Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director of the Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum in Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Duke University 2014 - 2018
- Lecturer, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2008 - 2015
- Acting Director French Language Program in the Department of Romance Studies, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2013
In the News
OCT 27, 2016
NOV 7, 2014
NOV 6, 2014
NOV 4, 2013
Awards & Honors
- Global Engagement Initiative Award. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. 2017
- Betsy Alden Outstanding Faculty Service-Learning Award. Duke Service-Learning. 2016
- Quebec-United States University Grant. Ministère des Relations Internationales du Québec. 2016
- Weil Curriculum Initiative Award. Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator at Duke, SEAD. May 2015
- Bacca Foundation Fellow. Thompson Writing Center. 2015
- Central African Refugee Resettlement in Durham. Duke Africa Initiative. 2015
- Duke Leadership Academy. Duke University. 2015
- Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation Award. Trinity Arts and Sciences. January 2014
- Service-Learning Faculty Fellow . Duke Service-Learning . 2014
- Service Learning Award for GLHLTH 270T2013. Duke Service Learning. July 2013
- Course Development Award. Arts and Sciences, Duke. September 2012
- To be or to be not: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. TWP. September 2012
- Lecturer Award. Romance Studies, Duke University. March 2012
- To be or to be not: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. Thompson Writing Center Grant. September 2011
- Program Enhancement Grant. Ministère des Relations Internationales du Québec. June 2011
- Teaching Research with Writing Fellowship. CIT/Thompson Writing Center. January 2011
- Teaching Research with Writing Fellowship. CIT-Thompson Writing Program. December 2010
- iPad Jump Start Grant. CIT, Duke University. September 2010
- Faculty Fellowship: Oral Assignments. Center for Instructional Technology, Duke University. January 2010
- Business Language Research and Teaching Award. Center for International Business and Education Research (CIBER). 2009
- Invited Speaker Grant. CIT. October 2008
- Instructional Technology Faculty Fellows Program. CIT. February 2008
- Flexible Learning Spaces Fellowship. CIT, Duke University. 2008
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Reisinger, DS. Crime and media in contemporary France. December 1, 2007.
- Calloway-Thomas, C, Arasaratnam-Smith, LA, Deardorff, DK, Wang, Y, Deardorff, DK, Kulich, SJ, and Reisinger, DS. "The role of empathy in fostering intercultural competenceChinese perspectives on intercultural competence in international highereducationIssues in global displacement: Exploring community-based language learning (PublishedPublishedPublished)." Intercultural Competence in Higher Education: International Approaches, Assessment and Application. July 20, 2017. 32-42. Full Text
- Reisinger, D, Clifford, J, Deardorff, D, and Whetten, K. "Cultures and languages across the curriculum in global health: New curricular pathways toward internationalization." Critical Perspectives on Internationalising the Curriculum in Disciplines: Reflective Narrative Accounts from Business, Education and Health. January 1, 2015. 261-274. Full Text
- Reisinger, DS, and Reisinger, DS. "Cézanne’s CertitudeCézanne’s Certitude." Releasing the Image: From Literature to New Media. Ed. R Mitchell, J Khalip, R Mitchell, and J Khalip. 2011.
- Reisinger, DS. "Writing Memory: Point kilométrique 190 and the Grimzi affaire." New Approaches to Crime in French Literature, Culture and Film. Ed. L Harwick. London: Peter Lang, 2009. 191-203.
- Clifford, JE, Earp, S, and Reisinger, D. "Course Management Systems and Foreign Language Curricula: The Case of Blackboard at Duke University." The Heinle Professional Series in Language Instruction. Ed. L Lomika and J Cooke-Plagwitz. Heinle, 2003. 2-8.
- Reisinger, DS, Earp, S, and Clifford, J. "Effective Uses of a Course Management System." Teaching with Technology. Ed. J Cooke-Plagwitz and L Lomicka. Heinle.
- Reisinger, DS. "Triangle French and Francophone Business." (2013).
- Reisinger, DS. "Identifying (with) the Writer: Audio Feedback on Student Drafts." (September 2012).
- Reisinger, DS. "Women’s Microfinance Programs: A Resource Site Designed to Introduce Teachers and Students to Microfinance Programs in Francophone Africa." (2010).
- Reisinger, DS. "Web site of the month." (2008).
