Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
Leadership & Clinical Positions at Duke
Representative, Academic Council, 2019-present
Director of Graduate Studies, GSF, 2013-2020
Member, Executive Advisory Board, Duke University Press, 2014-2018
Chair of Advisory Board, Minor in Sexuality Studies, GSF, 2016-2017
Social Science representative, Executive Committee of the Arts & Sciences Council, 2016-19;
Director, program in the study of sexualities, 2006-2012
In the News
SEP 15, 2016
AUG 21, 2015
AUG 18, 2015 Vox
Awards & Honors
- Publications & Artistic Works
Wilson, A. The Intimate Economies of Bangkok: Tomboys, Tycoons, and Avon Ladies in The Global City. University of California, 2004.
Wilson, A. “Women's sports and the forgotten gender.” Law and Contemporary Problems 80, no. 4 (January 1, 2017): 8–23.
Wilson, A. “The infrastructure of intimacy.” Signs 41, no. 2 (December 1, 2016): 247–80. https://doi.org/10.1086/682919.Full Text
Wilson, A. “Intimität. Eine nützliche kategorie transnationaler analyse.” Feministische Studien 32, no. 1 (May 1, 2014): 63–77. https://doi.org/10.1515/fs-2014-0107.Full Text
Wilson, A. “Anthropology and the radical philosophy of antonio negri and michael hardt.” Focaal, no. 64 (November 30, 2012): 3–15. https://doi.org/10.3167/fcl.2012.640101.Full Text Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “National Economy and Bodily Scales: Medical Tourism in Thailand.” Edited by Elizabeth Roberts and Nancy Scheper-Hughes. Body and Society, 2011.
Wilson, A. “Post-fordist desires: The commodity aesthetics of bangkok sex shows.” Feminist Legal Studies 18, no. 1 (April 1, 2010): 53–67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10691-010-9145-2.Full Text Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “SEX AT THE FORUM: SEXUAL JUSTICE AND THE ALTER-GLOBALIZATION MOVEMENT.” Scholar and the Feminist (Barnard) 7 (2010).
Wilson, A. “Sexuelle Gerechtigkeit und die globalisierungskritische Bewegung.” Luxembourg. 1 (2010).
Wilson, A. “The sacred geography of Bangkok's markets.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 32, no. 3 (September 15, 2008): 631–42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2427.2008.00801.x.Full Text
Wilson, A. “Queer Isles: Review, Tom Boellstorff, THE GAY ARCHIPELEGO.” Glq 14 (2008): 659–63.
Wilson, A. “Feminism in the space of the world social forum.” Journal of International Women’S Studies 8, no. 3 (April 2007): 10–27.Link to Item
Wilson, A. “Queering Asia.” Intersections 14 (2006).Link to Item
Wilson, A. “Global Politics and the Feminist Question.” Ebr (Electronic Book Review), 2006.Link to Item
Wilson, A. “Intra-Asian Circuits and the Problem of Global Queer.” Conference Archives of the Sexualities, Genders & Rights in Asia 1st International Conference of Asian Queer Studies, 2005.Link to Item
Wilson, A. “Nicole Constable, ROMANCE ON THE GLOBAL STAGE.” American Anthropologist 106/4 (2004).
Wilson, A. “The Empire of Direct Sales and the Making of Thai Entrepreneurs.” Critique of Anthropology, 1999.
Wilson, A. ““Report: Lesbian Visibility and Sexual Rights at Beijing”.” Signs 22 (1996): 214–18.Open Access Copy
Wilson, Ara. “Urban Sexualities.” In Wiley Blackwell Companion to Urban Anthropology, edited by Don Nonini. Wiley Blackwell, 2014.
Wilson, A. “Intimacy: A Useful Concept for Global Analysis.” In The Global and the Intimate : Feminism in Our Time, edited by Geraldine Pratt and Victoria Rosner, 31–56. New York: Columbia University Press, 2012.Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “NGOs as Erotic Sites.” In Development, Sexual Rights and Global Governance, edited by Amy Lind. Routledge, 2010.
Wilson, A. “Medical Tourism in Bangkok.” In Asian Biotech, edited by Aihwa Ong and Nancy Chen. Duke UP, 2010.
Wilson, A. “Thailand and Sex Tourism.” In The Palgrave Dictionary of Transnational History, edited by Akira Iriye and Pierre-Yves Saunier. Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
Wilson, A. “Plural economies and the conditions for Refusal: Gendered developments in Bangkok.” In On the Edges of Development: Cultural Interventions, 38–51, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203880449.Full Text
Wilson, A. “Plural Economies and Gendered Resistance in Bangkok.” In On the Edges of Development: Cultural Interventions, edited by John Foran, Kum-Kum Bhavnani, Priya Kurian, and Debashish Munshi. Routledge, 2008.
