Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director of the Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum in Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Duke University 2014 - 2018
- Assistant Professor of the Practice of Romance Studies, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2015 - 2018
- Lecturer, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2008 - 2015
- Acting Director French Language Program in the Department of Romance Studies, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2013
In the News
JUN 19, 2019
NOV 27, 2018 Duke Global Health Institute
OCT 27, 2016
NOV 7, 2014
NOV 6, 2014
NOV 4, 2013
Awards & Honors
- Global Engagement Initiative Award. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. 2017
- Betsy Alden Outstanding Faculty Service-Learning Award. Duke Service-Learning. 2016
- Quebec-United States University Grant. Ministère des Relations Internationales du Québec. 2016
- Weil Curriculum Initiative Award. Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator at Duke, SEAD. May 2015
- Bacca Foundation Fellow. Thompson Writing Center. 2015
- Central African Refugee Resettlement in Durham. Duke Africa Initiative. 2015
- Duke Leadership Academy. Duke University. 2015
- Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation Award. Trinity Arts and Sciences. January 2014
- Service-Learning Faculty Fellow . Duke Service-Learning . 2014
- Service Learning Award for GLHLTH 270T2013. Duke Service Learning. July 2013
- Course Development Award. Arts and Sciences, Duke. September 2012
- To be or to be not: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. TWP. September 2012
- Lecturer Award. Romance Studies, Duke University. March 2012
- To be or to be not: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. Thompson Writing Center Grant. September 2011
- Program Enhancement Grant. Ministère des Relations Internationales du Québec. June 2011
- Teaching Research with Writing Fellowship. CIT/Thompson Writing Center. January 2011
- Teaching Research with Writing Fellowship. CIT-Thompson Writing Program. December 2010
- iPad Jump Start Grant. CIT, Duke University. September 2010
- Faculty Fellowship: Oral Assignments. Center for Instructional Technology, Duke University. January 2010
- Business Language Research and Teaching Award. Center for International Business and Education Research (CIBER). 2009
- Invited Speaker Grant. CIT. October 2008
- Instructional Technology Faculty Fellows Program. CIT. February 2008
- Flexible Learning Spaces Fellowship. CIT, Duke University. 2008
Fellowships, Supported Research, & Other Grants
- Resident Fellow awarded by Institute for American Universities (Aix-en-Provence, France) 2019
- Publications & Artistic Works
Clifford, Joan, and Deborah S. Reisinger. Community-Based Language Learning A Framework for Educators. 2018.
Reisinger, D. S. Crime and media in contemporary France. 2007, pp. 1–153.
Reisinger, Deborah. “Developing and Sustaining Community Partnerships.” The Language Educator, vol. 13.4, no. Oct/Nov 2018, 2018, pp. 31–34.
Ahern Dodson, J., and D. Reisinger. “Moving beyond corrective feedback: (Re)engaging with student writing in L2 through audio response..” Journal of Response to Writing, vol. 3, no. 1, 2017, pp. 129–52.Link to Item
Reisinger, D. “Report on the Commission for French for Business and Economic Purposes.” American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin, vol. 40, no. 3, 2015, pp. 29–29.
Reisinger, D., and J. Clifford. “Transforming Learners through Intercultural Competence.” The Language Educator, 2015, pp. 70–73.
Reisinger, D. “Across the Curriculum and into the Community.” The Language Educator, 2014, pp. 40–41.
Merschel, L. M., et al. “Meeting the Challenges of Machine Translation.” The Language Educator, vol. 8, ACTFL, Oct. 2013.
Reisinger, D. S., et al. “Technology: Meeting the Challenges of Machine Translation.” The Language Educator, vol. 8, Oct. 2013, pp. 44–47.
Reisinger, D. S. “Business Language Studies and Study Abroad in ‘A Changed ‘World.” Global Business Languages, edited by A. Wood, vol. 18, no. 3, 2013, pp. 23–39.
Reisinger, D. S. “Elle a une poitrine de tiroirs: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom.” American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin, vol. 38, no. 1, 2013.
Reisinger, D. S. “iPads in the Classroom.” American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin., vol. 37, no. 2, AATF, 2012.
Reisinger, D. S. “Technology Applications for the Advanced Level: A Return to the Podcast.” Aatf National Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 4, Apr. 2010, pp. 25–26.