- Reisinger, DS. "Creating e-stories." (October 2007).
- Reisinger, DS. "Using Bandes annonces for oral testing." (April 2007).
- Reisinger, DS. "Le Tour de France: sport et identité." (2005).
- Reisinger, DS. "de l’aide: Directory of Elementary Language Activities for Instructors at Duke." (2001).
- Reisinger, D. "French in Durham."
- Ahern Dodson, J, and Reisinger, D. "Moving beyond corrective feedback: (Re)engaging with student writing in L2 through audio response." Journal of Response to Writing 3.1 (2017): 129-152. Link to Item
- Reisinger, D, and Clifford, J. "Transforming Learners through Intercultural Competence (Accepted)." The Language Educator (2015): 70-73.
- Reisinger, D. "Report on the Commission for French for Business and Economic Purposes." American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin 40.3 (2015): 29-29.
- Reisinger, D. "Across the Curriculum and into the Community." The Language Educator (2014): 40-41.
- Merschel, LM, Reisinger, D, and Clifford, J. "Meeting the Challenges of Machine Translation." The Language Educator 8 (October 2013). (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS, Merschel, L, and Clifford, J. "Technology: Meeting the Challenges of Machine Translation." The Language Educator 8 (October 2013): 44-47.
- Reisinger, DS. "Business Language Studies and Study Abroad in ‘A Changed ‘World." Ed. A Wood. Global Business Languages 18.3 (2013): 23-39.
- Reisinger, DS. "Elle a une poitrine de tiroirs: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom." American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin 38.1 (2013).
- Reisinger, DS. "iPads in the Classroom." American Association of French Teachers National Bulletin. 37.2 (2012).
- Reisinger, DS. "Technology Applications for the Advanced Level: A Return to the Podcast." AATF National Bulletin 35.4 (April 2010): 25-26.
- Reisinger, DS. "Marketing to the World." (November 2008). (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS. "Student video projects." AATF National Bulletin 32.2 (February 2007): 21-22.
- Reisinger, DS. "Literary and Cinematic Responses to the Crime Story in Contemporary France." CLCWeb: Comparative Literature and Culture. 9.4 (2007): 1-10.
- Reisinger, DS. "Murder and Banality in the Contemporary fait divers." South Central Review 17.4 (2000): 84-99. (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS. "The Other and the Same: The Ambiguous Role of the Saracen in La Chanson de Roland." Romance Language Annual 9 (1998): 94-97. (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS. "Le Retour au rien: la circularité mallarméenne à travers ‘Salut’ et ‘Sonnet en –yx’." Romance Notes 37.3 (1997): 273-280. (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS. "Cultural Studies in the Classroom." Transculture: Interpretations and Applications of Cultural Studies in the Languages 1.2 (1996): 95-97. (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, DS. "L'Inconstance Punie: Jean Anouilh and La Double Inconstance." Chimères. 23.1-2 (1996): 1-11. (Academic Article)
- Reisinger, D, and Ahern-Dodson, J. "Moving Beyond Corrective Feedback (In preparation)." Language Learning Journal .
- Reisinger, D. "Cultural and Linguistic Marketing in Creative Strategy (In preparation)." Global Business Languages .