Wilson, A. “Feminism: International and Global Institutions.” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History. Oxford University Press, 2008.
Wilson, A. “Feminism: International and Global Institutions and Networks.” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History, edited by Bonnie G. Smith. Oxford University Press, 2008.Link to Item
Wilson, A. “Diasporic agents and trans-Asian flows in the making of asian modernity: The case of Thailand.” In Cambridge University Press, 9780521877725:160–76, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511491375.009.Full Text Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “Thailand and Sex Tourism.” In The Palgrave Dictionary of Transnational History. Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
Wilson, A. “Bangkok, the Bubble City.” In Wounded Cities: Destruction and Reconstruction in a Globalized World., 2003.
Wilson, A. “The Transnational Geography of Sexual Rights.” In Truth Claims: Representation and Human Rights, edited by Mark Bradley and Patrice Petro, 251–65. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 2002.Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “Patriarchy in Feminist Theory.” In Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women, edited by Cheris Kramarae and Dale Spender, 3:1493–97, 2000.
Wilson, A. “Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women.” In Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women, edited by Cheris Kramarae and Dale Spender, 3:1493–97. Routledge, 2000.
Wilson, A. “American Catalogues of Asian Brides,” 1988.
Wilson, Ara. “Invited Comments on “Maintenance Space: The Political Authority of Garbage in Kampala, Uganda” by Jacob Doherty.” Current Anthropology. University of Chicago Press, 2019.Open Access Copy
Wilson, A. “Special Issue: Anthropology and the Radical Political Philosophy of Antonio Negri and Michael Hardt.” Edited by Ara Wilson. Focaal, 2012.
Wilson, A. “Sexual Latitudes: The Erotic Life of Globalization (In preparation),” 2010.
Wilson, A. “Medical Tourism Project (In preparation),” 2010.
Wilson, A., ed. “The empire debate: Hardt and Negri's anthropological encounter.” Focaal 64, 2012.Link to Item
- Teaching & Mentoring
- GSF 278: Sex/Gender - Nature/Nurture: Intersections of Biology and Society 2020
- GSF 701S: Foundations in Feminist Theory 2020
- LIT 761S: Foundations in Feminist Theory 2020
- GSF 278: Sex/Gender - Nature/Nurture: Intersections of Biology and Society 2019
- GSF 361: Money, Sex, Power 2019
- GSF 701S: Foundations in Feminist Theory 2019
- GSF 960S: Interdisciplinary Debates (Topics) 2019
- LIT 761S: Foundations in Feminist Theory 2019
- RIGHTS 361: Money, Sex, Power 2019
Advising & Mentoring
PhD Committee Member
Jason Woerner, CA
Joella Bitters, CA
Robert Franco, History
Informal advising to graduate students enrolled in the Certificate of Feminist Studies (e.g. job preparation, publishing agendas, conference applications)
Job letter workshop, Fall 2019
Post-doctoral Fellow mentoring, GSFS
Available to mentor:
- PhD Committee Member
Advisory Board Member, Sexuality Studies Minor, GSF, 2017-present
Organizer, Trans Pedagogy Workshop, 2017
Sponsor, Duke Data+ summer program on the national transgender discrimination survey
Organizer, Transgender Studies & Pedagogy, spring 2017
- Advisory Board Member, Sexuality Studies Minor, GSF, 2017-present
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- On Measure and Care. EPISTEMOLOGIES OF CARE: RETHINKING GLOBAL POLITICAL ECONOMY. Amsterdam Law School. December 5, 2019 2019
- Infrastructures of Inclusion. Inclusionary Practices, Law & Regulation in Europe and Latin America. Universidade do Estado do Amazonas (UEA). September 12, 2019 2019
- Workshop Facilitator. Feminist Theory Workshop. GSFS. March 2019 2019
- Sexual Latitudes. December 1, 2012 2012
- Sexual Latitudes: The Erotic Life of Globalization. December 2, 2011 2011
- Corporate Sexology. September 26, 2011 2011
- Female Erotic Mobility. July 1, 2011 2011
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. April 8, 2011 2011
- NGOs as Erotic Sites. April 7, 2011 2011
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. December 1, 2010 2010
- Empire, Multitude, and Commonwealth: The Anthropology of the Global in Antonio Negri and Michael Hardts' Political Philosophy. November 1, 2010 2010
- The Intimate Economies of Bangkok's Markets. October 22, 2010 2010
- Sexual Latitudes: NGOs as Erotic Sites. October 11, 2010 2010
- Sexual Latitudes: NGOs as Erotic Sites. October 7, 2010 2010
- Keynote: Economies in Motion. April 16, 2010 2010
- Queering Asia. April 9, 2010 2010
- Queering Siam. February 14, 2010 2010
- Medical Tourism in Thailand. February 5, 2010 2010