Reisinger, D. S. Marketing to the World. Nov. 2008.
Reisinger, D. S. “Student video projects.” Aatf National Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 2, Feb. 2007, pp. 21–22.
Reisinger, D. S. “Literary and Cinematic Responses to the Crime Story in Contemporary France.” Clcweb: Comparative Literature and Culture., vol. 9, no. 4, 2007, pp. 1–10.
Reisinger, D. S. “Murder and Banality in the Contemporary fait divers.” South Central Review, vol. 17, no. 4, 2000, pp. 84–99.
Reisinger, D. S. “The Other and the Same: The Ambiguous Role of the Saracen in La Chanson de Roland.” Romance Language Annual, vol. 9, 1998, pp. 94–97.
Reisinger, D. S. “Le Retour au rien: la circularité mallarméenne à travers ‘Salut’ et ‘Sonnet en –yx’.” Romance Notes, vol. 37, no. 3, 1997, pp. 273–80.
Reisinger, D. S. “Cultural Studies in the Classroom.” Transculture: Interpretations and Applications of Cultural Studies in the Languages, vol. 1, no. 2, 1996, pp. 95–97.
Reisinger, D. S. “L'Inconstance Punie: Jean Anouilh and La Double Inconstance.” Chimères., vol. 23, no. 1–2, 1996, pp. 1–11.
Reisinger, D. “Cultural and Linguistic Marketing in Creative Strategy.” Global Business Languages, Purdue University Press.
Calloway-Thomas, C., et al. “The role of empathy in fostering intercultural competence.” Intercultural Competence in Higher Education: International Approaches, Assessment and Application, 2017, pp. 32–42. Scopus, doi:10.4324/9781315529257.Full Text
Reisinger, D., et al. “Cultures and languages across the curriculum in global health: New curricular pathways toward internationalization.” Critical Perspectives on Internationalising the Curriculum in Disciplines: Reflective Narrative Accounts from Business, Education and Health, 2015, pp. 261–74. Scopus, doi:10.1007/978-94-6300-085-7_20.Full Text
Reisinger, D. S. “Cézanne’s Certitude.” Releasing the Image: From Literature to New Media, edited by R. Mitchell and J. Khalip, 2011.
Reisinger, D. S. “Writing Memory: Point kilométrique 190 and the Grimzi affaire.” New Approaches to Crime in French Literature, Culture and Film, edited by L. Harwick, Peter Lang, 2009, pp. 191–203.
Clifford, J. E., et al. “Course Management Systems and Foreign Language Curricula: The Case of Blackboard at Duke University.” The Heinle Professional Series in Language Instruction, edited by L. Lomika and J. Cooke-Plagwitz, Heinle, 2003, pp. 2–8.
Reisinger, D. S., et al. “Effective Uses of a Course Management System.” Teaching with Technology, edited by Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz and Lara Lomicka, Heinle.
Hicks, E. “Donner à voir: Guillaume de Lorris or the Impossible Romance.” Yale French Studies: Rereading Allegory: Essays in Honor of Daniel Poirin, edited by S. Amer and N. Guyun, translated by D. S. Reisinger, vol. 95, 1999, pp. 65–80.
Reisinger, Deb, and Joan Clifford. Shaping Multilingual Global Citizens. 8 Oct. 2018.Link to Item
Reisinger, D. S. Triangle French and Francophone Business. 2013.
Reisinger, D. S. Identifying (with) the Writer: Audio Feedback on Student Drafts. Duke Faculty Write Program Guest Blog, Sept. 2012.
Reisinger, D. S. Web site of the month. 2008.
Reisinger, D. S. Creating e-stories. American Association of French Teachers, Oct. 2007.
Reisinger, D. S. Using Bandes annonces for oral testing. American Association of French Teachers, Apr. 2007.
Reisinger, D. S. Le Tour de France: sport et identité. UNC Center for European Studies, 2005.
Reisinger, D. S. de l’aide: Directory of Elementary Language Activities for Instructors at Duke. CIT and Romance Studies, 2001.
