Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Harvard University 1969
Duke Appointment History
- Professor in the Department of Religious Studies, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1979 - 2015
- Director in the Center for Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2014 - 2015
- Director in The Center for Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2012 - 2013
- Director, Judaic Studies, Judaic Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2002 - 2011
- Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Center for Jewish Studies, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2010
- Associate Professor with Tenure, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1971 - 1979
- Assistant Professor, Religious Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1969 - 1971
In the News
OCT 30, 2015 Fox News
MAY 26, 2015 WNCN
MAY 26, 2015 Toronto Globe and Mail
MAY 21, 2015
MAY 21, 2015
JAN 14, 2015
APR 9, 2014 ASOR Blog
FEB 12, 2014 TIME magazine
OCT 14, 2013 The Christian Science Monitor
Awards & Honors
- Aramaic in Post-Biblical Judaism and Early Christianity awarded by National Endowment for the Humanities 2003 - 2004
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Meyers, EM, Meyers, CL, Balouka, M, and de Vincenz, A. The Pottery from Ancient Sepphoris. Edited by EM Meyers and CL Meyers. Winona Lake, Indiana: Eisenbrauns, January 1, 2013. (Edited Book)
- Meyers, CL, and Meyers, EM. Excavations at Ancient Nabratein: Synagogue and Environs. Eisenbrauns for the American Schools of Oriental Research, 2009. (Monograph)
- Bailey, C. The Cambridge companion to the piano. 2000. Full Text Link to Item
- Davies, J. "Death, Burial and Rebirth in the Religions of Antiquity, History of Religions." (2003). (Review)
- Meyers, EM. "The Synagogue of Ancient Ostia and the Jews of Rome: Interdisciplinary Studies." BASOR (2003). (Review)
- Meyers, EM. "Highlands of Many Cultures: The Southern Samaria Survey B The Sites." Scholar’s Bookshelf: BAR 26 (2003): 3-62. (Review)
- Meyers, EM, Bienkowski, P, and Millard, A. "Dictionary of the Ancient Near East." American Journal of Archaeology 105, no. 1 (January 2001): 105-105. Full Text
- Meyers, EM, Meyers, CL, and Dessel, JP. "Report on the 2000 season at Tell )Ein Zippori." Israel Exploration Journal 51 (2001): 99-104. (Academic Article)
- Donfried, KP, and Richardson, P. "Judaism and Christianity in First Century Rome." American Journal of Archaeology 104 (2000): 39-40. (Review)
- Levine, LI, and ed, . "Jerusalem: Its Sanctity and Centrality to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam." Church History (2000). (Review)
- Levine, LI. "The Ancient Synagogue." Journal of Roman Archaeology: “The Ancient Synagogue Revisited” (2000): 683-685. (Review)
- Meyers, EM, and Chancey, M. "How Jewish was Sepphoris in Jesus’ Time?." Biblical Archaeology Review 26 (2000): 18-61. (Academic Article)
- Meyers, EM. "The Elephantine Papyri in English: Three Millennia of Cross-cultural Continuity and Change." Scholar’s Bookshelf: BAR 26 (2000). (Review)
- Meyers, EM. "The Pools of Sepphoris - Ritual Baths or Bathtubs?." Biblical Archaeology Review 26 (2000): 46-61.
- Williams, MH. "The Jews Among the Greeks and Romans." American Journal of Archaaeology 104 (2000): 39-39. (Review)
- Meyers, EM, and Meyers, C. "New Translation with Brief Introductions to the Books of Haggai and Zechariah." In The New Catholic Bible. 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "Jesus and His World. Sepphoris and the Quest for the Historical Jesus." In Saxa loquentur, edited by CGD Hertog, U Hübner, and S Münger, 185-197. Geburtstag (Alter Orient und Altes Testament), Münster: Ugarit-Verlag, 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "Haggai, Zechariah." In The New Interpreter’s Study Bible. Abingdon Press: Nashville, 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "The Problems of Gendered Space in Syro-Palestinian Domestic Architecture: The Case of Roman-period Galilee." In Proceedings from conference on The Early Christian Family, edited by D Balch and C Osiek, 38-51. Wm. B. Erdmans Publishing Co., 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "The Rise of early Judaism and Early Christianity in the Light of Archaeology with Special Reference to the Dead Sea Scrolls." In ASOR Centennial at The Smithsonian, edited by D Clark. ASOR Publications, 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "Jewish Art and Architecture in Ancient Palestine (70-235 CE)." In The Cambridge History of Judaism, edited by S Katz. Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "Archaeology and Nationalism in Israel: Making the Past Part of the Present." In Zeichen aus Text und Stein: Studien auf dem Weg zu einer Archäeologie des Neuen Testaments, edited by S Alkier and J Zangenberg. Tübingen, 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "The Ceramic Incense Shovels from Sepphoris: Another View." In Festschrift for Amichai Mazar, edited by A Maeir and PD Miroschedji. 2003.
- Meyers, EM. "Aspects of Everyday Life in Roman Palestine with Special Reference to Private Domiciles and Ritual Baths." In Jews in the Hellenistic and Roman Cities, edited by J Bartlett, 193-219. Routledge Ltd., 2002.
- Meyers, EM. "Sepphoris: City of Peace." In The First Jewish Revolt: Archaeology, History, and Ideaology, edited by AM Berlin and JA Overman, 110-120. Routledge, 2002.
- Meyers, EM, Seger, JD, and al, E. "An ASOR Mosaic: A Centennial History of the American Schools of Oriental Research." In ASOR Centennial Vol, 3-24. ASOR Publications, 2001.
- Meyers, EM, and Meyers, CL. "Sepphoris; Diocaesarea." In Dictionary of Archaeology, edited by S Gibson, 454-56. 2001.
- Meyers, EM. "Jewish Culture in Greco-Roman Palestine." In Cultures of the Jews: A New History, edited by D Biale, 138-79. Random House/Shocken, 2001.
- Meyers, EM. "From the Maccabees to the Dead Sea Scrolls." In Reclaiming Jewish History, The Proceedings of Colloquium 1997, 97-124. The Society for Humanistic Judaism, Farmington Hills, MI. and Milan Press, 2001.
- Meyers, EM. "The Dating of the Gush Halav Synagogue: ’Response to Jodi Magness’." In Judaism in Late Antiquity, part 3, vol. 4, Where we stand: Issues and Debates in Ancient Judaism, edited by Avery-Peck and J Neusner, 49-70. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2000.
- Meyers, EM. "Galilëa, Herodeion." In Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart, 455-1675. Vierte Auflage, 2000.
- Meyers, EM. "Caesarea, Chorazin." In Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart, 2677 and 2931-2677 and 2931. Vierte Auflage, 2000.
- Meyers, EM. "Ceramics Chronology and Historical Reconstruction." In The Archaeology of Jordan and Beyond, edited by JAS Festschrift, LE Stager, JH Greene, and MD Coogan, 344-51. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2000.
- Meyers, EM. "Shelomith 2." In Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, Apocrypha, and New Testament, edited by CL Meyers and E al, 154-5. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2000.
- Meyers, EM. "The American Schools of Oriental Research." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls, 20-22. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000.
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.