Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Assistant Professor of Art and Art History, Art, Art History & Visual Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2004 - 2009
- Assistant Professor of Romance Studies, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2001 - 2008
- Andrew W. Mellon Assistant Professor of Romance Studies, Romance Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2003 - 2004
In the News
SEP 28, 2017
MAR 13, 2014
Awards & Honors
- Co-director with John French and Paul Baker. Mellon funded laboratory, Franklin Humanities Institute, Duke University. “Global Brazil.” . Andrew W. Mellon Foundation . 2014
- E. Blake Byrne Associate Professor. Bass Society of Fellows. May 2012
- Selection of Errant Modernism as A John Hope Franklin Center Book.. Duke University Press/The Franklin Humanities Institute. May 2008
- Traditional Fulbright Scholarship. Council for International Exchange of Scholars. 2004
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Lasch, BP, Aravamudan, EBS, Jennifer Gonzalez, AM, Mignolo, W, and Sigal, P. Black Mirror/Espejo Negro. Nasher Museum of Art and the Franklin Humanities Institute, distributed by Duke University Press, 2010.
- Gabara, E. Errant Modernism: The Ethos of Photography in Mexico and Brazil. Duke University Press, November 2008.
- Gabara, EL. "Photography, Avant-Garde and Modernity." In A Companion to Modern and Contemporary Latin American & Latino Art, edited by A Anreus, R Greeley, and M Sullivan. 2015.
- Gabara, EL. "Landscape: Errant Modernism and Aesthetics in Brazil." In Modern Art in Africa, Asia and Latin America: An Introduction to Global Modernisms, edited by EO Brien, E Nicodemus, M Chiu, MKC Benjamin Genocchio, and R Tejada, 353-361. Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Gabara, EL. "Orientalism Unmoored." In Orit Raff: Shangri-La, n.p.-n.p. Tel Aviv, Israel: A’ Point Books/ Noga Callery of Contemporary Art, January 2011.
- Gabara, EL. "Perspectives on Scale: From the Atomic to the Universal." In Art and Globalization, edited by J Elkins, AS Kim, and Z Valiavicharska, 200-204. Penn State Press, 2010.
- Gabara, EL. "Modernist Ethics: Really Engaging Popular Culture in Mexico and Brazil." In The Ethics of Latin American Literary Criticism: Reading Otherwise, edited by EG Zivin, 63-104. Palgrave MacMillan, 2007.
- Gabara, EL. "Recycled Photographs: Moving Still Images of Mexico City, 1950/2000." In Double Exposure: Photography and Literature in Latin America, edited by M Schwartz and MB Tierney-Tello, 139-172. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2006.
- Gabara, EL. "’Nunca olhei tão olhado em minha vida e está sublime’: O (auto)retrato e a fotografia na obra de Mário de Andrade." In A Historiografia Literária e as Técnicas de Escrita. Do Manuscrito ao Hipertexto, edited by F Süssekind and T Dias, 169-190. Vieira e Lent/ Edições Casa de Rui Barbosa, 2004.
- Gabara, E. "Fictions of emancipation: Collaborations with and against the law." English Language Notes 51, no. 1 (March 1, 2013): 173-181. Open Access Copy
- Gabara, EL. "El triángulo museológico de las Bermudas: El Prado, el Museo de América y el Museo Nacional de Antropología." Revista SUR/versión. Investigación y creación de América Latina y el Caribe 2 (2013).
- Gabara, E. "El triángulo museológico de las Bermudas: El Prado, el Museo de América y el Museo Nacional de Antropología." Edited by JLMYT Badia. El D_Efecto Barroco: Políticas De La Imagen Hispana (June 2012). (Academic Article)
- Noble, A. "Review of Errant Modernism." A Contracorriente 8 (2012): 442-447. (Review)
- Oldfield, P. "Review of Errant Modernism." Bulletin of Latin American Research 31 (2012): 409-410. (Review)
- Delgado, Z, and Patricia, M. "Review of Errant Modernism." E.I.A.L. 22 (2011): 179-181. (Review)
- Edwards, E. "Relocating Photographies, Histories and Modernisms." Art History 34 (January 2011): 211-213. (Review)
- Folgarait, L. "Seeing Mexico Photographed: The Work of Horne, Casasola, Modotti, and Álvarez Bravo." Caa.reviews (online), College Arts Association (2011). (Review) Open Access Copy
- Gallo, R. "Review of Errant Modernism." Modernism/Modernity 18 (2011): 201-203. (Review)
- Herlinghaus, H. "Review of Errant Modernism." MLN 26 (2011): 418-420. (Review)
- Prado, S, and Ignacio, M. "Estrategias para mirar la nación. El giro visual de los estudios culturales mexicanos en lengua inglesa." Mexican Studies/ Estudios Mexicanos 27 (2011): 449–469-449–469. (Academic Article)
- Preciado, CD. "Review of Errant Modernism." Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies 15 (2011): 216-217. (Review)
- Rawson, K. "Review of Errant Modernism." Aztlán. A Journal of Chicano Studies 36 (2011): 223-228. (Review)
- Segre, E. "Review of Errant Modernism, etc." History of Photography 35 (2011): 85-88. (Review)
- Flaherty, G. "Review of Errant Modernism and National Camera." caa on-line reviews (August 2010). (Review)
- Castro, ME, and Paul, . "Review of Errant Modernism." The Bulletin of Hispanic Studies 87 (2010): 894-895. (Review)
- Foster, DW. "Errant Modernism: The Ethos of Photography in Mexico and Brazil." Luso-Brazilian Review 47 (2010): 227-229. (Academic Article)
- Gabara, E. "Gestures, Practices, and Projects: [Latin] American Re-visions of Visual Culture and Performance Studies." E-misférica 7 (2010). (Academic Article)
- Gabara, EL. "Fighting It Out: Being Naco in the Global Lucha Libre." Journal of Decorative and Propaganda Arts. 26 (2010): 277-300.