- Hicks, E. "Donner à voir: Guillaume de Lorris or the Impossible Romance." Ed. S Amer and N Guyun. Trans. DS Reisinger. Yale French Studies: Rereading Allegory: Essays in Honor of Daniel Poirin 95 (1999): 65-80. (Journal issue)
- Teaching & Mentoring
- FRENCH 302S: Cultural and Literary Perspectives 2018
- FRENCH 321S: Business and Culture in the Francophone World 2018
- FRENCH 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2018
- GLHLTH 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2018
- GLHLTH 395: Connections in Global Health: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2018
- GLHLTH 795: Connections in Global Health: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2018
- ICS 332S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2018
- RIGHTS 325S: Global Displacement: Voix Francophones 2018
- AMES 270T-5: Voices in Global Health: Mandarin Tutorial 2017
- CANADIAN 328SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- ENVIRON 269T-1: Voices in the Environment: Spanish 2017
- FRENCH 328SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- FRENCH 494: Research Independent Study 2017
- GLHLTH 270T-5: Voices in Global Health: Mandarin Tutorial 2017
- GLHLTH 270T-7: Voices in Global Health: Swahili Tutorial 2017
- PUBPOL 273T-1: Voices in Public Policy: Spanish Tutorial 2017
- PUBPOL 337SA: Marketing Québec: Policy, Marketing, and Identity 2017
- SPANISH 271T: Voices in Public Policy: Spanish Tutorial 2017
- SPANISH 272T-1: Voices in the Environment: Spanish 2017
- AMES 270T-1: Voices in Global Health: Arabic Tutorial 2016
- AMES 270T-4: Voices in Global Health: Hindi Tutorial 2016
- GLHLTH 270T-1: Voices in Global Health: Arabic Tutorial 2016
- GLHLTH 270T-4: Voices in Global Health: Hindi Tutorial 2016
- ROMST 204D: Soccer Politics 2016
Advising & Mentoring
French Major Advisor
- French Major Advisor
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- "Facilitating Written Interpersonal Communication in AP World Languages." With Heather Willis Allen. , Nashville, TN (17 November 2017) . American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). with Heather Willis Allen. November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- Languages Across the Curriculum. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- Teaching French for Change: Social Entrepreneurship. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2017 - November 2017 2017
- "But what if I don't speak Spanish? Strategies for Developing and Sustaining Partnerships with Smaller Language Communities. Let's Talk. Notre Dame University. April 1, 2017 2017
- French for the Real World: Pedagogic Approaches to French for Specific Purposes . Wellesley College. March 2017 - March 2017 2017
- French for the Real World. ACTFL Conference. November 2016 - November 2016 2016
- Measuring the Impact of CLAC . 10th Annual Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum Conference. Drake University. October 2016 - October 2016 2016
- Engaging Teachers as Readers . with Jennifer Ahern-Dodson. Elon University. September 2016 - September 2016 2016
- Where’s the Community in Languages for Specific Purposes?. International Symposium on Languages for Specific Purposes/CIBER Business Language Conference. March 2016 - March 2016 2016
- Developing Intercultural Competency through Community-based Initiatives. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Conference.. November 21, 2015 2015
- Maximizing Student Performance in Written Presentational Communication for AP French. American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). November 2015 - November 2015 2015
- Emerging Trends in Business Language Instruction. AATF International Conference. July 10, 2015 2015
- Understanding our French Economic Heritage. AATF International Conference. July 7, 2015 2015
- CLAC Initiatives in Global Health. CLAC Internationa Conference. Denison University. April 15, 2015 2015
- How to Integrate Languages Across the Curriculum. AIEA International Conference. February 16, 2015 2015
- Cultural and Linguistic Marketing in Québec: C’est beau?” . American Council for Quebec Studies (ACQS). October 16, 2014 2014
- CLAC at Duke. Expanding FLAC at Cornell. Cornell University. September 10, 2014 2014
- Teaching Social Entrepreneurship to Language Students: Using Business to Create Social Value. CIBER International Conference. April 24, 2014 2014
- Rage Against the Machine. Americain Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL) International Conference. March 23, 2014 2014
- Voices in Global Health: Building Perspectives through Language and Culture. CERCLL International Conference. January 24, 2014 2014
- “Backward Design for Forward Thinking in French for the Professions.”. November 23, 2013 2013
- “Creative Storytelling”. November 8, 2013 2013
- “Innovation through Collaboration: New Initiatives in CLAC.”. September 20, 2013 2013
- “Made in Quebec, Marketed in the US.”. April 5, 2013 2013
