Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Princeton University 1994
Duke Appointment History
- FDI and the Chinese Model of Economic Development in Comparative Perspectives awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 2005 - 2007
- Institutional Analysis of Global Production Networks: Market Competition and Industrial Upgrading in the Chinese Automob awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 2003 - 2004
- (98-0595) Facism Versus Liberalism: The Transformation of Economic Governance in Germany, Japan, and the United States i awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 1998 - 1999
- (95-0024) Conspicuous Consumption in Contemporary China awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 1994 - 1995
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Bai, G. "INTRODUCTION The Social Construction of Competitive Advantage." CHINA-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL 14, no. 1 (February 2016): 3-18. Link to Item
- Gao, B. "The social construction of competitive advantage." China: an International Journal 14, no. 1 (February 1, 2016): 3-18.
- Gao, B. "“The Informal Economy in the Era of Information Revolution and Globalization: The Shanzhai Cell Phone Industry in China." Chinese Journal of Sociology 31 (March 2011).
- Gao, B. ""The Rubik’s Cube State: A Reconceptualization of Political Change in Contemporary China" (a Chinese translation)." Social Sciences in China (Internal Version) 24 (December 2010): 100-119.
- Gao, B. "“The Obama Administration and the Coming of the Post-Globalization Era.” (in Chinese)." Observation and Exchange (2010): 1-32.
- Gao, B. "“Globalization and the Origins of Japanese Developmentalism"." Comparativ – Zeitschrift für Globalgeschichte und vergleichende Gesellschaftsforschung. 19 (2010): 10-24.
- Gao, B. "The Rubik's Cube state: A reconceptualization of political change in contemporary China." (January 2009): 409-438. Full Text
- Gao, B. "“The International Monetary Order and Domestic Political Economy.” (in Chinese)." Sociological Studies (2009): 1-15.
- Gao, B. ""Institutionalism in Economic Sociology and Several Theoretical Issues Related to China’s Response to the Challenge of Globalization" (in Chinese)." Sociological Studies (2008).
- Gao, B. "The Dollar Standard and the Monetary Risks: The Chinese Situation Seen from the Japanese Experience." The 21st Century Economic Report (February 2006).
- Gao, B. ""Neo-developmentalism Versus Classical Developmentalism: The Chinese Model and the Japanese Model in Comparison" (in Chinese)." Sociological Studies (2006).
- Gao, B. "Globalization, State Building, and China’s Liberalization of FDI (book manuscript)." (2005).
- Gao, B. "The Social Construction of Comparative Advantage: China’s Efforts in Industrial Upgrading (book manuscript)." (2005).
- Gao, B. "State Building and Market Building: The Rise of Industrial Clusters in China (book manuscript)." (2005).
- Gao, B. ""Globalization and the Structural Risks in the Chinese Model of Economic Development" (in Chinese)." Sociological Studies (2005).
- Gao, B. "The origins of nonliberal capitalism: Germany and Japan in comparison." Journal of Economic Literature 42, no. 3 (September 1, 2004): 885-886. (Review) Link to Item
- Gao, B. ""The Exchange Rate of Renminbi and the International Political Economy" (in Chinese)." Strategy and Management (January 2004).
- Gao, B. "The State and Economic Governance: the Rise of the Associational Order of the Economy in the United States, Germany, and Japan in 1930-1945 (book manuscript)." (2003).
- Tetsuji, O, Masahiro, O-F, Kazuo, U, Susumu, I, and Nobuaki, H. "The Capital Distribution in Post Japan: Industrial Policy and Private Banks." Social Science Journal of Japan (2003). (Review)
- Gao, B. "The Japanese economic system and its historical origins." JOURNAL OF JAPANESE STUDIES 28, no. 1 (2002): 206-210. Full Text Link to Item
- Gao, B. "The state and the associational order of the economy: The institutionalization of cartels and trade associations in 1931-45 Japan." SOCIOLOGICAL FORUM 16, no. 3 (September 2001): 409-443. Full Text Link to Item
- Gao, B. "Globalization and Ideology." International Sociology 15, no. 3 (September 2000): 435-453. Full Text
- Gao, B. "The search for national identity and Japanese industrial policy, 1950-1969." Nations and Nationalism 4, no. 2 (April 1, 1998): 227-245. (Review)
- Gao, B. ""The Search for National Identity in Japanese Economic Policy in 1950-1969."." Nations and Nationalism 4 (1998): 227-245.
- Gao, B. ""Efficiency, Culture or Politics: the Institutionalization of Japanese Management."." a special issue of The Sociological Review, titled The Laws of the Market (1998): 88-115.
- Gao, B. ""Three Paradigms in Modern Japanese Industrial Policy" (in Chinese)." The Chinese Social Science Quarterly (1995): 102-111.
- GAO, B. "JAPAN POLITICAL MARKETPLACE - RAMSEYER,JM, ROSENBLUTH,FM." JOURNAL OF ASIAN STUDIES 53, no. 2 (May 1994): 570-572. Full Text Link to Item
- Gao, B. "After ’the Loss of Irrelevance’: Two Ways of Exploring Social Science Theory in Japanese Studies." The Journal of Asia Studies (May 1994): 570-572. (Review)
- GAO, B. "ARISAWA,HIROMI AND HIS THEORY FOR A MANAGED ECONOMY." JOURNAL OF JAPANESE STUDIES 20, no. 1 (1994): 115-153. Full Text Link to Item
- Gao, B. ""Japanese University Presidents View Higher Education Reform—on Sino-Japanese University Presidents Conference" (in Chinese)." Trend of Foreign Education 1 (1986).