- Panel Discussant: The fictions of kinship. December 6, 2009 2009
- Region & Sex in Asia. July 1, 2009 2009
- CLAGS International Research Network Inaugural Lecture: Sexual Latitudes: Queer Studies of Global Life. May 3, 2009 2009
- National Economies and Medical Tourism in Thailand. March 27, 2009 2009
- Participant, Medical Migrations Workshop. March 17, 2009 2009
- The erotics of creative destruction: capitalist markets and sexual prospects. February 25, 2009 2009
- Sexual latitudes. February 23, 2009 2009
- Panel Discussant, Governing Sexuality: The Transnational Politics of Intimate Life. February 17, 2009 2009
- Sex/Gender in Thailand. February 11, 2009 2009
- Queering Asia: Intra-Regional Circuits and Sexual Modernity in Urban Southeast Asia. November 23, 2008 2008
- Panel Discussant/ Co-organizer: Erotic Mobilities: Affect, Desire, and National Imaginaries in Women's Cross-Border Sex. November 1, 2008 2008
- Tools of the Trade? The Status of Research Methods in Graduate Women's Studies Programs. June 20, 2008 2008
- NWSA Presidential Session: Postcolonial Sexualities. June 19, 2008 2008
- Sexual Politics and the Spaces of Transnational Feminism. June 13, 2008 2008
- Economy after the Cultural Turn Roundtable. May 22, 2008 2008
- Anti-Globalization and Sexual Politics: Texts, Practice, and History at the World Social Forum. March 10, 2008 2008
- Medical Tourism in Bangkok. February 22, 2008 2008
- Transnational Sexualities. February 22, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
- Bass team member . The Value of Love: Global Perspectives on the Economy of Care. 2019 2019
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Exercise Therapy and Brain Health: Implications for Alzheimer's Disease and Aging. 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- Bass team member. Problem-based Learning to Improve Girls' Math Identity (2018-2019). 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Exercise as a Therapy for Cognitive Aging and Alzheimer's Disease . August 2017 - May 2018 2017 - 2018
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Data+. June 2016 - July 2016 2016
Service to the Profession
- Manuscript Review . Gender & Society, GLQ, . 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- Co-chair. Association for Queer Anthropology (AQA). AAA. November 2013 - November 2015 2013 - 2015
- Coordinator, Publication Planning Committee. 2012 2012
- Journal Referee. Area Studies, Interdisciplinary, Anthropology, Gender Studies journals. 2012 2012
- Reviewer. 2012 2012
- Discussant : Invited Session: Queer Feminist Futures. November 2011 2011
- Journal Referee. January 14, 2011 2011
- External Reviewer . Program Review, Gay and Lesbian Studies Minor. Bowdoin College. May 2010 2010
- Book ms. review. January 22, 2010 2010
- Reviewer : NEH Anthropology Faculty Fellowship Competition. July 2008 2008
Service to Duke
- Academic Council. September 2019 2019
- University Sustainability Committee. September 2019 2019
- University Committee on Certificates. 2019 2019
- Member, Sexuality Studies Minor Advisory Board. Annual Queer Theory Lecture . SXL/GSFS . 2018 - 2020 2018 - 2020
- Trinity Research Committee, Liaison. 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- ECASC. September 2017 - June 2019 2017 - 2019
- Misc. August 1, 2017 2017
Academic & Administrative Activities
Social Science representative, Executive Committee of the Arts & Sciences Council, 2016-18;
Duke University Press Executive Advisory Board 2013-2018;
Dept Representative, Arts & Sciences Council, 2013-2015, 2011;
Provost Standing Diversity Committee 2012-13;
Editorial Board, Social Science Magazine, 2008-2012;
Faculty Standing Diversity Committee, 2008 – 2014;
Global Health Arts & Science committee, 2008-2009;
Tenure committee, History Department, 2007
Scholarly Events Organizing
Co-organizer, Transgender Studies & the Humanities, 2016-2017
Organizer, “Counting Justice: The Social Matter of Statistics,” 2016-2017;
Panel Organizer, “Infrastructure of Global Cities”, Global Cities Conference, 2015;
Co-Organizer, “Science Studies as Area Studies” Lecture Series 2013-2014;
Organizer, Annual Queer Theory Lecture, 2010-2013; 2015-present;
Feminist Theory Workshop facilitator, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2018
Organizer, Profiles in Sexuality Research Lecture Series, 2008-2012;
Organizer, Transnational Sexuality Studies Lecture Series, 2008-2009;
Panel Organizer, Franklin Humanities Institute, 2006, 2009; 2010;
Affiliated Faculty, Spaces of Freedom Seminar, 2006-07;
Organizer, Annual Queer Theory Lecture, 2006-2012; Co-organizer, 2015- present
Lectures in Sexuality Studies, 2006-2012;
Co-organizer, Conference on Ethnoporn, 2007
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.