Education, Training, & Certifications
- M.B.B.Ch., University of London (UK) 1979
Duke Appointment History
- Chief, Div. of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology, Clinical Science Departments 1995 - 2006
- Associate Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, Anesthesiology 2003 - 2006
- Associate Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology, Neuroanesthesia, Anesthesiology 2000 - 2003
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, Anesthesiology 1991 - 2000
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Smith, SK, de Lisle Dear, G, Cooper, SH, and Taicher, BM. "Electronic reminders for intraoperative antibiotic re-dosing." Canadian journal of anaesthesia = Journal canadien d'anesthesie 64, no. 4 (April 2017): 443-444. (Letter) Full Text
- Freiberger, JJ, Yoo, DS, de Lisle Dear, G, McGraw, TA, Blakey, GH, Padilla Burgos, R, Kraft, K, Nelson, JW, Moon, RE, and Piantadosi, CA. "Multimodality surgical and hyperbaric management of mandibular osteoradionecrosis." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75, no. 3 (November 1, 2009): 717-724. Full Text Link to Item
- Denoble, PJ, Caruso, JL, Dear, GDL, Pieper, CF, and Vann, RD. "Common causes of open-circuit recreational diving fatalities." Undersea Hyperb Med 35, no. 6 (November 2008): 393-406. Link to Item
- Vann, RD, Moon, RE, Freiberger, JJ, Denoble, PJ, Dear, GL, Stolp, BW, and Massey, EW. "Decompression illness diagnosis and decompression study design." Aviat Space Environ Med 79, no. 8 (August 2008): 797-798. Link to Item
- Allen, TK, Habib, AS, Dear, GL, White, W, Lubarsky, DA, and Gan, TJ. "How much are patients willing to pay to avoid postoperative muscle pain associated with succinylcholine?." J Clin Anesth 19, no. 8 (December 2007): 601-608. Full Text Link to Item
- Ames, WA, Fischer, SF, Schulman, S, and Dear, GDL. "Long-term use of the laryngeal mask airway in a neonate." Anesth Analg 103, no. 3 (September 2006): 792-. (Letter) Full Text Link to Item
- Pollock, NW, Uguccioni, DM, Dear, GDL, Bates, S, Albushies, TM, and Prosterman, SA. "Plasma glucose response to recreational diving in novice teenage divers with insulin-requiring diabetes mellitus." Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine 33, no. 2 (2006): 125-133.
- Ing, RJ, Cook, DR, Bengur, RA, Williams, EA, Eck, J, Dear, GDL, Ross, AK, Kern, FH, and Kishnani, PS. "Anaesthetic management of infants with glycogen storage disease type II: a physiological approach." Paediatr Anaesth 14, no. 6 (June 2004): 514-519. Full Text Link to Item
- Dear, GDL, Pollock, NW, Uguccioni, DM, Dovenbarger, J, Feinglos, MN, and Moon, RE. "Plasma glucose responses in recreational divers with insulin-requiring diabetes." Undersea Hyperb Med 31, no. 3 (2004): 291-301. Link to Item
- Gan, TJ, Ing, RJ, de L Dear, G, Wright, D, El-Moalem, HE, and Lubarsky, DA. "How much are patients willing to pay to avoid intraoperative awareness?." J Clin Anesth 15, no. 2 (March 2003): 108-112. Link to Item
- Mummery, HJ, Stolp, BW, deL Dear, G, Doar, PO, Natoli, MJ, Boso, AE, Archibald, JD, Hobbs, GW, El-Moalem, HE, and Moon, RE. "Effects of age and exercise on physiological dead space during simulated dives at 2.8 ATA." J Appl Physiol (1985) 94, no. 2 (February 2003): 507-517. Full Text Link to Item
- Eck, JB, De Lisle Dear, G, Phillips-Bute, BG, and Ginsberg, B. "Prediction of tracheal tube size in children using multiple variables." Paediatr Anaesth 12, no. 6 (July 2002): 495-498. Link to Item
- Ross, AK, Davis, PJ, Dear Gd, GL, Ginsberg, B, McGowan, FX, Stiller, RD, Henson, LG, Huffman, C, and Muir, KT. "Pharmacokinetics of remifentanil in anesthetized pediatric patients undergoing elective surgery or diagnostic procedures." Anesth Analg 93, no. 6 (December 2001): 1393-1401. Link to Item
- Gan, TJ, Sloan, F, Dear, GDL, El-Moalem, HE, and Lubarsky, DA. "How much are patients willing to pay to avoid postoperative nausea and vomiting?." Anesthesia and Analgesia 92, no. 2 (2001): 393-400.
