Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
AUG 5, 2016 TIME
JUN 1, 2016 The News & Observer
MAY 9, 2016 Humanities Magazine
MAR 11, 2016 Fox News Latino
MAR 2, 2016 The Globe and Mail
MAR 1, 2016 The Globe and Mail
Awards & Honors
- 2009 Robert E. Lane Award. APSA. December 2009
- Integrating Multiple Data Sources to Account for Nonignorable Nonresponse awarded by National Science Foundation 2017 - 2019
- Making Young Voters: Policy Reforms to Increase Youth Turnout awarded by National Science Foundation 2017 - 2019
- The Link between Education, Engagement, and Well-being awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2017
- NCRN-MN:Triangle Census Research Network awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2016
- Multiple Imputation Methods for Handling Missing Data in Longitudinal Studies with Refreshment Samples awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2014
- Workshop on Questionnaire Design Issues in Longitudinal & Repeated Cross-sectional Surveys: Balancing Continuity/Innov awarded by National Science Foundation 2011
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Hillygus, DS, and Shields, TG. The persuadable voter: Wedge issues in presidential campaigns. Princeton University Press, August 10, 2009.
- Hillygus, DS, Nie, NH, Prewitt, K, and Pals, H. The Hard Count: The Political and Social Challenges of Census Mobilization. Russell Sage Foundation, April 13, 2006.
- Frankel, L, and Hillygus, DS. "Niche Communication in Political Campaigns." In Oxford Handbook on Political Communication, edited by KH Jamieson and K Kenski. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Hillygus, DS, Jackson, N, and Young, M. "“Professional Respondents in Online Survey Panels,” Online Panel Research - A Data Quality Perspective." In Online Panel Research - A Data Quality Perspective, edited by RB M Callegaro, P Lavrakas, J Krosnick, J Bethlehem, and A Gritz. Wiley, 2014.
- Hillygus, DS, and Burden, B. "Mass Polarization in the Bush Presidency." In The Presidency of George W. Bush: Perspectives on the Forty-Third President of the United States, edited by D Kelly and T Shields. Texas A&M Press, 2013.
- Bishop, B, and Hillygus, DS. "Campaigning, Debating, Advertising." In Oxford Handbook on Media and Public Opinion, edited by L Jacobs and R Shapiro. Oxford University Press (OUP), 2011.
- Hillygus, DS. "The Practice of Survey Research: Changes and Challenges’." In New Directions in Public Opinion Resesarch. 2011.
- Hillygus, DS. "The Need for Survey Reporting Standards in Political Science." In The Future of Political Science: 100 Perspectives. 2009.
- Hillygus, DS. "Campaign Effects on Vote Choice." In Oxford Handbook on Political Behavior. 2009.
- Holbein, JB, and Hillygus, DS. "Making Young Voters: The Impact of Preregistration on Youth Turnout." American Journal of Political Science 60, no. 2 (April 2016): 364-382. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Si, Y, Reiter, JP, and Hillygus, DS. "Semi-parametric Selection Models for Potentially Non-ignorable Attrition in Panel Studies with Refreshment Samples." Political Analysis 23, no. 01 (2015): 92-112. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS, and Treul, SA. "Assessing strategic voting in the 2008 US presidential primaries: the role of electoral context, institutional rules, and negative votes." Public Choice 161, no. 3-4 (December 2014): 517-536. Full Text
- Aldrich, JH, Bishop, BH, Hatch, RS, Hillygus, SD, and Rohde, DW. "Blame, Responsibility, and the Tea Party in the 2010 Midterm Elections." Political Behavior 36, no. 3 (September 2014): 471-491. Full Text
- Frankel, LL, and Hillygus, DS. "Looking Beyond Demographics: Panel Attrition in the ANES and GSS." Political Analysis 22, no. 03 (2014): 336-353. Full Text
- Johnston, CD, Hillygus, DS, and Bartels, BL. "Ideology, the Affordable Care Act Ruling, and Supreme Court Legitimacy." Public Opinion Quarterly 78, no. 4 (2014): 963-973. Full Text
- Frankel, L, and Hillygus, DS. "Panel Attrition and the Survey Experience." Political Analysis (2013). (Academic Article)
- Henderson, M, and Hillygus, DS. "The dynamics of health care opinion, 2008-2010: partisanship, self-interest, and racial resentment." J Health Polit Policy Law 36, no. 6 (December 2011): 945-960. Full Text Link to Item
- Henderson, M, and Hillygus, DS. "The Dynamics of Health Care Opinion, 2008-2010." Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law (2011).