Reisinger, D. French in Durham.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- FRENCH 212A: Intensive Intermediate French Language and Culture 2019
- FRENCH 302S: Cultural and Literary Perspectives 2019
- FRENCH 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2019
- GLHLTH 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2019
- ICS 332S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2019
- RIGHTS 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2019
- FRENCH 321S: Business and Culture in the Francophone World 2018
- GLHLTH 395: Connections in Global Health: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2018
- GLHLTH 795: Connections in Global Health: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2018
- AMES 270T-5: Voices in Global Health: Mandarin Tutorial 2017
- CANADIAN 328SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- ENVIRON 269T-1: Voices in the Environment: Spanish 2017
- FRENCH 328SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- FRENCH 494: Research Independent Study 2017
- GLHLTH 270T-5: Voices in Global Health: Mandarin Tutorial 2017
- GLHLTH 270T-7: Voices in Global Health: Swahili Tutorial 2017
- PUBPOL 273T-1: Voices in Public Policy: Spanish Tutorial 2017
- PUBPOL 337SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- SPANISH 271T: Voices in Public Policy: Spanish Tutorial 2017
- SPANISH 272T-1: Voices in the Environment: Spanish 2017
Advising & Mentoring
French Major Advisor
- French Major Advisor
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- "Facilitating Written Interpersonal Communication in AP World Languages." With Heather Willis Allen. , Nashville, TN (17 November 2017) . American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). with Heather Willis Allen. November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- Languages Across the Curriculum. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- Teaching French for Change: Social Entrepreneurship. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- "But what if I don't speak Spanish? Strategies for Developing and Sustaining Partnerships with Smaller Language Communities. Let's Talk. Notre Dame University. April 1, 2017 2017
- French for the Real World: Pedagogic Approaches to French for Specific Purposes . Wellesley College. March 2017 - March 2017 2017
- French for the Real World. ACTFL Conference. November 2016 - November 2016 2016
- Measuring the Impact of CLAC . 10th Annual Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum Conference. Drake University. October 2016 - October 2016 2016
- Engaging Teachers as Readers . with Jennifer Ahern-Dodson. Elon University. September 2016 - September 2016 2016
- Where’s the Community in Languages for Specific Purposes?. International Symposium on Languages for Specific Purposes/CIBER Business Language Conference. March 2016 - March 2016 2016
- Developing Intercultural Competency through Community-based Initiatives. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference.. November 21, 2015 2015
- Maximizing Student Performance in Written Presentational Communication for AP French. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2015 - November 2015 2015
- Emerging Trends in Business Language Instruction. AATF International Conference. July 10, 2015 2015
- Understanding our French Economic Heritage. AATF International Conference. July 7, 2015 2015
- CLAC Initiatives in Global Health. CLAC Internationa Conference. Denison University. April 15, 2015 2015
- How to Integrate Languages Across the Curriculum. AIEA International Conference. February 16, 2015 2015
- Cultural and Linguistic Marketing in Québec: C’est beau?” . American Council for Quebec Studies (ACQS). October 16, 2014 2014
- CLAC at Duke. Expanding FLAC at Cornell. Cornell University. September 10, 2014 2014
- Teaching Social Entrepreneurship to Language Students: Using Business to Create Social Value. CIBER International Conference. April 24, 2014 2014
- Rage Against the Machine. Americain Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL) International Conference. March 23, 2014 2014
- Voices in Global Health: Building Perspectives through Language and Culture. CERCLL International Conference. January 24, 2014 2014
- “Backward Design for Forward Thinking in French for the Professions.”. November 23, 2013 2013
- “Creative Storytelling”. November 8, 2013 2013
- “Innovation through Collaboration: New Initiatives in CLAC.”. September 20, 2013 2013
- “Made in Quebec, Marketed in the US.”. April 5, 2013 2013
- “Shaping Knowledge, Building Perspectives: Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum”.. March 22, 2013 2013
- “Pre and Post Program Pedagogies for Worldview Literacy.”. February 1, 2013 2013
