Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
Leadership & Clinical Positions at Duke
Director of Graduate Studies, GSF
Chair of Advisory Board, Minor in Sexuality Studies, GSF, 2016-2017
Social Science representative, Executive Committee of the Arts & Sciences Council, 2016-18;
Director, program in the study of sexualities, 2006-2012
In the News
SEP 15, 2016
AUG 21, 2015
AUG 18, 2015 Vox
Awards & Honors
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Wilson, A. The Intimate Economies of Bangkok: Tomboys, Tycoons, and Avon Ladies in The Global City. University of California, 2004.
- Wilson, A. "Urban Sexualities." In Wiley Blackwell Companion to Urban Anthropology, edited by D Nonini. Wiley Blackwell, 2014.
- Wilson, A. "Intimacy: A Useful Concept for Global Analysis." In The global and the intimate : feminism in our time, edited by G Pratt and V Rosner, 31-56. New York: Columbia University Press, January 1, 2012. Open Access Copy
- Wilson, A. "NGOs as Erotic Sites." In Development, Sexual Rights and Global Governance, edited by A Lind. Routledge, January 2010.
- Wilson, A. "Medical Tourism in Bangkok." In Asian Biotech, edited by A Ong and N Chen. Duke UP, 2010.
- Wilson, A. "Plural Economies and Gendered Resistance in Bangkok." In On the Edges of Development: Cultural Interventions, edited by J Foran, K-K Bhavnani, P Kurian, and D Munshi. Routledge, November 2008.
- Wilson, A. "Feminism: International and Global Institutions." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History. Oxford University Press, 2008. (Chapter)
- Wilson, A. "Diasporic Agents and Trans-Asian Flows in the Making of Asian Modernity: The Case of Thailand." In Everyday Politics of the World Economy, edited by JM Hobson and L Seabrooke, 160-176. Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press, November 15, 2007. Open Access Copy
- Wilson, A. "Thailand and Sex Tourism." In The Palgrave Dictionary of Transnational History. Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
- Wilson, A. "Bangkok, the Bubble City." In Wounded Cities: Destruction and Reconstruction in a Globalized World. 2003.
- Wilson, A. "The Transnational Geography of Sexual Rights." In Truth Claims: Representation and Human Rights, edited by M Bradley and P Petro, 251-265. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 2002. Open Access Copy
- Wilson, A. "Patriarchy in Feminist Theory." In Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women, edited by C Kramarae and D Spender, 1493-1497. 2000.
- Wilson, A. "American Catalogues of Asian Brides." 1988.
- Wilson, A. "The Infrastructure of Intimacy." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 41, no. 2 (January 2016): 247-280. Full Text
- Wilson, A. "Intimität. Eine nützliche kategorie transnationaler analyse." Feministische Studien 32, no. 1 (May 1, 2014): 63-77.
- Wilson, A. "Anthropology and the Radical Philosophy of Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt." Focaal 64 (2012): 3-15. (Academic Article) Open Access Copy
- Wilson, A. "National Economy and Bodily Scales: Medical Tourism in Thailand." Edited by E Roberts and N Scheper-Hughes. Body and Society (2011).
- Wilson, A. "Post-Fordist Desires: The Commodity Aesthetics of Bangkok Sex Shows." FEMINIST LEGAL STUDIES 18, no. 1 (April 2010): 53-67. Full Text Open Access Copy Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "SEX AT THE FORUM: SEXUAL JUSTICE AND THE ALTER-GLOBALIZATION MOVEMENT." Scholar and the Feminist (Barnard) 7 (2010).
- Wilson, A. "Sexuelle Gerechtigkeit und die globalisierungskritische Bewegung." Luxembourg. 1 (2010).
- Wilson, A. "Queer Isles: Review, Tom Boellstorff, THE GAY ARCHIPELEGO." GLQ 14 (2008): 659-663. (Review)
- Wilson, A. "The sacred geography of Bangkok's markets." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF URBAN AND REGIONAL RESEARCH 32, no. 3 (2008): 631-642. Full Text Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Feminism in the space of the world social forum." Journal of International Women's Studies 8, no. 3 (April 2007): 10-27. Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Queering Asia." Intersections 14 (2006). Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Global Politics and the Feminist Question." ebr (electronic book review) (2006). Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Intra-Asian Circuits and the Problem of Global Queer." Conference Archives of the Sexualities, Genders & Rights in Asia 1st International Conference of Asian Queer Studies (2005). Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Nicole Constable, ROMANCE ON THE GLOBAL STAGE." American Anthropologist 106/4 (2004). (Review)
- Wilson, A. "The Empire of Direct Sales and the Making of Thai Entrepreneurs." Critique of Anthropology (1999).
- Wilson, A. "“Report: Lesbian Visibility and Sexual Rights at Beijing”." Signs 22 (1996): 214-218. Open Access Copy
- "The empire debate: Hardt and Negri's anthropological encounter." Edited by A Wilson. Focaal 64 64 (2012). (Special issue) Link to Item
- Wilson, A. "Special Issue: Anthropology and the Radical Political Philosophy of Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt." Edited by A Wilson. Focaal (2012).
- Wilson, A. "Sexual Latitudes: The Erotic Life of Globalization (In preparation)." (2010).
- Wilson, A. "Medical Tourism Project (In preparation)." (2010).