- “Shaping Knowledge, Building Perspectives: Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum”.. March 22, 2013 2013
- “Pre and Post Program Pedagogies for Worldview Literacy.”. February 1, 2013 2013
- “Localizing the Case Study: Community-based Projects and the Business Language Class.”. January 19, 2013 2013
- The Elephant in the Room: Machine Translation in the Language Classroom. November 18, 2012 2012
- Teaching at the Crossroads of Culture and Commerce. October 18, 2012 2012
- E-books. April 27, 2012 2012
- Engaging Business Language Students in their Community. March 23, 2012 2012
- Community Outreach Projects. November 18, 2011 2011
- Going High Tech: Using Technology to Promote Learning French. November 18, 2011 2011
- Community Partnership Connections. July 7, 2011 2011
- iPads in Education: Uses, Strengths, and Lessons Learned. April 29, 2011 2011
- Preparing Future Speakers through Student-Centered Assessments. March 24, 2011 2011
- Assessing Advanced Students for a Global Community. November 5, 2010 2010
- Integrating Technology in the French Classroom: iPhone/iPod Touch, Facebook, and Voicethread. November 1, 2010 2010
- Teaching Students to Self-Assess. April 30, 2010 2010
- Women’s Microfinance Programs in Francophone Africa: Creating Pedagogical and Cultural Bridges. March 22, 2010 2010
- Mad Men in the Digital Age: Student-produced Advertising. November 22, 2009 2009
- Instructional Technology Applications in the Business Language Class: Bringing Students into the Information Era. November 1, 2009 2009
- LINKing Students to Learning. April 25, 2009 2009
- Teaching with Technology. February 21, 2009 2009
- Bridging Global Cultures with Technology. November 14, 2008 2008
- Technology Trials: Pedagogical Applications of Computer Assisted Learning. November 7, 2008 2008
- “Using Creativity to Boost Linguistic Competence: The Court métrage project”. October 11, 2008 2008
- The Link: Space and the Computer-Mediated Classroom. August 22, 2008 2008
- Podcasts and Pedagogy: Curricular Changes in the Business Language Course. April 10, 2008 2008
- From Madeleines to Blueberry Muffins: Student Wiki Projects. April 1, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
- Co-Chair . AP French Language and Culture Development Committee. August 2017 - July 2018 2017 - 2018
- Chair, College Board World Languages Advisory Committee. 2015 - 2018 2015 - 2018
- Advanced Placement College Board Advisor (CBA) and Development Committee Member . AP French Language and Culture Exam . College Board. July 1, 2014 - August 31, 2017 2014 - 2017
- Council of Academic Advisors. Institut Américain Universitaire. 2014 - 2018 2014 - 2018
- Conference Committee : International Center for International Business and Education Research (CIBER) Conference. September 2013 - April 2014 2013 - 2014
- Advanced Level Descriptors Committee . Advanced Placement (AP) French Exam. 2013 2013
- Chair, Commission on French for Specific Purposes. American Association of Teachers of French (AATF) . 2013 - 2018 2013 - 2018
- Scientific Board Member and Reviewer. Journal of Language for Specific Purposes. 2013 - 2016 2013 - 2016
- Advanced Placement (AP) National Standard Setting Committee . College Board . 2012 - 2012 2012
- Abstract Reviewer for International CIBER Business Language Conference. 2010 2010
- Reader : Steering Committee, CIBER Business Language Conference. 2010 - 2012 2010 - 2012
- Telematics and New Technologies Commission : AATF (American Association of Teachers of French). November 6, 2008 2008
- Panel Respondent : Unmasking/Masking Graduate Student Conference. September 12, 2008 2008
- Co-chair : Languages and Pedagogies Round Table Series. 2008 - April 2011 2008 - 2011
Service to Duke
- French Major Advisor, Romance Studies. 2017 - 2018 2017 - 2018
- Judge, Refugee Track. Duke-Oxford Global Challenge Competition . 2017 - 2017 2017
- Chair, Ad-hoc DKU Courses Committee. 2016 - 2019 2016 - 2019
- Faculty Advisory Board, Duke Office of Civic Engagement . 2016 - 2019 2016 - 2019
- Faculty Mentor, Winter Forum Sustainable Development Innovation Challenge. 2016 - 2016 2016
- Working Group on Education and Workplace Development, NC Next Generation (NCNGN/ATT). 2015 - 2015 2015
- Ad-Hoc DKU/ A&S Council Joint Committee. 2014 - 2016 2014 - 2016
- Diversity Task Force, Listening Subcommittee. 2014 - 2015 2014 - 2015
- Global Education Committee . 2014 - 2017 2014 - 2017
- Search Committee, Assistant Professor of Practice, Director of Writing Studio . 2014 - 2015 2014 - 2015
- Search Committee, Assistant Vice-Provost, Director of Global Education . 2013 - 2013 2013
- CIBER Advisory Board, Fuqua. September 1, 2012 2012
- Lectures and Media Committee. 2011 - 2012 2011 - 2012
- Steering Committee, Markets and Management (2011-present). 2011 - 2019 2011 - 2019
- Study Abroad Task Force. 2004 - 2018 2004 - 2018
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.