- “Localizing the Case Study: Community-based Projects and the Business Language Class.”. January 19, 2013 2013
- The Elephant in the Room: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. November 18, 2012 2012
- Teaching at the Crossroads of Culture and Commerce. October 18, 2012 2012
- E-books. April 27, 2012 2012
- Engaging Business Language Students in their Community. March 23, 2012 2012
- Community Outreach Projects. November 18, 2011 2011
- Going High Tech: Using Technology to Promote Learning French. November 18, 2011 2011
- Community Partnership Connections. July 7, 2011 2011
- iPads in Education: Uses, Strengths, and Lessons Learned. April 29, 2011 2011
- Preparing Future Speakers through Student-Centered Assessments. March 24, 2011 2011
- Assessing Advanced Students for a Global Community. November 5, 2010 2010
- Integrating Technology in the French Classroom: iPhone/iPod Touch, Facebook, and Voicethread. November 1, 2010 2010
- Teaching Students to Self-Assess. April 30, 2010 2010
- Women’s Microfinance Programs in Francophone Africa: Creating Pedagogical and Cultural Bridges. March 22, 2010 2010
- Mad Men in the Digital Age: Student-produced Advertising. November 22, 2009 2009
- Instructional Technology Applications in the Business Language Class: Bringing Students into the Information Era. November 1, 2009 2009
- LINKing Students to Learning. April 25, 2009 2009
- Teaching with Technology. February 21, 2009 2009
- Bridging Global Cultures with Technology. November 14, 2008 2008
- Technology Trials: Pedagogical Applications of Computer Assisted Learning. November 7, 2008 2008
- “Using Creativity to Boost Linguistic Competence: The Court métrage project”. October 11, 2008 2008
- The Link: Space and the Computer-Mediated Classroom. August 22, 2008 2008
- Podcasts and Pedagogy: Curricular Changes in the Business Language Course. April 10, 2008 2008
- From Madeleines to Blueberry Muffins: Student Wiki Projects. April 1, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
- Co-Chair . AP French Language and Culture Development Committee. August 2017 - July 2018 2017 - 2018
- Chair, College Board World Languages Advisory Committee. 2015 - 2018 2015 - 2018
- Advanced Placement College Board Advisor (CBA) and Development Committee Member . AP French Language and Culture Exam . College Board. July 1, 2014 - August 31, 2017 2014 - 2017
- Council of Academic Advisors. Institut Américain Universitaire. 2014 - 2018 2014 - 2018
- Conference Committee : International Center for International Business and Education Research (CIBER) Conference. September 2013 - April 2014 2013 - 2014
- Advanced Level Descriptors Committee . Advanced Placement (AP) French Exam. 2013 2013
- Chair, Commission on French for Specific Purposes. American Association of Teachers of French (AATF) . 2013 - 2018 2013 - 2018
- Scientific Board Member and Reviewer. Journal of Language for Specific Purposes. 2013 - 2016 2013 - 2016
- Advanced Placement (AP) National Standard Setting Committee . College Board . 2012 - 2012 2012
- Abstract Reviewer for International CIBER Business Language Conference. 2010 2010
- Reader : Steering Committee, CIBER Business Language Conference. 2010 - 2012 2010 - 2012
- Telematics and New Technologies Commission : AATF (American Association of Teachers of French). November 6, 2008 2008
- Panel Respondent : Unmasking/Masking Graduate Student Conference. September 12, 2008 2008
- Co-chair : Languages and Pedagogies Round Table Series. 2008 - April 2011 2008 - 2011
Service to Duke
- French Major Advisor, Romance Studies. 2017 - 2018 2017 - 2018
- Judge, Refugee Track. Duke-Oxford Global Challenge Competition . 2017 - 2017 2017
- Chair, Ad-hoc DKU Courses Committee. 2016 - 2019 2016 - 2019
- Faculty Advisory Board, Duke Office of Civic Engagement . 2016 - 2019 2016 - 2019
- Faculty Mentor, Winter Forum Sustainable Development Innovation Challenge. 2016 - 2016 2016
- Working Group on Education and Workplace Development, NC Next Generation (NCNGN/ATT). 2015 - 2015 2015
- Ad-Hoc DKU/ A&S Council Joint Committee. 2014 - 2016 2014 - 2016
- Diversity Task Force, Listening Subcommittee. 2014 - 2015 2014 - 2015
- Global Education Committee . 2014 - 2017 2014 - 2017
- Search Committee, Assistant Professor of Practice, Director of Writing Studio . 2014 - 2015 2014 - 2015
- Search Committee, Assistant Vice-Provost, Director of Global Education . 2013 - 2013 2013
- CIBER Advisory Board, Fuqua. September 1, 2012 2012
- Lectures and Media Committee. 2011 - 2012 2011 - 2012
- Steering Committee, Markets and Management (2011-present). 2011 - 2019 2011 - 2019
- Study Abroad Task Force. 2004 - 2018 2004 - 2018
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.