- Hillygus, DS. "The Evolution of Election Polling in the United States." PUBLIC OPINION QUARTERLY 75, no. 5 (2011): 962-981. Full Text Link to Item
- Elis, R, Hillygus, DS, and Nie, N. "The dynamics of candidate evaluations and vote choice in 2008: looking to the past or future?." ELECTORAL STUDIES 29, no. 4 (December 2010): 582-593. Full Text Link to Item
- Hillygus, DS, and Henderson, M. "Political issues and the Dynamics of vote choice in 2008." Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties 20, no. 2 (May 1, 2010): 241-269. Full Text
- Ellis, R, Hillygus, DS, and Nie, N. "Retrospective or Prospective Voting in 2008." Electoral Studies (2010).
- Henderson, M, Hillygus, DS, and Tompson, T. ""Sour Grapes" or Rational Voting? Voter Decision Making Among Thwarted Primary Voters in 2008." PUBLIC OPINION QUARTERLY 74, no. 3 (2010): 499-529. Full Text Link to Item
- Henderson, M, and Hillygus, DS. "Policy Issues and the Dynamics of Vote Choice in the 2008 Presidential Election." Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties (2010).
- Burden, B, and Hillygus, DS. "Opinion Formation, Polarization, and Presidential Reelection." Presidential Studies Quarterly (2009).
- Treier, S, and Hillygus, DS. "The Nature of Political Ideology in the Contemporary Electorate." PUBLIC OPINION QUARTERLY 73, no. 4 (2009): 679-703. Full Text Link to Item
- Hillygus, DS. "The dynamics of voter decision making among minor-party supporters: The 2000 presidential election in the United States." BRITISH JOURNAL OF POLITICAL SCIENCE 37 (April 2007): 225-244. Full Text Link to Item
- Hillygus, DS, and Shields, TG. "Moral issues and voter decision making in the 2004 presidential election." PS-POLITICAL SCIENCE & POLITICS 38, no. 2 (April 2005): 201-209. Link to Item
- Hillygus, DS. "The MISSING LINK: Exploring the relationship between higher education and political engagement." POLITICAL BEHAVIOR 27, no. 1 (March 2005): 25-47. Full Text Link to Item
- Hillygus, DS, and Jackman, S. "Voter decision making in election 2000: Campaign effects, partisan activation, and the Clinton legacy." AMERICAN JOURNAL OF POLITICAL SCIENCE 47, no. 4 (October 2003): 583-596. Full Text Link to Item
- Deng, Y, Hillygus, DS, Reiter, JP, Si, Y, and Zheng, S. "Handling Attrition in Longitudinal Studies: The Case for Refreshment Samples." Statistical Science 28, no. 2: 238-256. Full Text Link to Item
- Teaching & Mentoring
- POLSCI 201: Public Opinion 2018
- POLSCI 390S-4: Special Topics in Political Behavior and Identities 2018
- POLSCI 610S: Political Persuasion 2018
- POLSCI 239S: Political Communication in a Changing Media Environment 2017
- POLSCI 704: Survey Methodology Practicum 2017
- POLSCI 714: Workshop in Political Behavior and Identities II 2017
- POLSCI 799: Special Readings 2017
- POLSCI 393-4: Sophomore/Junior Research Independent Study Political Behavior and Identities 2016
- POLSCI 710: Civic Engagement in a Changing Media Environment 2016
- POLSCI 713: Workshop in Political Behavior and Identities 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Service to Duke
- Editorial Board, Journal of Experimental Political Science. December 26, 2013 2013
- Executive Council, Midwest Political Science Association. December 26, 2013 2013
- Scientific Advisory Committee, U.S. Census Bureau. December 26, 2013 2013
- Advisory Board, Public Opinion Quarterly. December 8, 2013 - December 8, 2013 2013
- SSRI, Advisory Committee. December 8, 2013 2013
- Institutional Review Board. November 29, 2013 2013
- AAPOR Book Award Committee. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- ANES Board. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- NSF Panel, Political Science. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- Reporting Standards Committee, APSA Experimental Section. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- APSA Award Committee, 2009 Philip E. Converse Book. December 28, 2009 - December 28, 2009 2009
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.