Assistant Professor of Medicine
Dr. Deepshikha Ashana's research focuses on understanding and addressing mechanisms of differences in serious illness care among underserved patients. She uses mixed methods to study epidemiologic trends in national health claims data and understand patient perspectives on serious illness care, with a particular focus on modifiable clinician and health system factors.
She received her undergraduate, medical, and business degrees from the University of Pennsylvania, before moving to Los Angeles to complete her internal medicine residency at the University of California, Los Angeles. She subsequently worked as a management consultant at McKinsey and Company where she gained experience in health system operations and change management. While completing a fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, she received formal training in research methods through the Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology program.
She is currently an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care. She cares for patients in the Duke University Hospital medical intensive care unit and at Duke Health Center at Southpoint.
Dr. Ashana lives in Raleigh with her husband and son where they enjoy cooking, hiking, and watching international films.
Current Appointments & Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Medicine, Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Medicine 2021
- Assistant Professor in Department of Population Health Sciences, Population Health Sciences, Basic Science Departments 2022
- Core Faculty Member, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy, Duke - Margolis Center For Health Policy, Initiatives 2022
- 115 Hanes House, 315 Trent Drive, Durham, NC 27710
- Box 102352, Durham, NC 27710
- firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 660-0929
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.