- Gallo, R. "Mexican Photography: From the Daguerrotype to Digital Images." Hispanic Review 39 (2010): 135-141. (Review)
- Galvez, A. "Review of Errant Modernism." E-misférica 7 (2010). (Review)
- Krippner, J. "Errant Moderism: The Ethos of Photography in Mexico and Brazil." The Americas 66 (January 2010): 416-418. (Academic Article)
- Carranza, LE. "Errant Modernism: The Ethos of Photography in Mexico and Brazil." Choice 47 (September 2009). (Academic Article)
- O Toole, G. "The Errors of the Avant-Garde." The Latin American Review of Books (July 2009). (Review)
- Fraser, B. "Review of Errant Modernism." Chasqui 38 (2009): 185-187. (Review)
- Gabara, EL. ""Cannon and Camera": Photography and Colonialism in the Américas." ELN 44 (2006): 45-64.
- Gabara, EL. "Facing Brazil: The Problem of Portraiture and a Modernist Sublime." CR: The New Centennial Review 4 (2004): 33-76.
- Gabara, EL. "Review of Primitivism and Identity in Latin America: Essays on Art, Literature, and Culture. Eds. Erik Camayd-Freixas and José Eduardo González." Latin American Literary Review 61 (2003): 113-115. (Review)
- Gabara, EL. "Review of Fragments of a Golden Age: The Politics of Culture in Mexico since 1940. Eds. Gilbert Joseph, Anne Rubenstein, and Eric Zolov." Nepantla: Views from South 4 (2003): 201-207. (Review)
- Gabara, EL. "Engendering Nation: Las bellas artes públicas and the Mexican Photo-essay, 1920-1940." 49 (2001): 139-154.
- Gabara, EL. "La ciudad loca: An Epistemological Plan." Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies 9 (2000): 119-35.
- Gabara, E, and Conlon, J. "Moving the Avant-Garde." Stanford Humanities Review 7 (June 1999): vii-xii. (Academic Article)
- Santiago, S. "Two Strangers in Mexico." Stanford Humanities Review 7 (June 1999): vii-xii. (Academic Article)
- Conlon, J. "Two Strangers in Mexico, by Silviano Santiago." Stanford Humanities Review 7 (1999): 79-87. (Academic Article)
- Gabara, EL. "“Crossing the Border: Whether Real or Imagined.”." What It Means to Be American . (Essay) Link to Item
- Situaciones, C, Aires, B, and Argentina, . "“Disquiet in the impasse: Coming from the Latin American Situation,”." http://micropolitics.wordpress.com/ . (Academic Article)
- Gabara, EL. "“El laberinto de la hermandad: Me-Xicano Photography and Protest.”." LA RAZA (January 31, 2017). (Essay)
- Gabara, EL. "“Missing Body Art: Absent Identity in the Work of Tatiana Parcero.”." Revolution and Ritual: The Photographs of Sara Catrejón, Graciela Iturbide, and Tatiana Parcero. (January 31, 2017).
- Gabara, EL. "“Crossing the Border: Whether Real or Imagined.”." What It Means to Be American (May 26, 2015). (Essay) Link to Item
- Gabara, EL. "Arte y colonialidad: Arte latinoamericano en España." (2012).
- Gabara, EL. "Non-Literary Fiction: Invention and Interventions in Contemporary Latin American Art." (2012).
- Gabara, EL. "Orit Raff: Inside Drawing." (February 2000): n.p.-n.p.
