1, 2010): 60-81. Full Text
- Staff, J, Harris, AL, Sabates, R, and Briddell, L. "Uncertainty in Early Occupational Aspirations: Role Exploration or Aimlessness?." Social Forces 89, no. 2 (2010): 659-683. Full Text Link to Item
- Harris, AL, Jamison, KM, and Trujillo, MH. "Disparities in the educational success of immigrants: An assessment of the immigrant effect for Asians and Latinos." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 620, no. 1 (November 1, 2008): 90-114. Full Text
- Harris, AL. "Optimism in the face of despair: Black-white differences in beliefs about school as a means for upward social mobility." Social Science Quarterly 89, no. 3 (September 1, 2008): 608-630. Full Text
- Harris, AL, and Robinson, K. "Schooling behaviors or prior skills? A cautionary tale of omitted variable bias within oppositional culture theory." Sociology of Education 80, no. 2 (January 1, 2007): 139-157. Full Text
- Harris, AL. "I (don't) hate school: Revisiting oppositional culture theory of blacks' resistance to schooling." Social Forces 85, no. 2 (December 1, 2006): 797-834. (Review) Full Text
- Harris, AL, Mahoney, J, and Eccles, J. "Organized Activity Participation, Positive Youth Development and the Over-Scheduling Hypothesis." Social Policy Report 20, no. 4 (2006): 3-30.
- Harris, AL. "I (Don't) Hate School: Revisiting Oppositional Culture Theory of Blacks' Resistance to Schooling." Social Forces 85, no. 2 (2006): 797-834. Full Text Link to Item
- Chavous, TM, Harris, A, Rivas, D, Helaire, L, and Green, L. "Racial stereotypes and gender in context: African Americans at predominantly black and predominantly white colleges." Sex Roles 51, no. 1-2 (July 1, 2004): 1-16.
- Harris, AL. "Black Americans in the 21st Century: Should we be Optimistic or Concerned?." The Review of Black Political Economy 37: 241-252.
- Harris, AL. "Optimism in the Face of Despair: Black-White Differences in Beliefs about School as a Means for Upward Social Mobility." Social Science Quarterly 89: 629-651.
- Harris, AL. "Can Members Of Marginalized Groups Remain Invested In Schooling?: An Assessment From The United States And The United Kingdom." In Education, Justice, and Democracy, edited by DS Allen and R Reich, 101-132. University of Chicago Press, March 4, 2013.
- Harris, AL. "Gender, Perceptions of Opportunity, and Investment in Schooling." In Growing Gaps: Educational Inequality around the World. January 1, 2011. Full Text
- Harris, AL. "Oppositional Culture Theory." In Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development. MacMillan Reference Library, November 2008.
- Harris, AL, and Lacy, K. "Breaking the Class Monolith: Understanding Class Differences in Black Adolescents’ Attachment to Racial Identity." In Social Class: How Does It Work?, edited by D Conley and A Lareau. Russel Sage foundation Press, 2008.
- Harris, A, and Maeda, D. "Power and resistance in contemporary legal education." In Legal Education and the Reproduction of Hierarchy: A Polemic Against the System, 168-184. December 1, 2004.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- SOCIOL 89S: First-Year Seminar 2019
- SOCIOL 293: Research Independent Study for Non-Majors 2019
- SOCIOL 490S-1: Research Seminar: Special Topics 2019
- SOCIOL 333: Quantitative Analysis of Sociological Data 2018
- SOCIOL 496S: Sociology Honors Seminar II 2018
- SOCIOL 495S: Sociology Honors Seminar I 2017
- SOCIOL 690S: Seminar in Selected Topics 2017
- SOCIOL 890: SPECIAL READINGS 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Schooling and Parenting: Implications for Students' Academic Identity. August 2017 - May 2018 2017 - 2018
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Schooling and Parenting: Implications for Students' Academic Identity. August 2016 - May 2017 2016 - 2017
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Project Bright IDEA: Finding Talent and Giftedness in Children of Diverse Backgrounds. August 2015 - May 2016 2015 - 2016
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Project Bright IDEA: Finding Talent and Giftedness in Children of Diverse Backgrounds. August 2013 - May 2014 2013 - 2014
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.