- Brandom, BW, Margolis, JO, Bikhazi, GB, Ross, AK, Ginsberg, B, Dear, G, Kenaan, CA, Eck, JB, Woelfel, SK, and Lloyd, ME. "Neuromuscular effects of rapacuronium in pediatric patients during nitrous oxide-halothane anesthesia: comparison with mivacurium." Can J Anaesth 47, no. 2 (February 2000): 143-149. Link to Item
- Moon, RE, de Lisle Dear, G, and Stolp, BW. "Treatment of decompression illness and latrogenic gas embolism." Respir Care Clin N Am 5, no. 1 (March 1999): 93-135. (Review) Link to Item
- Cohen, BA, Stolp, BW, Dear, GD, Moon, RE, and Frazier, LM. "Carbon monoxide poisoning in the aftermath of hurricane Fran." Am J Public Health 89, no. 1 (January 1999): 112-. (Letter) Link to Item
- Dear, GDL, Panten, RR, and Lubarsky, DA. "Operating room information systems." Seminars in Anesthesia 18, no. 4 (1999): 322-333.
- Ross, AK, Dear, GL, Dear, RB, Margolis, JO, and Ginsberg, B. "Onset and recovery of neuromuscular blockade after two doses of rocuronium in children." J Clin Anesth 10, no. 8 (December 1998): 631-635. Link to Item
- Arrowsmith, JE, Alexander, R, Dear, GL, Gan, TJ, Hill, RP, Olufolabi, A, Sanderson, IC, and Soppitt, AJ. "Audit commission tackles anaesthetic services. Anaesthesia should remain physician based service." BMJ 316, no. 7147 (June 13, 1998): 1827-. (Letter) Link to Item
- Alexander, R, Rogers, S, Ross, AK, Dear, G, and Eck, J. "Evaluation of a new flexometallic catheter for thoracic epidural analgesia via the caudal route in infants and neonates." Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 23, no. 3 SUPPL. (1998): 89--.
- Arrowsmith, JE, Alexander, R, Dear, GDL, Gan, TJ, Hill, RP, Olufolabi, A, Sanderson, IC, Soppitt, A, Robinson, DN, Chopra, V, and Green, DW. "Audit commission tackles anaesthetic services (multiple letters) ." British Medical Journal 316, no. 7147 (1998): 1827-1828.
- Ginsberg, B, Dear, RB, Margolis, JO, Dear, GD, and Ross, AK. "Oral transmucosal fentanyl citrate as an anaesthetic premedication when dosed to an opioid effect vs total opioid consumption." Paediatr Anaesth 8, no. 5 (1998): 413-418. Link to Item
- Jr, RRP, Dear, GDL, and Lubarsky, DA. "Pharmacoeconomics and practice guidelines: Moving toward value-based care." Problems in Anesthesia 10, no. 3 (1998): 285-291.
- Margolis, JO, Ginsberg, B, Dear, GL, Ross, AK, Goral, JE, and Bailey, AG. "Paediatric preoperative teaching: effects at induction and postoperatively." Paediatr Anaesth 8, no. 1 (1998): 17-23. Link to Item
- Muir, MR, Sullivan, FL, Dear, G, and Ginsberg, B. "Monitoring practices following epidural analgesics for pain management: a follow-up survey." J Pain Symptom Manage 14, no. 1 (July 1997): 36-44. Full Text Link to Item
- Ashley, DM, Coleman, RE, Fuchs, H, Dear, G, Ginsberg, B, Zalduondo, FM, Friedman, HS, and Longee, D. "Chronic CSF leak into the peritoneal cavity shown by radionuclide cisternography. Successful treatment with an epidural blood patch." Clin Nucl Med 22, no. 6 (June 1997): 390-392. Link to Item
- Lubarsky, DA, Sanderson, IC, Gilbert, WC, King, KP, Ginsberg, B, Dear, GL, Coleman, RL, Pafford, TD, and Reves, JG. "Using an anesthesia information management system as a cost containment tool. Description and validation." Anesthesiology 86, no. 5 (May 1997): 1161-1169. Link to Item
- Lubarsky, DA, Glass, PSA, Ginsberg, B, Dear, GDL, Dentz, ME, Gan, TJ, Sanderson, IC, Mythen, MG, Dufore, S, Pressley, CC, Gilbert, WC, White, WD, Alexander, ML, Coleman, RL, Rogers, M, and Reves, JG. "The successful implementation of pharmaceutical practice guidelines: Analysis of associated outcomes and cost savings." Anesthesiology 86, no. 5 (1997): 1145-1160.
- Ginsberg, B, Howell, S, Glass, PS, Margolis, JO, Ross, AK, Dear, GL, and Shafer, SL. "Pharmacokinetic model-driven infusion of fentanyl in children." Anesthesiology 85, no. 6 (December 1996): 1268-1275. Link to Item
- Keels, MA, and de Lisle Dear, G. "Computer-based evaluation of pediatric dental residents' clinical performance." Pediatr Dent 18, no. 1 (January 1996): 74-75. Link to Item
- Sidhu, VS, Dear, GDL, Grounds, RM, Sherry, K, and Massey, NJ. "Pharmacokinetics of propofol ." British Journal of Anaesthesia 66, no. 4 (1991): 527-528.
- Dear, GD, Hammerton, M, Hatch, DJ, and Taylor, D. "Anaesthesia and intra-ocular pressure in young children. A study of three different techniques of anaesthesia." Anaesthesia 42, no. 3 (March 1987): 259-265. Link to Item
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.