Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
OCT 29, 2018
AUG 5, 2016 TIME
JUN 1, 2016 The News & Observer
MAY 9, 2016 Humanities Magazine
MAR 11, 2016 Fox News Latino
MAR 2, 2016 The Globe and Mail
MAR 1, 2016 The Globe and Mail
Awards & Honors
- 2009 Robert E. Lane Award. APSA. December 2009
- ANES WEB: American National Election Studies 2018-2021 awarded by Stanford University 2018 - 2021
- Making Young Voters: Policy Reforms to Increase Youth Turnout awarded by National Science Foundation 2017 - 2020
- Integrating Multiple Data Sources to Account for Nonignorable Nonresponse awarded by National Science Foundation 2017 - 2019
- The Link between Education, Engagement, and Well-being awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2017
- NCRN-MN:Triangle Census Research Network awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2016
- Multiple Imputation Methods for Handling Missing Data in Longitudinal Studies with Refreshment Samples awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2014
- Workshop on Questionnaire Design Issues in Longitudinal & Repeated Cross-sectional Surveys: Balancing Continuity/Innov awarded by National Science Foundation 2011
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Hillygus, DS, and Shields, TG. The persuadable voter: Wedge issues in presidential campaigns. : Princeton University Press, August 10, 2009.
Hillygus, D Sunshine, Norman H. Nie, Kenneth Prewitt, and Heili Pals. The Hard Count: The Political and Social Challenges of Census Mobilization. Russell Sage Foundation, 2006.
- Holbein, JB, and Hillygus, DS. "Making Young Voters: The Impact of Preregistration on Youth Turnout." American Journal of Political Science 60, no. 2 (March 1, 2016): 364-382. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Si, Y, Reiter, JP, and Hillygus, DS. "Semi-parametric selection models for potentially non-ignorable attrition in panel studies with refreshment samples." Political Analysis 23, no. 1 (January 1, 2015): 92-112. Full Text
Aldrich, John H., Bradford H. Bishop, Rebecca S. Hatch, S. D. Hillygus, and David W. Rohde. “Blame, Responsibility, and the Tea Party in the 2010 Midterm Elections.” Political Behavior 36, no. 3 (September 2014): 471–91. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11109-013-9242-4.Full Text
Johnston, Christopher D., D Sunshine Hillygus, and Brandon L. Bartels. “Ideology, the Affordable Care Act Ruling, and Supreme Court Legitimacy.” Public Opinion Quarterly 78, no. 4 (2014): 963–73. https://doi.org/10.1093/poq/nfu036.Full Text
- Frankel, LL, and Hillygus, DS. "Looking beyond demographics: Panel attrition in the ANES and GSS." Political Analysis 22, no. 3 (January 1, 2014): 336-353. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS, and Treul, SA. "Assessing strategic voting in the 2008 US presidential primaries: the role of electoral context, institutional rules, and negative votes." Public Choice 161, no. 3-4 (January 1, 2014): 517-536. Full Text
- Deng, Y, Hillygus, DS, Reiter, JP, Si, Y, and Zheng, S. "Handling attrition in longitudinal studies: The case for refreshment samples." Statistical Science 28, no. 2 (May 1, 2013): 238-256. Full Text
Frankel, Laura, and D Sunshine Hillygus. “Panel Attrition and the Survey Experience.” Political Analysis, 2013.
- Hillygus, DS. "The evolution of election polling in the United States." Public Opinion Quarterly 75, no. 5 SPEC. ISSUE (December 26, 2011): 962-981. Full Text
Henderson, Michael, and D Sunshine Hillygus. “The dynamics of health care opinion, 2008-2010: partisanship, self-interest, and racial resentment..” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 36, no. 6 (December 2011): 945–60. https://doi.org/10.1215/03616878-1460533.Full Text
Henderson, M., and D. S. Hillygus. “The Dynamics of Health Care Opinion, 2008-2010.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law, 2011.
- Elis, R, Hillygus, DS, and Nie, N. "The dynamics of candidate evaluations and vote choice in 2008: Looking to the past or future?." Electoral Studies 29, no. 4 (December 1, 2010): 582-593. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS, and Henderson, M. "Political issues and the Dynamics of vote choice in 2008." Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties 20, no. 2 (May 1, 2010): 241-269. Full Text
- Henderson, M, Hillygus, DS, and Tompson, T. ""Sour grapes" or rational voting? Voter decision making among thwarted primary voters in 2008." Public Opinion Quarterly 74, no. 3 (March 1, 2010): 499-529. Full Text
Ellis, R., D. S. Hillygus, and N. Nie. “Retrospective or Prospective Voting in 2008.” Electoral Studies, 2010.