- Gao, B. "“The United States is Leading the Third Industrial Revolution” (in Chinese)." The Phoenix Weekly 437 (June 2012): 76-78.
- Gao, B. "“The benefits of Non-separation of State-Corporate Governance.”." The Phoenix Weekly 430 (March 2012): p. 84-p. 84.
- Gao, B. "“The Dollar Standard and the Global Production System: The Institutional Origins of the Global Financial Crisis.”." Accounts: A Newsletter of Economic Sociology. 9 (2010): 6-8.
- Gao, B. "“The Possibility for A Major Change in International Economic Order." China Reform (April 2005).
- Gao, B. "“Why is the Japanese Economy in Trouble.”." Accounts: A Newsletter of Economic Sociology Economic Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association 2 (2002): 6-6.
- Gao, B. "The Impact of the New Guideline of the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty on the China-Taiwan Relations." The World Journal (October 1997).
- Gao, B. "The Impact of Hong Kong’s Return to China on Sino-Japanese Relations." Edited by GWHKTPCII Chinese. The 1997 Effect:Hong Kong, China and the Pacific Region (1997): 209-218.
- Gao, B. "The Territory Dispute: China, Taiwan and Japan." The World Journal (October 1996).
- Gao, B. "The Impact of Japan’s Return to Asia on the China-Taiwan Relations." Edited by BTCAOP Science and ISHKSPI Chinese. Politics, Economy, Society and Cross-Strait Relations (1996): 165-176.
- "Jissen-ha Economics and Japanese Industrial Policy." Kyoto Conference on Japanese Studies 3 (1994): 289-300.
- Gao, B. "Japanese Economy Seen by Foreign Specialists of Japanese Studies." Economic Policy Studies (March 1991): 74-78.
- Gao, B. "The Sectionalism and Integration of the Japanese State During the 1930s." Transactions of the International Conference of Orientalists in Japan XXXV (1991): 88-101.
- Gao, B. "Japanese Higher Education Structure." Edited by H Keming and WYBPSE Press. Studies on the Reform of Chinese Higher Education (1988): 307-350.
- Gao, B. "The Tendency of Chinese Education Reform." The News of Science and Technology (1985).
- Gao, B. "Diversity and Higher Education Reform." Encyclopedic Knowledge 8 (1985).
- Gao, B. "The Background of the Reform of Chinese Higher Education." Beijing University (1985).
- Youth, FO. "Challenge to our Study." 2 (1985).
- Gao, B. "A New Way of Continuing Education." People’s Daily (December 1984).
- Gao, B. "The Way of Learning by Topic." Beijing University (October 1984).
- Gao, B. "’Human Relation’ in the Japanese Management System." Exploration of Labor Issues 4 (1982).
- al, BGE. High-Speed Rail and China’s Grand Strategy in the 21 Century (in Chinese). Social Science Literature Press, 2012.
- Gao, B. Economic Ideology and Japanese Industrial Policy: Developmentalism from 1931 to 1965 (Chinese edition). Shanghai People’s Publishing House, 2008.
- Gao, B. Japan’s Economic Dilemma: The Institutional Origins of Prosperity and Stagnation (Chinese Edition). Shangwu Publishing House, Beijing China, 2004.
- Gao, B. Japan’s Economic Dilemma: The Institutional Origins of Prosperity and Stagnation (both hardcover and paperback). New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Gao, B. Economic Ideology and Japanese Industrial Policy: Developmentalism from 1931 to 1965. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Gao, B. "“International Monetary Regimes and Domestic Political Economies: The Origins of the Global Glut of Liquidity.”." In The Handbook of the Sociology of Finance, edited by KK Cetina and A Preda. Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Gao, B. "The Rubik’s Cube State: A Reconceptualization of Political Change in Contemporary China (a Chinese translation)." In Overseas Studies on Contemporary China, edited by H Cheng and M Xiaohe, 3-28. Shanghai Social Science Academy Press, December 2010.
- Gao, B. "The Postwar Japanese Economy." In A Companion to Japanese History, 299-314. December 13, 2007. Full Text
- Gao, B. "The Japanese Economy in the Postwar Period." In The Encyclopedia of Japan, edited by W Tsutsui. Black Well, 2006.
- Gao, B. ""The State and the Associational Order of the Japanese Economy: The Institutionalization of Cartels and Trade Associations in Japan (1931-1945)"." In The Sociology of the Economy, edited by F Dobbin. Russel Sage Foundation, 2004.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- SOCIOL 89S: First-Year Seminar 2018
- SOCIOL 341: The United States and the Asian Pacific Region 2018
- SOCIOL 344: Technology and Organizational Environments 2018
- SOCIOL 541: The United States and the Asian Pacific Region 2018
- SOCIOL 791: Individual Research in Sociology 2018
- SOCIOL 890: SPECIAL READINGS 2018
- ECON 550S: Global Responses to the Rise of China 2016
- SOCIOL 393: Research Independent Study 2016
- SOCIOL 650S: Global Responses to the Rise of China 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- “The Global Financial Crisis and Chinese Corporations.”. October 12, 2010 2010
- “The Global Financial Crisis and Chinese Corporations". October 11, 2010 2010
- “Japanese Eduation in Comparative Perspectives," video-taped interview by the Dean of the School of Political Science and Economics for Meiji University's 130th anniversay. July 17, 2010 2010
- “Japan and the Global Financial Crisis.”. July 11, 2010 2010
- “The Chinese Economy.”. May 21, 2010 2010
- Japan and the Global Financial Crisis. February 6, 2010 2010
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.