Artistic Works & Non-Print Media
- Teaching & Mentoring
- ARTHIST 290: Special Topics in Art History 2018
- ARTHIST 490S: Special Topics 2018
- ARTHIST 590S: Special Topics 2018
- ROMST 290: Special Topics in Romance Studies 2018
- ROMST 490S: Topics in Romance Studies 2018
- ROMST 590S: Seminar in Romance Studies 2018
- ROMST 791: Independent Study 2018
- VMS 290: Special Topics in Visual Studies 2018
- VMS 490S: Special Topics in Visual and Media Studies 2018
- VMS 590S: Special Topics in Visual Studies 2018
- ARTHIST 433S: Photography in the Americas: War, Tourism, Art, and Protest 2017
- ICS 459S: Photography in the Americas: War, Tourism, Art, and Protest 2017
- SPANISH 335: Introduction to Spanish-American Literature 2017
- SPANISH 433S: Photography in the Americas: War, Tourism, Art, and Protest 2017
- VMS 433S: Photography in the Americas: War, Tourism, Art, and Protest 2017
- VMS 494: Research Independent Study 2017
- ROMST 590SP: Special Topics in Romance Studies - Preceptorial 2016
- VMS 493: Research Independent Study 2016
Advising & Mentoring
Romance Studies: Laura Cobian (2010), Beatriz Rodríguez Balanta (2010), Amanda Suhey, Candela Marini (co-directed with Ricard Rosa), Iván Vargas.
Art, Art History & Visual Studies: Kency Cornejo (2014), Alfredo Rivera (co-directed with Rick Powell, 2015), and Camila Maroja (co-directed with Kristine Stiles, 2015), Rosalía Romero.
Romance Studies: Andrea Junguito (2008), Karen Serwer Secrist (2009), Ana Ugarte, Silvia Serrano, Stephanie Reist, Raúl Ferrera- Balanquet
Art, Art History & Visual Studies: Sinan Goknur, Lidia Klein
Literature: China Medel (2014)
Molly Superfine, awarded highest distinction (Art, Art History & Visual Studies, 2013)
Kimberly Gordon, Lara Pomerantz (Spanish and Latin American Studies)
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Interview with Tatiana Parcero. Getty Foundation. 2017 2017
- Photography, Avant-Garde, and Modernity. The Atlantic World Research Network (AWRN) . Weatherspoon Gallery, University of North Carolina, Greensboro. . April 5, 2016 2016
- El laberinto de la hermandad: Me-Xicano Photography and Protest. UCLA, Chicano Studies Resource Center/Autry Museum of Art. November 8, 2015 - November 7, 2015 2015
- The Gesture of Fiction: Invention and Intervention in Contemporary Art of the Americas. Institute of Fine Arts, New York University. November 5, 2015 2015
- “No-object, No-narrative, No-America: Negation in Art and Theory since Neoliberalism.”. Art History and ILAS. Columbia University. November 21, 2014 2014
- Panel leader at colloquium in honor of Mary Louise Pratt . New York University. November 15, 2014 2014
- Getty Institute Symposium for Pacific Standard Time 2: Los Angeles/ Latin America (LA/LA), supported by the Getty Foundation. Discussant La Raza, Autry National Center/ Chicano Studies Research Center. UCLA. October 4, 2014 - October 5, 2014 2014
- “No-object, No-narrative, No-America: Negation in Art and Theory since Neoliberalism.”. Romance Languages, University of Chicago. May 8, 2014 2014
- Errant Continent: Theories of Photography, Avant-Garde, and Modernity in Latin/America. September 12, 2013 2013
- La vanguardia y los usos de la fotografía. May 23, 2013 2013
- A Museological Bermuda Triangle: Coloniality in Contemporary Spanish Exhibition Practices. May 6, 2013 2013
- ¿Nostalgia radical? Ficciones estéticas y políticas en la fotografía. November 19, 2012 2012
- The Fiction of Emancipation. November 8, 2012 2012
- El triángulo museológico de las Bermudas: El Prado, el Museo de América y el Museo Nacional de Antropología. April 20, 2012 2012
- Pobre México. So Far from Modernist Originality, So Close to the United States. November 18, 2011 2011
- Nostalgic Critique: Contemporary Photography as Non-literary Fiction. December 3, 2010 2010
- Modernist Tourists in Mexico.. October 14, 2010 2010
- Gesture: Signs of the Body in Visual Studies. May 28, 2010 2010
- Gesture: Signs of the Body. May 3, 2010 2010
- On Terra em transe. December 5, 2009 2009
- “Drawn: The New Art of Making Fiction”. December 2, 2009 2009
- Queer Surrealism: As peripheral surrealism. July 23, 2009 2009
- The “Quasi-Corpus, Habeas Corpus, and Relative Democracy: The Cutting Intimacy of Non-Literary Fiction. April 13, 2009 2009
- Misplaced Influence: Art Histories of and from Continental America. February 14, 2009 2009
- “Errant Landscapes: Mário de Andrade Surveys Brazil”. April 14, 2008 2008
- “Fighting It Out: Being Naco in the Global Lucha Libre.”. February 15, 2008 2008
- Discussant/Chair: Visual Politics: Contemporary Art and Visual Culture in Latin America and the Caribbean. February 9, 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
- Editorial Board Member : Editorial Board, ELN. 2011 2011
- Editorial Board of Modernism/Modernity. 2010 2010
- Peer review of article for Hispanic Review. November 20, 2008 2008
- Search Committee, France Professor of Pre-Columbian Art. 2008 2008
- advisory member of two ongoing searches : Latino/a Studies Search Review Committee. 2008 2008
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.