Crown University Distinguished Professor in Ethics
Gopal Sreenivasan (Ph.D. 1993, UC Berkeley) joined the Duke faculty in 2008. His research interests cover a wide range of topics across the spectrum of moral and political philosophy.
Sreenivasan’s recent book, Emotion and virtue (Princeton, 2020), makes original contributions in both moral psychology and the theory of virtue. It will be the subject of symposia in Analytic Philosophy and Criminal Law and Philosophy (online first, and second); and has been reviewed in Analysis and Mind.
Other recent publications follow below the fold, as do some videos.
Recent publications on rights or human rights:
- “Legal human rights, as distinct from moral ones.” In J. Tomalty and K. Woods (eds.) Routledge Handbook on the Philosophy of Human Rights (forthcoming).
- “Rights and revolution: Is there a liberty to ‘go it alone’?,” Social Philosophy and Policy (forthcoming).
- "Whither and whether with the formative aim thesis," Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 52(5) (2019): 1331-57.
Recent publications in bioethics:
- "Varieties of minimalism about informed consent," American Journal of Bioethics 21(5) (2021): 66-8.
- "Injustice and inequalities in health," Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics (2020).
But not everything belongs to a theme:
- “Three concepts of legitimacy,” Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy 10 (forthcoming).
- "Deference and delegation: What is the difference?," Zeitschrift für Ethik und Moralphilosophie 3(2) (2020): 345-52.
“Emotion and virtue, précis.” Author-meets-critics panel. APA, Central Division Meeting. 2021.
"What is courage?" Franklin Humanities Institute, Duke University. 2019.
"Should virtue be taught?" Character Project Conference, Wake Forest University. 2015.
Paper links on this page connect to page proofs. For published versions of articles, see my curriculum vitae, although those links may require a subscription.
Current Appointments & Affiliations
- Crown University Distinguished Professor in Ethics, Philosophy, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2008
- Professor of Philosophy, Philosophy, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2008
- Professor in Medicine, Medicine, General Internal Medicine, Medicine 2008
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society, Duke Science & Society, Initiatives 2017
- 207 West Duke Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Duke Box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
- firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 660-3069
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.