- Teaching & Mentoring
Advising & Mentoring
Available to mentor:
Sponsor, Duke Data+ summer program on the national transgender discrimination survey
Organizer, Transgender Studies & Pedagogy, spring 2017
- Sponsor, Duke Data+ summer program on the national transgender discrimination survey
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Sexual Latitudes. December 1, 2012 2012
- Sexual Latitudes: The Erotic Life of Globalization. December 2, 2011 2011
- Corporate Sexology. September 26, 2011 2011
- Female Erotic Mobility. July 1, 2011 2011
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. April 8, 2011 2011
- NGOs as Erotic Sites. April 7, 2011 2011
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. December 1, 2010 2010
- Empire, Multitude, and Commonwealth: The Anthropology of the Global in Antonio Negri and Michael Hardts' Political Philosophy. November 1, 2010 2010
- The Intimate Economies of Bangkok's Markets. October 22, 2010 2010
- Sexual Latitudes: NGOs as Erotic Sites. October 11, 2010 2010
- Sexual Latitudes: NGOs as Erotic Sites. October 7, 2010 2010
- Keynote: Economies in Motion. April 16, 2010 2010
- Queering Asia. April 9, 2010 2010
- Queering Siam. February 14, 2010 2010
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. February 5, 2010 2010
- Panel Discussant: The fictions of kinship. December 6, 2009 2009
- Region & Sex in Asia. July 1, 2009 2009
- CLAGS International Research Network Inaugural Lecture: Sexual Latitudes: Queer Studies of Global Life. May 3, 2009 2009
- National Economies and Medical Tourism in Thailand. March 27, 2009 2009
- Participant, Medical Migrations Workshop. March 17, 2009 2009
- The erotics of creative destruction: capitalist markets and sexual prospects. February 25, 2009 2009
- Sexual latitudes. February 23, 2009 2009
- Panel Discussant, Governing Sexuality: The Transnational Politics of Intimate Life. February 17, 2009 2009
- Sex/Gender in Thailand. February 11, 2009 2009
- Queering Asia: Intra-Regional Circuits and Sexual Modernity in Urban Southeast Asia. November 23, 2008 2008
- Panel Discussant/ Co-organizer: Erotic Mobilities: Affect, Desire, and National Imaginaries in Women's Cross-Border Sex. November 1, 2008 2008
- Tools of the Trade? The Status of Research Methods in Graduate Women's Studies Programs. June 20, 2008 2008
- NWSA Presidential Session: Postcolonial Sexualities. June 19, 2008 2008
- Sexual Politics and the Spaces of Transnational Feminism. June 13, 2008 2008
- Economy after the Cultural Turn Roundtable. May 22, 2008 2008
- Anti-Globalization and Sexual Politics: Texts, Practice, and History at the World Social Forum. March 10, 2008 2008
- Medical Tourism in Bangkok. February 22, 2008 2008
- Transnational Sexualities. February 22, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
- Co-chair. Association for Queer Anthropology (AQA). AAA. November 2013 - November 2015 2013 - 2015
- Coordinator, Publication Planning Committee. 2012 2012
- Journal Referee. Area Studies, Interdisciplinary, Anthropology, Gender Studies journals. 2012 2012
- Reviewer. 2012 2012
- Discussant : Invited Session: Queer Feminist Futures. November 2011 2011
- Journal Referee. January 14, 2011 2011
- External Reviewer . Program Review, Gay and Lesbian Studies Minor. Bowdoin College. May 2010 2010
- Book ms. review. January 22, 2010 2010
- Reviewer : NEH Anthropology Faculty Fellowship Competition. July 2008 2008
Service to Duke
- Misc. August 1, 2017 2017
Academic & Administrative Activities
Social Science representative, Executive Committee of the Arts & Sciences Council, 2016-18;
Duke University Press Executive Advisory Board 2013-present;
Representative, Arts & Sciences Council, 2013-2015, 2011;
Provost Standing Diversity Committee 2012-13;
Editorial Board, Social Science Magazine, 2008-2012;
Faculty Standing Diversity Committee, 2008 – 2014;
Global Health Arts & Science committee, 2008-2009;
Tenure committee, History Department, 2007
Scholarly Events Organizing
Co-organizer, Transgender Studies & the Humanities, 2016-2017
Organizer, “Counting Justice: The Social Matter of Statistics,” 2016-2017;
Panel Organizer, “Infrastructure of Global Cities”, Global Cities Conference, 2015;
Co-Organizer, “Science Studies as Area Studies” Lecture Series 2013-2014;
Organizer, Annual Queer Theory Lecture, 2010-2013; 2015-present;
Feminist Theory Workshop facilitator, 2010, 2011, 2014;
Organizer, Profiles in Sexuality Research Lecture Series, 2008-2012;
Organizer, Transnational Sexuality Studies Lecture Series, 2008-2009;
Panel Organizer, Franklin Humanities Institute, 2006, 2009; 2010;
Affiliated Faculty, Spaces of Freedom Seminar, 2006-07;
Organizer, Annual Queer Theory Lecture, 2006-2012; Co-organizer, 2015- present
Lectures in Sexuality Studies, 2006-2012;
Co-organizer, Conference on Ethnoporn, 2007
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.