Henderson, M., and D. S. Hillygus. “Policy Issues and the Dynamics of Vote Choice in the 2008 Presidential Election.” Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, 2010.
- Treier, S, and Hillygus, DS. "The nature of political ideology in the contemporary electorate." Public Opinion Quarterly 73, no. 4 (December 31, 2010): 679-703. Full Text
Burden, B., and D. S. Hillygus. “Opinion Formation, Polarization, and Presidential Reelection.” Presidential Studies Quarterly, 2009.
- HILLYGUS, DSUNSHINE. "The Dynamics of Voter Decision Making Among Minor-Party Supporters: The 2000 Presidential Election in the United States." British Journal of Political Science 37, no. 2 (April 2007): 225-244. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS, and Shields, TG. "Moral issues and voter decision making in the 2004 presidential election." Ps Political Science and Politics 38, no. 2 (April 1, 2005): 201-209. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS. "The missing link: Exploring the relationship between higher education and political engagement." Political Behavior 27, no. 1 (March 1, 2005): 25-47. Full Text
- Hillygus, DS, and Jackman, S. "Voter Decision Making in Election 2000: Campaign Effects, Partisan Activation, and the Clinton Legacy." American Journal of Political Science 47, no. 4 (October 1, 2003): 583-596. (Review) Full Text
Frankel, Laura, and D. S. Hillygus. “Niche Communication in Political Campaigns.” In Oxford Handbook on Political Communication, edited by Kathleen Hall Jamieson and Kate Kenski. Oxford University Press, 2014.
Hillygus, D. S., N. Jackson, and M. Young. ““Professional Respondents in Online Survey Panels,” Online Panel Research - A Data Quality Perspective..” In Online Panel Research - A Data Quality Perspective, edited by R Baker M Callegaro, P. Lavrakas, J. Krosnick, J. Bethlehem, and A. Gritz. Wiley, 2014.
Hillygus, D. S., and B. Burden. “Mass Polarization in the Bush Presidency.” In The Presidency of George W. Bush: Perspectives on the Forty-Third President of the United States, edited by D. Kelly and T. Shields. Texas A&M Press, 2013.
Bishop, B., and D. S. Hillygus. “Campaigning, Debating, Advertising.” In Oxford Handbook on Media and Public Opinion, edited by L. Jacobs and R. Shapiro. Oxford University Press (OUP), 2011.
Hillygus, D. S. “The Practice of Survey Research: Changes and Challenges’.” In New Directions in Public Opinion Resesarch, 2011.
Hillygus, D. S. “The Need for Survey Reporting Standards in Political Science.” In The Future of Political Science: 100 Perspectives, 2009.
Hillygus, D. S. “Campaign Effects on Vote Choice.” In Oxford Handbook on Political Behavior, 2009.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- EHD 395: Bass Connections: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2019
- EHD 795: Bass Connections: Interdisciplinary Team Projects 2019
- POLSCI 239S: Political Communication in a Changing Media Environment 2019
- POLSCI 390S-4: Special Topics in Political Behavior and Identities 2019
- POLSCI 393-1: Sophomore/Junior Research Independent Study Political Theory 2019
- POLSCI 704: Survey Methodology Practicum 2019
- PUBPOL 393: Research Independent Study 2019
- POLSCI 201: Public Opinion 2018
- POLSCI 391-4: Senior Independent Study in Political Behavior and Identities 2018
- POLSCI 610S: Political Persuasion 2018
- POLSCI 714: Workshop in Political Behavior and Identities II 2017
- POLSCI 799: Special Readings 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Service to Duke
- Editorial Board, Journal of Experimental Political Science. December 26, 2013 2013
- Executive Council, Midwest Political Science Association. December 26, 2013 2013
- Scientific Advisory Committee, U.S. Census Bureau. December 26, 2013 2013
- Advisory Board, Public Opinion Quarterly. December 8, 2013 - December 8, 2013 2013
- SSRI, Advisory Committee. December 8, 2013 2013
- Institutional Review Board. November 29, 2013 2013
- AAPOR Book Award Committee. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- ANES Board. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- NSF Panel, Political Science. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- Reporting Standards Committee, APSA Experimental Section. December 8, 2011 - December 8, 2011 2011
- APSA Award Committee, 2009 Philip E. Converse Book. December 28, 2009 - December 28, 2009 2009
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.